Author Topic: Texas  (Read 15715 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Re: Texas
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »
Oh and to add, I know this is sort of off topic, but I have started reading a book its called "Understanding Horses" It seems really good and informative, but the content is 28 years old. Do you think its still relevant?

I have just heard that sometimes when books get old its content becomes irrelevant because of the changes, but now that I think of it would that be for populations, numbers, graphs ect? Not too sure.  :)
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
I don't know of that book, personally, maybe someone here does and can comment.

However, horses are still horses, so I'm sure there is something useful to be gained by reading it.  If you read something you are unsure about, just ask.  We're here to help, and I'd be interested in learning more what they are sharing.  So feel free!

Just like with everything, it never hurts to read and learn more, but sometimes you just have to question what seems "not quite right".  Many things have been learned over the years, so you take what is good, and leave what isn't or doesn't make sense.  And question things if you're unsure. 

You'll do fine, and we're here if you need an opinion or someone experiences with something you read that you are questioning.

Good job for learning more!

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »
Except for nutrition and health care which has had huge advances in the last 30 years, horses themselves haven't changed much.  More education is always good.
I have a reprint of about a 100 year old health book, and it has some amazing information not found in modern books, it's one of the first books I ever bought about 30 years ago, and I still refer to it, even though I've added newer books to my library.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »
Alright thank you both! I'll let you know what I think of it, I might have a question or two in the process  ^-^

I have a reprint of a health care book too Chanda! I think the content in it is about 134 years old or something, but the print is only like 40 years old. Ill take a photo of it  ^-^

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
Oh hang on, my health book is only 20 years old, but I have one called "Pottie's horse Dictionary" which has the 134 year old content, first published in 1882.

I really like the health one, the orangey coloured one, It has HEAPS of info on so many things, and it also talks about foaling. Another thing I like is when something very serious it has a bubble with red writing that says "URGENT! CONTACT VET" and its so easy to understand. Like half of my books are second hand

My library is still small, I have about 40 books, some aren't really books Ill ever read like my Suzuki Service manual lol  :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »
This bookshelf is my equine collection, there is a bottom shelf full too, but some remodeling stuff is covering it.   Mostly nutrition, health and care, and a few breed books.  These are the books I've really enjoyed and kept, there are countless others that I've read, but didn't like enough to purchase
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 12:09:37 AM »
This is the reprint, but mine is an older version:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1449692.Veterinary_Notes_for_Horse_Owners

First published in 1877, revised in 1968, my reprint is 1986.  The one linked is a newer reprint.   Mine has a gold colored jacket.

I'm not sure I've read it yet, but I also picked up a reprint by the same author, it's a Stable Management and Exercise book.  First published in 1900, revised in 1969, and my reprint is 1974.  [Found a bookmark with my handwriting, so evidently I've read some of it; bookmark is in the feed section.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 12:39:00 AM »
Wow, thats a lot of books haha!

I haven't read many of my books, I am more of a digital reader, but I have been trying to read paperbacks more now because looking at my phone all the time isn't very good for the eyes.  ;D

Here is my collection of books. Some of them I will probably never read, like my "Astral Legacies" novels and pony pals that I have had since I was little. I want to read "The horse Whisperer" Have any of you read it??

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41:18 AM »
Wow, yours is even older than mine Chanda, when did you get it?? Is it a large book??

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2016, 12:47:14 AM »
I got the reprint shortly after in was printed, it was one of my first health books, after I got my first horse.
The second book I only got in the last few years, I think it came in a box of books I picked up at a household goods auction, I kept it because it's written by the same author as the vet guide.
I haven't read the horse whisper, but I did see the movie.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2016, 02:31:47 AM »
Nice  :D

Our weather has been freezing here, raining and miserable. So the girls are having a feed  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 06:52:53 AM »
So cute!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »
very cute
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
OMG - For longer, detailed posts I need to remember to write in Word and then copy paste it to my posts here...  I had started a post and i hit a button wrong and took me back a page and my post is gone!...  makes me sad...  I'm working on it again, but...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »
Yes, that's a trick I learned many years ago, when dealing with Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae programs at work.  When they tell you to "save often" -- boy do they mean it!  If you even turn away from your screen, the computer seems to know you're distracted, and WHOOSH! Your work is gone!!

I'll be looking for the repost!!   ::)