Author Topic: Texas  (Read 15721 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Re: Texas
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »
here's the first part - actually a little different, maybe better -

Carly & Rocklone –

On breeding – you have to make the decision to breed when and how often based on what you want, what you can afford to maintain when coming and when mature if not sold, and what kind of shape your mare is in.

Before the market crash – I was like Dianne.  Our mares were our riding & lesson ponies and horses BUT they were bred every year.  For me, it was much harder to get them back in foal if we missed a year – and cost money to figure out why, possibly clean them up via the vet, use drugs to help them cycle/ovulate.  Usually put them in foal either on their foal heats or the cycle directly after.  And I, too, had one that was much happier when she had a foal at her side (she “pined” for a foal of her own while helping to “nanny foals” for other mares – often losing condition, too, when she didn’t have one of her own.  She did get sold at the age of 26 to an owner who had no foals/broodmares and became their daughter’s trusted riding pony for years into her 30s). 

Now, it’s different.  Since I got back into the purebred Shetlands – I’ve raised more foals but they’ve been harder for me to sell.  I’ve often sold for less money rather than coming close to what we once sold them for!  Now, I’m breeding more to replace older bloodlines that I don’t want to see completely lost and bringing in a couple of new combinations of similar bloodlines.

When I had a series of issues with what I considered a conformational defect (for a performance pony & not dwarfism) which affected the cost of their individual care AND being able to sell or even to rehome them, I ended up euthanizing a whole line including one of my stallions in 2014 – trust me – it was not easy to do!!  I DO still have some fillies (mares, now) by him (my silver line  :(  ), but they will be bred in the future with lots of thought, IF they are bred at all.  That line may end up “dying out” and I maintain/care for them for their own color attributes & personalities/current performance ability rather than bringing more into the world from them – and if they present with similar issues as their other ½ and full siblings – they may also be euthanized rather than rehomed/sold or even maintained.  Will be on a case by individual case issue per pony!

I commend both you and Rocklone in your breeding decisions ahead of time.  Trust me, it’s lots easier to wait to breed them then to be “over ponied” when you have to move on with your life (as you may experience when you are ready to go to college?...).  I know that I sold the horses that I bred/raised with first both my parents and then just with my mom after the divorce, when I joined the army at the age of 21 and went overseas.  I spent 10 years out of the horse industry as far as owning and breeding – but spent that in doing research and occasionally getting to see how other countries took care of their horses.  I was in Korea for 13 months and went to the track a few times AND also visited a couple of farms that had horses; then in 3 distinct areas of Germany – with different horse breeds and uses.  I didn’t make it to Wales or any other country that I wanted to – just too busy at the time (Army hours/duty of course came first.  Then had a new baby to deal with and those kind of trips were out as to time AND $$ for a bit).

When I returned to the states, I had a non-horsey hubby, 2 VERY young daughters and was pregnant with the 3rd and knew that I wanted/needed to get them involved with horses that were “easy” and sized for them – which led to learning about the Shetland ponies…  And now we’ve been breeding them for 21 years.

And Carly – I’m still learning about them!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
Always love your posts, Paula; good information, well written and lots of good thought goes into them.  Thank you so much for sharing.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
I couldn't agree more, Chanda. 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »
THANX, Chanda!

The Horse Whisperer (book) - I considered it an amazing, but difficult, read.  I have to say - the author did a lot of research.  I don't agree with everything that was stated or written - but he either found different info (he DID have access to more professionals w/ much different and broader experience than I have) OR put a little "poetic license" into use (Not much, I think!).  The scenarios were totally believable (from my experiences - even though many reviews have "poo-pooed" his writing)...  If you feel lots of empathy for written characters - keep tissue and damp/warm compresses on hand because it is both emotionally draining AND for no pictures, VERY GRAPHIC written about the physical happenings, too.  The book does contain some very explicit sexual scenes that your parents may not want you reading, though overall it is not a "dirty romance novel"... 

The Horse Whisperer (movie) - filmed/produced by Robert Redford who was/is both a movie actor AND a working horse lines (ranch) Quarter Horse breeder.  Yet, he is exploring new (to him) concepts of training AND how to safely film and demo that on/in a movie that covers A LOT in only a certain allotment of time.  It is FANTASTIC!  Yet, for me, if I hadn't 1 - read the book and 2 - utilize some of the same training techniques, I wouldn't have understood (OR LIKED) a portion of what is shown.  And God Forbid the "idjits" that then go out and COPY the techniques shown w/o the understanding of how it's actually fully done and knowing Y it's done or when to stop/accept the horses' acceptance!  Also, people (general audience) don't understand that the horse(s - yes they did also use stunt doubles) used in the movie are TRAINED ACTORS just as the people are!  The responses aren't quite the same as it could be in a real time training episode...  The sexual scenes were tastefully done and don't come close to any concept of the book's layout...  I do think (will have to check!) that this movie was at least partially filmed in Chanda's "neck of the woods" (part of the USA) and most of the book was certainly set in Montana.  If you can get a DVD of the movie that includes the Directors' notes/interview AND copies of the deleted scenes, you may learn/enjoy it more.  I DID NOT like the movie ending - which did vastly differ from the book.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
Thank you, Dianne!  I soooo appreciate that.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 02:00:29 PM »
 ^-^
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2016, 03:49:56 AM »
I know your pain Paula! I have a friend that I talk to online, our messages are on average 1500 words long, it takes forever to write one reply and if you dont copy your whole message at the end when you send it, normally the server times out and you lose the whole thing.

Thank you Paula  :)  I 100% agree with Chanda and Diane, your posts are so helpful. I will definitely take your words into consideration, Thank you  ;D

Also thank you for the reviews! I wanted to read it when I was like 12, but didnt for 2 reasons, one, my mum didn't want me reading the sexual parts you mentioned about and the other because I couldn't understand half the words haha. But now she doesn't really care. If you were to recommend the movie or the book which one would you recommend? 
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 03:55:20 AM »
The rain stopped! Yay!

Texas sure showed her excitement, I didn't get to see her go crazy but my mum said it was like Christmas for her, being able to get out and run.  ;D This arvo I let them out in our house yard, and........I got photos  ^-^ Ill post them now :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2016, 03:58:32 AM »
I have more that I have to re size cause they are massive.

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2016, 04:01:41 AM »

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
She is such a little cutie.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »
Absolutely!!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOO - I LOVE that first color one and the 2nd black/white one (1 that looks like you are standing at her right hip and she's got her head turned to the left).

These photos are FANTASTIK!  After our daughter's wedding and watching the pro photographer, I have a few more clues how you are able to get some of these photos (tho some may be your camera - mine doesn't get shots like that)...

As to book vs movie - I'm always a fan of book first...  I've been surprised to find a few movies have been produced & find out  AFTER, that a book was published....  :)  And just so that you know - Nicolas Evans has several other books that also now have movies.  Not nearly as deep/intense but still great stories and fun (chick type) love story movies.  On a pseudo "cowboy" type - The Long Ride is a good one - but it's not perfectly accurate as to real cowboys but just an aspect of the western life (professional bull riding) done here in the south.  The story has a GREAT TWIST in it and I think your parents would be OK with you reading the book AND watching the movie.  Yes a "chick flick" book/movie romance but not heavy or explicit sex scenes.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 03:24:07 AM »
She is!  ;D

Aw thank you Paula! Thats great! I learn most off my mum  :))

Thanks!! That sounds really good, Ill have to look into it  :))

Offline Renée

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 03:58:43 AM »
The Masked Warrior! hehehee. I love this stage when they are shedding, they look so funny. She has the sweetest eye and you can see that she is going to be an easy baby.
I am kind of late joining this thread so there is a lot to read.
First off I think you are doing a great job educating yourself so kudos to you. There are so many "how to's" out there for horses so you just have to listen to lots of ideas and choose what works best for you.
I, like Diane had my horses in a heard situation and the girls just seemed to decide on their own when they wanted a year off. Saying that though, I had the financial stability to keep any foals that were not sold. That is the main issue for me, you have to think about how long a horse can live and if you have the time, money and land to keep them all if the market drops or if they are born with problems.
As they others have said about old books, some of the nutritional part will have changed and also medication. Many of my books date back to when I was at school (studied Equine Science) which is over 20 years ago yet I still refer to them if there is a situation I am unsure of. I guess it is just out of habit though.
Each country also does things differently. I moved around quite a lot when I was younger and worked with horses. I worked in uk, france and Italy and they all have their own ideas.
Anyway you are in the right place to learn as there are plenty of experienced people here that are willing to help.