Author Topic: Quilts...  (Read 27306 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Quilts...
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2016, 10:45:40 PM »
Just loving what I see!!  You are so gifted Chanda!
Thank you.

Put together my first block, well, almost, short fabric with my test strips, so almost have my first block, but you can kind of see what we have going on.   Will make as many of the blue blocks as I can, and see how much zebra I need to cut to fill in to make the size needed.  I think I'll use the zebra stripe print for the backing, as the coloring is a bit different from the zebra print.  [And, the grey doesn't go and isn't really needed, so pulled it.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2016, 05:52:50 AM »
Beautiful!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »
Made a few cutting mistakes or there would be another block in there, but here are the first several blocks laid out with the zebra.  I can make bigger zebra pieces, if you'd like; but think every other placement works pretty good.   The blue is fabulous, if you ask me.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:58 PM »
It looks beautiful, Chanda!  And I will happily go with your choices, as I've never, ever been disappointed with your work or designs!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2016, 02:04:52 AM »
It looks beautiful, Chanda!  And I will happily go with your choices, as I've never, ever been disappointed with your work or designs!!

Thank you, very much.
We went to supper tonight, so no sewing this evening.   I'll get to work tomorrow, since it's snowing right now, there will be no harvesting tomorrow; I'll just feed then come in and sew a bit.
Hope Matthew doesn't slow down your package shipment, but it's on it's way.  Two happy boys in the near future; ok so one happy boy with a new quilt and some happy parents with a baby quilt for a new baby.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »
Yes, I can't wait!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2016, 08:50:45 PM »
7 blocks completed, at least that many more to make, depending on how big I make the quilt.  It'll be about the same size as that stripey quilt you picked up, so that both are similar in size, and I'll be making a pillowcase to go with (like the other one has).  We're on a roll, but I should have done more today.   
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 06:50:22 PM »
Sounds fabulous!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
Sounds fabulous!!
Ended up going to town with Shayne today to get more t-posts, then clipping wire on posts on the fall pasture on the way home (he still have more to clip).  So, that means no sewing today, perhaps tomorrow, it's supposed to snow, so would be a good day for it. 
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »
Went to town again on Monday and got horse feed, stocked up for a little bit.
Did a little sewing yesterday, but then needed to help Shayne, so didn't get much done.
Today, I haven't started,  yet, but hope to get a little more done.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »
Chanda -

for the quilting challenged, can you post some links to block patterns?  Even a sampler type quilt would be cool.  I prefer doing 2 color type (at least that's what I'm looking at right now) in larger blocks (for now) and I'm having troubles.  I've found pics but no sizes...  Maybe sizes are what I need - have an extensive file with 4 & 9 patch pictures, just don't have a clue how to size the pieces to make a block.  Lately, it seems like all the sewing places are only teaching/selling the intricate block patterns making an even more intricate quilt (beautiful, but totally DAUNTING for a beginner).

I'd really like to make a quilt at some point this winter - maybe start with a lap quilt so that I can get it done!!  Bigger pieces mean less handling and faster piecing.  I hadn't gotten to the point of foundation or paper piecing.

I've actually just downloaded several PDFs on quilting (one is a book w/ patterns) but don't have time to really look at them right now...  Even a book/PDFs of SIZES to cut the peices to make 4 & 9 piece blocks...

Also, what I'm looking at is using what's left of mine and my hubbies OLDER uniforms (Army - mid 80s to mid 90s) and some others I'd gotten.  The fabric is not all 100% cotton and most is a bit heavier in weight.  Need to find a source for tan, green, brown for sashing and the 2nd color in the blocks, etc.  Mostly want solid, but could do small patterns like I've seen some of yours in...  Can't do supper expensive cuts like they do sell here at the main fabric stores - unless that's all there is OR that is really what is recommended as the "counter" to what I have.

If needed/wanted, I could send you some swatches?  I've done some quilting in the past (no pics  :(  ) w/ uniforms, and used cotton sheets from Wal-Mart.  Last sheets I bought though, weren't heavy enough (maybe not large enough thread count)...  Pretty - had a nice little 9 block hanging quilt with a cross stitched "Home is where the Army sends you" in the center.  Some of the blocks were appliqued, some pieced and a friend and I took them to the Holiday craft fairs here.  Lost our patterns (& material, finished hanging quilts, 2 sewing machines and a serger) when our storage unit was broken into and "stolen" years ago when we were out of state.  Have never replaced all of that...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
I'll try to get you some links when I'm on the computer, later; I don't know how to on my kindle.
A good basic book is "Your First Quilt Book, or it Should be" by Carol Doak.  It's the first book I bought, and has all the basics in it.  I still sometimes refer to if I'm stuck.
If you have a JoAnn's near you, they'd have some more reasonable priced fabrics.  Just check the quality, feel, of the fabric, as they do have some thin stuff.  We can discuss swatches, if you'd like.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »
The Quilter's Cache has lots of block patterns and size information.  Their website has annoying music with it, but here's the link:  http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2016, 11:52:57 PM »
Shayne's aunt was here this afternoon to get some fabric, and we talked a bit about the arrangement of the zebra quilt, so I think I have the final layout figured out (haven't taken a picture) and hopefully will get it finished fairly soon.
[Weather is improving, so may be harvesting again soon.  Need to get it done.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2016, 07:14:40 AM »
Sounds exciting!