Author Topic: Roaning - color changes (!!Holly!!)  (Read 2427 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Roaning - color changes (!!Holly!!)
« on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:55 PM »
Not sure who else has dealt with the roan genes.  I've suspected, but didn't know for sure.  Even at the beginning of May she still wasn't really "suspect"... 

Then last week she started really "blowing" her coat!

It will be interesting to see how/what she sheds out to be!  I also find the right foreleg fascinating.  I've never had a pinto with a completely solid leg before!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Roaning - color changes (!!Holly!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »
Oooh i was thinking she would grey out until i saw the leg. Can't wait to see!!!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
and I stand corrected, I have owned one other minimal sabino overo mare (breeding/parent's colors unknown) with a solid colored leg. Same leg, too.  ::)

Rocklone - one thing about color genes - to turn grey, one parent has to be grey and her dam is not grey.  She is a roan = don't know if single gene or homozygous for roan, though.  Pretty sure her dam carries other "white" patterning genes as well - sabino?  splash white? dominant white? - a lot has been discovered just in the last two years (since 2014).  I plan on having her color tested - haven't done that yet.

Don't mean it harshly!!  I've wondered about the "goggles" she's got - at one point they almost disappeared.  On a grey foal they don't usually disappear - at least not with any of the welshies or arabs we were around.

This is our first roan baby.  It's soooo fascinating!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »
She is just amazing!!
Ok so first question, does she have a roan parent? With out a roan parent she can not be roan, however sabino can mimic roan as well as LP ( varnish)

Ive found ( so far) all my roans are *born* roan meaning that after a few days if I part the hair on the top of the back I can see very short roan hairs coming in. Almost looks like a few gray hairs , wiggly like ours!! ( or mine!)
I have heard, but not personally experienced the roan showing up after the foal sheds the first time, however I suspect it was because they just didnt notice the small gray hairs coming in by parting the hair, but its possible!
Kate my welsh is roan and has produced roan foal 4 times in a row then came Tux, looks to have no roan, but I will be thrilled if he roans out at his first shed!

So I suggest part the hair at her darkest area, if you see roan  you know she is. Can you post pics of her parents for me?
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:31:30 PM »
 :D
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »
It was the eyes that did it for me.  With the white around them, this was always a signal to me that there was some greying gene in the mix or roaning.  Now, appaloosas will gain the white sclera around the eyes, but when not appy, the white/greying around the eyes, to me, is a dead giveaway.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
It was the eyes that did it for me.  With the white around them, this was always a signal to me that there was some greying gene in the mix or roaning.  Now, appaloosas will gain the white sclera around the eyes, but when not appy, the white/greying around the eyes, to me, is a dead giveaway.

I am going to go look back on all my roan foals! I may have just learned something new!
live barn camera link:

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:36:34 PM »
She comes from roan and sabino breeding - will post more pics in a moment!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
Some more pics of "K-La" - 1995 mare (21 yrs this year).

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:36 PM »
Yes I do remember her now! I love that mare!! And I do believe she is roan, but also has other things going on too!

Ok so I took foal pics of all Kates known roan foals, 2 bay roans and a chestnut roan, they ALL have the googles, Now Tux whom I dont think got the roan, didnt have the googles!!
Thanks Diane!!

First 3 are her roans last is non roan!
live barn camera link:

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:05:28 PM »
So exciting Holly!  This is fun.

Yes, I'd forgotten last time about her sabino background.

Her sire is Royal Red Boy - I don't have a pic of him...  Do have some of others further back.

Here's her pedigree -https://lppaintedponys.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/klapedigree.pdf

Here are several roans she's related to - currently standing at ROYAL PONY FARM in IA.  However, he's about 1/2 her size - she's at the very top end of size-ing for Shetlands!  Royal Legend of Bold (Palomino roan) is "hubba-hubba"!!!  and several of the others made me sit up and notice, too!

http://www.royalponyfarm.com/stallions/

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
Lovely Lovely!!
 :)
live barn camera link:

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »
and the next set of pics!

Sorry some are a bit blurry, but I did want to "capture" the different stages of her color change.  Hoping to get some good camera shots this weekend.  May even get her mane combed out and braided down (hahahahahaha!!!! j- so many things to get done and sooooo little time)... 

The first one next to her dam.

Butt shot!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 07:32:51 AM »
I just love her one solid dark leg! It's really eye catching!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 12:20:31 AM »
It is and that completely fascinates me and throws me off.  It's not a typical tobiano trait which tells me that she DOES have other white patterning genes in the mix (which we do suspect - actually now, from both sides). 

I haven't gotten her groomed yet this weekend, hope to tomorrow but may not.  Been doing house work (blek)...  hubby got a new string mower and he's been mowing like crazy outside in areas neither the riding mower nor the push mower can get to.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC