Author Topic: Pet Peeves - I can't stand it any more I have to post...  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Pet Peeves - I can't stand it any more I have to post...
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »
Most are horse related, but a few are not.  And, I'm sure the list will grow as I come across the offenders.   Feel free to add yours.

Horses have one Udder with two teats.   They do not have udders or utters.

It's filly (girl) and colt (boy); not filly colt and stud colt (these seem to be more regional I believe, my in laws and all the ranchers around here use them).

Gelding, not gilding.   Broodmare, not broadmare.   

"Growed", my mother in law uses this all the time.   [My garden growed, he growed a lot, etc.]

Blood Vein - also my in laws.   It's a blood vessel; veins carry deoxygenated to the heart, arteries carry oxygenated from the heart (exceptions with vessels between heart and lungs).

We won't even get into it with there, their, they're; as we have all done them while in a hurry typing here on the internet.

Whew, I feel a bit better now.    :D

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Renée

Re: Pet Peeves - I can't stand it any more I have to post...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:42:48 AM »
ooooh, this is going to be fun!  ;)
I have a few horse related ones but not about language.
My first is braided tails. Horses need their tails and once they are braided they become a whip. It is especially frustrating when there is a new foal in with her. Often on cam I see poor foals being whipped by mum's tail. Also it can be really hard to pull a braided tail out from under mum when she is foaling and laying on it. It takes 2 mins to braid and roll up then wrap in vet wrap, and then I always remove it straight after foaling.
Pet peeve number 2 is head collars (halters in America) left on mares with new babies. This is a potential disaster waiting to happen as new mum's are tied and will lay down for hours after birth and new wobbly babies can get their little legs stuck in them.
ok I am done! heeeee

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »
Fun!  And then ...... all mares give us "udder madness" !!   ;D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
Ooh, those are very good, Renee.

Along those lines, ill-fitting or ill-adjusted halters.  I can't stand to see them hanging clear down at the horse's nostrils, they are only supposed to be a finger width or two belong the prominent cheek bones.  Hanging across the lower nose can cause damage if they spook or have a fit over something.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
My biggest pet peeve.... people who are closed minded! There are many different ways to do things and some people dont allow grace onto others for doing things differently!

With that said... I detest when people foal out mares in NASTY dirty stalls! The risk of infection is so much greater, its disgusting to see pictures of foals sleeping in stalls knee deep in feces. Its so much easier to keep up with it then to let it build up, and its just GROSS! >:D
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »
By biggest pet peeve right now - the film Annie as I'm watching it and it's awful.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
LOL!!
Thats funny!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Renée

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:34:39 AM »
Annie!! lol  ;D

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »
Halters left on in paddocks . I had to tell my cousin the other day who is now adgisting a few horses to tell her agistee to remove the halter.

Annie - OMG it was horrendous , why they insist on remaking some "Classic old movies" into rubbish is beyond me :)

The thing that peeeeeeeeves me off the most is people who treat their horse gear like crap. leave brushes in the mud, saddles still sitting on the gate ( or lives there) ect

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »
So far, all of these are great!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:28:30 AM »
I knew I'd remember more...

It's roaning, not roaming; but, since my kindle just auto corrected to roaming, I know where it might come from.  I try to fix those bad auto corrects, but miss some.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 06:31:13 PM »
Personally, I HATE auto-correct.  It makes me crazy!  Some of the things it comes up with are nuts!  But that's not half as bad as when you dictate a response to a text message from your phone.  OMG!  Sometimes just a waste of time, because you have to stop and correct all the mistaken words!  But then, I hate texting, too.  Give me a regular phone any day and just talk to me!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:11 PM »
Im with you Diane , cannot stand getting into a texting marathon. Id rather just make the call and have a chat :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »
I only have a regular phone.
I couldn't imagine trying to text on a phone, I have enough trouble using the stylus to type on my kindle when I use it.  I have to use the stylus, as the touch screens don't seem to like me, they rarely respond to my touch.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
When I arrived here in NC, I was directed to go to a Walking Horse show...  There were bay/white pintos everywhere (some were quite beautiful!!), but the announcer kept referring to "Tri-Color" horses.  During a break, when there were some different colored horses in the ring, I turned to the couple next to me and had to ask what the reference was.  The couple (man/wife) both looked at me like I'd arrived from outer space - and said "...well, the one right in front of us and those two over there are Tri's...".  My comment back was "OOOOHHHH, you mean the bay/white tobianos???"  Again, got "the look"...  Can't stand the term "tri-color" as used for horses - for one - do they mean bay/white or buckskin/white or roan/white??

Recently had a horse color described to me as a "calico".  Sorry, calicos are cats (& in the past there was a definite difference between calicos and torti's, now not so much, again here in NC it seems to be interchangeable).  I totally didn't understand (the horse was a buckskin and white with dark, well defined black points and nice, really gold spots with a mixed mane and solid black, non-faded black tail).  But  then there was a post recently on Equine Genetics FB page that was talking about Dr Sponenberg having used the "Calico" in reference to a specific spotting pattern...  (?? - can't remember what type of pattern/color it was- but pretty sure it wasn't for a typical buckskin tobiano).

I have gone to using the term "spot" - it seems to work with all the non-horse people, including my family, here.  It's also just easier than always having to explain "painted" paint/pinto terms - especially with all the changes in "Overo" (OMG, I used the wrong term.  I'm referring to rabicano, frame, sabino and white gene) patterns (bay spot in pasture one, black spot in pasture 3, 6 silver spots - in Jr mares pasture).  I do understand that my using the word "spot" is irritating to others, though, ROFLMBO.

I have a lot of others, but can't think of them right now...

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC