Author Topic: How to tell if the mare is in foal??  (Read 1288 times)

Offline clara cain

How to tell if the mare is in foal??
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
My new miniature mare arrived from Indiana after Easter.  Her owner said she had not been in season since it was winter up there.  Three days after her arrival here in Florida she started.  We let that season pass and one more month also just to get her settled in  from travel and a new place and a new stallion.  We put her in with the stallion then the third month--June.  Once again on the third week of the month she was in again and was receptive of him. She would stand for him,  However, he seemed to wear himself out all day long---mounting, but never getting it in, rubbing it on the top of her tail.   We tried to hold her on halter and wrap her tail and hold it aside and he said , "no, I am not going to do it with you all part of this."  We left them together .  At night she slept and ate her grain in her own stall.  Then one morning, she turned on him and kicked and drove him away.  This month she did not come in.  Do you think it means he finally connected?  Or do the mares just stop coming into season in the summer?

Offline Ryan

Re: How to tell if the mare is in foal??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

My mares continue to come into season right the way through the summer months here. There is a very good chance he covered her if she has not come back into season.

Ryan :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 05:53:02 AM »
Hi Clara!  I'm so glad you joined us here!  That beautiful girl may have taken.  You'll have to keep us posted, and show us that handsome boy you have, too.  They are going to make a beautiful baby !!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
Normally it would mean they have conceived. My old mare tends to be the exception as for two years in a row she covered at the start then did not season again until the end of summer. Shes again following this pattern, so i will be very interested to find out if she has a foal or not.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »
I'm really crossing my fingers that she's pregnant, as I know this will be a beautiful cross!  I hope you post a picture of your stallion, Clara.  He is so handsome!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'