Author Topic: HC Minis 2016 foaling line-up  (Read 23227 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: HC Minis 2016 foaling line-up
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2016, 11:06:48 PM »
Nothing to do with foaling, but...   tried a little watermelon on the minis today, almost a complete bomb.  I have 11 minis and a mini donkey; Che` loved it and ate every piece I offered him (3-4, maybe 5 tiny pieces), Dolly at 2-3 pieces then quit, no one else did more than sniff and give me a dirty look.    Have read on several forums, that others have horses that just love watermelon, well the odds aren't good around here.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2016, 08:18:03 AM »
I think I tried it once many years ago, and had the same results you did.  I was a bit disappointed, because this town is know for watermelon season and they even have a festival, since it's a "crop" here.  But, none of mine were very impressed.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »
First load of hay home.
"My Field" had 41 bales of straight grass hay this year, perfect for Tilly and the horses that share that paddock; so need to see if he has 30 more bales of straight grass hay available.   [One year, it produced very well, we got like 80 bales, last year no rain so only 12 bales, that someone else grabbed first.]
Filled the rest of the trailer out of the stack, grass/alfalfa mix hay, so will stack that for Topper's winter supply;  he can have and handle alfalfa mix hay, or at least has in the past without trouble.   Saw what looked like straight grass in the stack, but it was in the middle of a 100' long stack of hay, if I pulled from the middle and caused the stack to fall, I would probably be banned for life from getting hay from Ron.   [Going to call him, and see if he'll let me know when the stack has been picked to close to that point, so I can come get another 30 bales of grass.    Or, if he thinks he'll have a cutting of grass off another field.]
Now, to go unload the trailer before it starts to rain, again. 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »
WOW!  Lots of work Chanda!  Give Topper a great, big HUG and tell him how proud we are of his babies this year!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
I've got 30 head right now...  Not one is real interested in watermelon - the actual fruit or the rinds.  They just shrivel up and become part of the pasture, which right now isn't a bad thing.  Trying to change a very sandy area to "dirt".  Have a lot of manure to add into it - but at 112* heat indices lately, I just haven't gotten it moved (by hand - no tractor, LOL).

Congrats on the hay!  I sure know how that is...  I need to get some more small squares.  I'm only getting them 10-30 at a time right now - since I'm the only one loading/unloading and we've had such rain storms every afternoon/eve.

Day before yesterday (Friday evening) we had a pretty violent storm - lots of lightning, wind, rain, hail.  We didn't have a significant amount of damage, but a tree fell on our neighbors chain link fence (he's bummed but already had the fence company out to repair it!).  Another neighbor, straight down our road and who used to own our property 3 owners ago, had a barn/indoor arena and lost the whole roof.  A 3rd neighbor - at the end of our road - also had severe damage, but I have no details since we don't generally get along and I haven't been down to see his place...  We are in the process of mowing and cutting up the one tree that did come down (rotted at the roots) w/o actually hitting anything. 
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC