Message Boards > Foaling Questions & Help

HC Minis 2020 line-up...

<< < (2/22) > >>

Chanda:
I did pasture breeding for the 2016 foals; he caught 3 out of 4 mares (the third foal was redbag), so I know he can get the job done; but I don't know if I'll survive a month of this...  While not mean, he's being very persistent with the mare he's pursuing, and she's not thrilled with him; I'm pretty sure she's in heat, but probably not in standing heat quite yet.   I'll try to stick it out, and watch for any signs of too much aggression that could get someone hurt; this will likely be my last breeding season with all 4 of these mares, but one or two may be tried again in the future, depending on how well this goes.  [Likely only the one mare, depending on how things go.  I can't seem to let the foals go, so I really don't need to be doing much breeding anyway.]

Ryan:
Well this is exciting  :)

dcwolcott:
Isn't it, Ryan!  I can't wait to hear the results!

Chanda:
Ok, I have to change something up...   I only feed hard feed in the morning, as they are getting a vit/min supplement in a carrier of pelleted feed; well, Topper hasn't eaten his "breakfast" the last two days.  I'm pretty sure it's anticipation of going out to grass with the girls (he's with them 24/7 right now, but on drylot at night, as my pasture area isn't secure from coyotes for night time grazing).   Not sure if I should change up his food or just the timing, and see about feeding him after they come in from grass; but everytime I change my routine, I forget something or someone.   
Any ideas?

dcwolcott:
Sorry was away babysitting yesterday from Friday afternoon.

With all that you have going on the ranch and with the horses, I don't know how you keep track of everything without forgetting someone.  Do whatever works for you.  I'm sure the horses will be fine with your choices!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version