Author Topic: HC Minis 2016 foaling line-up  (Read 23730 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: HC Minis 2016 foaling line-up
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
That's the one thing people who like appys don't understand.  Most think you need leopards to make patterned babies, but you can breed 2 LOUD leopard appaloosas, and get a foal with no patterning 25% of the time.  I had it happen here once.  Got a solid foal, from two loud leopard appaloosa parents.  I was pretty disappointed to say the least.  He didn't stay here, and I moved to breeding more fewspots -- both stallions and mares as I love the patterning they can produce!

But I love the solid appy-bred mares, as bred to a homozygous stallion (fewspot or snowcap) you get visual appy every time!

Tana threw an exceptionally nice baby for you!!  He'll be so handsome as he grows!! There's a lot of drooling in my keyboard!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
That's the one thing people who like appys don't understand.  Most think you need leopards to make patterned babies, but you can breed 2 LOUD leopard appaloosas, and get a foal with no patterning 25% of the time.  I had it happen here once.  Got a solid foal, from two loud leopard appaloosa parents.  I was pretty disappointed to say the least.  He didn't stay here, and I moved to breeding more fewspots -- both stallions and mares as I love the patterning they can produce!

But I love the solid appy-bred mares, as bred to a homozygous stallion (fewspot or snowcap) you get visual appy every time!

Tana threw an exceptionally nice baby for you!!  He'll be so handsome as he grows!! There's a lot of drooling in my keyboard!!

This is very true. My mare who had a beautiful big blanket was bred to a very loud leopard 4 times and all four times had foal with not one spot ! Not even a blaze or white foot! Lol but she was bred to a jet black appy stud with zero white markings 3 times and all three times had GORGEOUS foals filled with colour and spots. :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2016, 12:40:29 AM »
I don't think I asked here.
Can a non pregnant mare have "milk" that tests at around 7?
Misty had a tiny bit of fluid to give, it tested around 7; I didn't have the color card with me, but it was that green that is the middle range of the foal test strips.  [I know the pool strips show different colors.]
She honestly doesn't look big enough to be pregnant now; but sure did when she still had her winter woolies.   Not sticking out to the sides, just a bit of a low belly.   My girls are 38", and I know the bigger ones can often hide it better than the small ones do; but she would be over 320 days from the last day Topper was out with the mares, so thinking it's probably a no.

the only one that looks a little bit pregnant is Tilly, but I feel it's just chunky donkey I'm looking at.  She still has her woolies largely intact, need to do some more grooming or clip her if the heat continues to rise.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2016, 09:59:32 PM »
I know it's just an old wives tale, so often doesn't work, but the string test is still kind of fun.
Anyway, I tested all my mares over the winter.   The two that were never exposed, the nail never moved.  The other 4 it moved.  Today, I tested two mares that already foaled, no movement; the exposed mare that hasn't foaled the nail moved.  So we'll see what happens, but we are getting towards the end of decent gestation time frame, so hard to say what may happen.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »
Chanda, when Kate came to me she was very overweight, she had a small udder one side bigger than other, and she had white milk that tested 6.8! I thought maybe she was going to foal or just weaned a foal but nope she was a maiden, Vet tested for mastitis, and she was clear, vet said was due to the weight, as she lost weight she dried up.
But I sure hope its a wee one cooking in there for you!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
Chanda, when Kate came to me she was very overweight, she had a small udder one side bigger than other, and she had white milk that tested 6.8! I thought maybe she was going to foal or just weaned a foal but nope she was a maiden, Vet tested for mastitis, and she was clear, vet said was due to the weight, as she lost weight she dried up.
But I sure hope its a wee one cooking in there for you!

Misty doesn't have an extra ounce on her, so even harder to tell if she might be packing a foal or not.  These mares of mine are good at not looking overly pregnant, even with their second foals they have carrying pretty high and tight, but since I didn't breed them back to back, they had plenty of time to suck it all back up.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »
Well then, I'm crossing my fingers for at least 1 more foal for you.  And I'd sure love to see Tilly have a little long ears!!

And don't forget, 320 days isn't the magic number for some girls.  My Carrie was a 365 day mare every year!  She's the red roan on the fat mare page!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
Well then, I'm crossing my fingers for at least 1 more foal for you.  And I'd sure love to see Tilly have a little long ears!!

And don't forget, 320 days isn't the magic number for some girls.  My Carrie was a 365 day mare every year!  She's the red roan on the fat mare page!

I can't remember what day it was, but I've passed the last possible 320 day point for Misty, but we haven't hit the last possible 365 day point, so it's still possible, just not probable.  And, Baybe would be about 10 days behind Misty if she took on the only hand cover date.   And, Tilly, well I just don't have a date for that, cause if it happened, Che` did it by himself, some how; but with the way Tilly can contort when she wants to, it just might be possible.

I have a quilt retreat to vend at tomorrow night, so that is a likely time for one to go, I must go as it's my main income for the year for my fabric biz, which also helps to support the ponies.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »
While she would be going quite a bit longer than her maiden pregnancy that was around 320 days, perhaps Misty is waiting for another Father's Day performance, she had Junior on Father's Day in 2012, I believe that year it was June 17th.

July 15th was the last day that Topper was turned out with his mares.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Renée

« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2016, 03:20:06 AM »
Chanda, I have had an open mare bag up and test 6.8. She really had me thinking she was going to foal but then it slowly went down and no baby appeared.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:40 AM »
Chanda, I have had an open mare bag up and test 6.8. She really had me thinking she was going to foal but then it slowly went down and no baby appeared.

That's what I'm afraid of, but will still watch.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »
And we're crossing fingers and hoping with you!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
And we're crossing fingers and hoping with you!!

Thanks, Diane.   Misty is quite thin for her, not emaciated or anything like that, just thin for her, especially if she were to be carrying a foal, so it doesn't look promising, but maybe this year, she's cooking up something good for me.   And, after my AQHA mare went nearly a year with a filly, I won't count out a long pregnancy producing a filly.  [I had always read that colts cooked longer than fillies, so when my mare was pushing a year, I assumed she would produce a colt, so was a bit surprised by the filly she had.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »
My mare Carrie, who carried for a full 365 days each year, produced a filly all but one year.  So, I'm with you on that!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2016, 03:45:01 AM »
My mare Carrie, who carried for a full 365 days each year, produced a filly all but one year.  So, I'm with you on that!
Mine seem good at producing colts.
Chanda
HC Minis