Author Topic: Ooooopsie, I FOUND you!!! LOL  (Read 957 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Ooooopsie, I FOUND you!!! LOL
« on: June 05, 2016, 08:17:47 AM »
Hey y'all! Here I am too!!  ;D I'm so glad to be a part of this new forum, even though I own no mares....yet.

I live in Raeford, NC. My most loving, forward-thinking husband gave me a home on .67 of an acre last year for Mothers' Day. It was COMPLETELY vines covered--from the back property line, right up to the road.  :o

It took until January to clear it, prep a site for a travel trailer, and get a pen built for Spanky. The small home on the place was built in 1944 and she was in a coma. Good roof and sound bones except for front room. When the home was built, there was this BIIIIG TREE cut down---that was then used as the front corner foundation!!

So now we've celebrated our one year anniversary of being here. The foundation on 1/2 of the home has been replaced. The lot has been cleared, by my husband using 2 machetes!  ;D. The various dump piles have been cleared. We have a giant burn pile out back that I'll have to deal with a bit at a time. The Earth spits up glass and trash every day. I expect she will for the next 30 years, since that's about how long folks were dumping.

I named our place Silver City Heritage Farmstead. Silver City is the Census Designated Place in which we live. It's in the Raeford Planning District in Hoke county, North Carolina. My plan is to be as self-sufficient as possible. I'm working on establishing a micro-farm. To that end, I'm planting in recycled raised beds this year. Tomatoes and herbs are in, the next two weeks seeds go in....hope I'm not too late!

I went a bit crazy on chickens one weekend and didn't stick to my plan of Heritage breeds. I did plan to have banties, so I have a pullet and cockerel. I also have two banty chicks. Two Polish roos, one black crested black, one white crested black. Polish chicks:  one splash (pullet  ^-^) one Tolbunt, two silver-laced, six buff. Two Campine (which are on the Livestock Conservancy critical list.) I LOVE these last two!! They're not the flashiest in my flock, however, they're the BEST free-range birds...and smart, smart, smart!! The two roos just turned a year (yes, they were a pity purchase, ask if you want details) and the chicks are 2 months old. The banty pullet and cockerel are 5-6 months old and I'm vigilantly watching for that first egg!  ;pray

As far as four-leggeds go, one mini horse gelding (Spanky is his barn name), a Jack Russell terrier (Lucky) a Dutch Shepherd mix (Penny) a Rottweiler mix ( Guacho-pronounced whachoh) and a calico cat (Simona). All the girls are spayed.

I'll end my intro with this.......

PICTURES COMING SOON!! ROFL
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Ooooopsie, I FOUND you!!! LOL
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Personally, it sounds like a great "goings-on" at your place!  I'm looking forward to pictures!

We're so glad you found us!  And I love the update -- but you must learn.....WE LOVE PICTURES!!!!!

Sounds like you've accomplished A LOT in one year!!

So share pictures of Spanky, and all the chicken gang!  We're not particular on what kinds of animals we talk about, and we will happily wait for EGGS too!!

Welcome!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:59:48 AM »
That sounds great! Our little "funny farm" is kind of like that.  We have just over 2 acres with 2 mini horses (one due anytime for a foal), one pit belly pig, 3 massive dogs (st Bernard and Bernard mixes) a mix of Banty and rock  hens, bunnies, cats and guinea pigs. We paid for 2  goats!  We get them once they are weaned and then plan on getting one cow :) 

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
See ya here!  MISSED you!!

Can't wait for pics.  Need to come see you eventually (again).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Yeah, glad you found us.  Can't wait to see pics of your menagerie.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
Awesome !! Glad your here!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »
Love your story. Welcome!

Offline Renée

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 03:03:31 AM »
Welcome and thanks for the great intro, it sounds like you have had a busy year. Your hubby sounds like the perfect guy!  ;) I look forward to seeing some pics.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »
Welcome Julie and yes we will be holding you too pictures when you have a chance :)