Author Topic: Quilts...  (Read 27114 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Re: Quilts...
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
Chanda!!!!

I found a really cool YouTube channel in the Missouri Quilting Company.  She generally uses Moda and the Jelly Rolls or Charm Squares in different sizes (I will have to cut my own - cutting is what has always taken me so much time).  But then she shows how to do different squares and patterns - w/o lots of extra cutting & no pinning.  WOW, so cool. 

REALLY like the Jacobs Ladder quilt - she shows it in a shade on shade pattern from Moda and then a 2 tone (red/white). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itUKAJ6RaOc

I think I've finally found what I was looking for in beginner easy.  No to get all my stuff actually unpacked and set up so that maybe I can do this.

I like the Serendipity quilt, too, but that's just way to busy for me.  I'd have to do more of the same color - to many fabric patterns in her demo. 

Watching some more now while I drink 2nd cup of coffee before chores...

Paula, I went to that link. Unfortunately for me.....there are graphs. Graphs = math. Math and I are NOT friends!!!  ::)  :o :o ::)

Seeing that quilting looks like it involves math is what keeps me from even trying. I don't want my head to explode from the frustration of starting something and then not finishing. Can quilting be done without math??  ;pray
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »
Paula, I went to that link. Unfortunately for me.....there are graphs. Graphs = math. Math and I are NOT friends!!!  ::)  :o :o ::)

Seeing that quilting looks like it involves math is what keeps me from even trying. I don't want my head to explode from the frustration of starting something and then not finishing. Can quilting be done without math??  ;pray

Julie, I think if you find the right pattern and or book, you can do basic quilting with minimal math.  There aren't a lot of patterns in it, but the book "Your First Quilt Book or it Should Be" by Carol Doak, is a really good beginners quilting book.  Has a couple basic quilts in, the math is all done for you, lots of good beginner basics information in it.    [It was my first good quilt book I bought, wish it had been the very first, then I probably would have passed on buying a couple I did, that I didn't like as well.  I made my second quilt from this book, a lovely little Irish Chain for my mom.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
Hmm, I went back out to the link and not sure where you are seeing graphs?  Is it because of the quilt(s) in the back ground that might look like graphs?  Or maybe the little cutting boards & rulers she uses - that DO have the numbers and lines on them - to cut the fabric?

Is anyone else seeing graphs? 

In all actuality, the Jacobs Ladder pattern IS NOT a beginner quilt - when you cut each individual piece the way I started out doing many years ago.  But it is a pattern I've always loved and it can be done in just two colors - the MSQC shows it in a finished quilt that does a lot of pattern shifts due to the color gradations of her fabric AND the demo is done in red and white - just two colors.  I was fascinated by the EASY (or EASIER?) techniques she demo'd  that made it so much faster to do.  Putting the pre-cut strips together first, then cutting those to make the squares.  Then putting those two color squares together with the next one and it makes a larger 4 patch square.

One of her other videos shows how to do a "string block".  I always thought that meant they were using string or something, I don't know.  It is actually a way to make many types of blocks with different materials (patterns) - by piecing on paper.  I still didn't understand that - until watching her video not once but a couple of times before the "AH HA" lite went on.  W/O cutting fabric into little pieces (you do need at least one proper straight edge on the piece and preferably 1 on each side), she shows how to use the pieces to make a block in a design and then again cuts that block from 1 corner to the other & then another corner to the other - making striped triangles that can then be made into different designs.  It was/is fascinating...

I can't find the paper pieced one - will look for it later, gotta go!

818pm - AH - found it!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ02NM9-USw

I think this is the one, though I thought I watched one made with Xmas fabric - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05OwI46u1oY

The one is shown with striped fabric - not precut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xgM1H2X18

I decided that if half my quilt is made up of Army uniforms that have been taken apart (takes forever, breaks fingernails & seam rippers, lots of blisters) - then maybe for the contrasting colors, investing in precut squares and strips would make it much easier/faster to do a quilt.  I hope to eventually find out.

Part of what I liked about the MSQC's You Tube videos is the fact that she's working with a lot of pre-cut fabric that didn't require doing a lot of measuring - the measurements are built in due to the sizing of the precut fabric (5" & 10" squares, 2.5" strips that are 40-45" long.  Honestly that's where a lot of my own hang up is - so for me - that was a revelation!  Even if I take materiel that I already have (I have a LOT of clothes that I've sat and taken apart) and then cut it into strips or squares like the precuts they sell, then use the techniques that she shows for sewing them (had never heard of putting two 10" squares together, sewing the WHOLE THING all around the edges in a complete square, and then cutting it from one corner to the next and then again from the other corner to the next making 4 separate units that are now triangles that are sewn together and  when opened up and pressed flat are now squares).  Saves time, no measuring or very,very little.  I was fascinated and excited and HOOKED....  I've watched several others of her videos since then and have been looking at/studying the various fabrics...

Hmmmmm
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »
I'm getting caught up.
Here's a start to the next quilt.
What do you think Ryan?  Just barely a start, so easy enough to make changes.  Thinking of using the heart print as a center square focal, and surrounding it with the stars.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »
Love it Chanda :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Love it Chanda :)

I'll keep working on it.  I have 5 different colors for the stars, so at least 2 blocks of each, probably a couple more to make it the right size.
Thank you.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:40 PM »
Neighbor already has a new grandbaby here, colors are blue, green and brown, so I found these fabrics in my cupboard and I'm looking for a green.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2016, 06:37:07 AM »
Huh.  I'm not a huge fan of brown and turquoise (or brown & pink) but I LIKE that combo!  Can't wait to see what you do with it. 

Thanks for sharing, Chanda.  It's been inspirational.  I had some plans this week to do some cleaning in the office and go thru some boxes - but this fever and hacking cough has put the brakes on the project.  I'm barely dragging out to do chores and then I'm thoroughly exhausted.  But then cough doesn't allow good sleep either...   :( 

But this too shall pass (eventually).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Huh.  I'm not a huge fan of brown and turquoise (or brown & pink) but I LIKE that combo!  Can't wait to see what you do with it. 

I'm not all that crazy about the combo either, but the frog print pulls it together.  And, for all I know she was talking about grass green, royal blue and chocolate brown; but these are the fabrics I have in my cupboard (green is on order, hope it works), so these are what I'm using.  I love the little frog print.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
Just got this horse print in:
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2016, 06:17:44 PM »
Very pretty!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »
I love those!  I've been eyeing those two prints.

Where did you order yours from and how much fabric do you typically order from each cut that you purchase?  Just curious... 

I actually put fabric on my Amazon Wish List (quite a bit,  ::)  ) and we'll see if any of my family truly checks it out (LOLOLOL).  I'd actually love to get some fabrics for Christmas.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
I love those!  I've been eyeing those two prints.

Where did you order yours from and how much fabric do you typically order from each cut that you purchase?  Just curious... 

I actually put fabric on my Amazon Wish List (quite a bit,  ::)  ) and we'll see if any of my family truly checks it out (LOLOLOL).  I'd actually love to get some fabrics for Christmas.
Paula,
  I order from wholesalers, mostly for resale, but some for personal use.  I got my Tax ID 14 years ago so I could buy wholesale for resale (I had an eBay store then, closed it in 2014).   [I moved my inventory to FB, started on a couple established fabric sale groups, then started my own group for  my fabric.]
I have these two Christmas horse prints for $6/yard plus s/h.
And, since I'm buying wholesale, each print is usually 5yard to 15 yards (I can get 5 yard cuts from one supplier, otherwise fabric usually comes 15 yard bolts, sometimes a little shorter).

When I want small yardage for personal use only I order from Fabric.com  FabricDepot.com  Connecting threads, and Craftsy.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2016, 06:55:01 AM »
Question for you quilters. My mom makes a lot of quilts, I am having her help me make two small kid size quilts for my grand babies for Christmas. They are 2&3 yrs old. We are using old denim jeans we have cut into 8 inch squares. The top row is all pockets, so cute!!
My question is, because it's made of denim, it's not soft so I am using a fleece backer. I am not sure if I should add a layer of baton in the middle or not. I am not sure if it would be to heavy.
The quilts are for their beds, and are 5 x 7 approximately.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
Holly, often the batting is left out of denim quilts with fleece backing, as the weight of the denim and warmth of the fleece is plenty.  Also the bulk is plenty to work with, whether tying or quilting.
Chanda
HC Minis