Author Topic: Texas  (Read 15723 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Texas
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
If you do want her in foal again it wont be this year. They should have a year out after every foal.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »
Well, I have to say, I never....or hardly ever waited a year between breeding for the next season's foals.  As long as the momma did not drag down in any way, I would let them go for 2 or 3 years -- making sure each year there were no problems with the momma maintaining her weight during pregnancy, or having any difficulties with maintaining her weight during lactation.  If all was well, then I'd put them in foal again for a second year, and occasionally a 3rd year.  Then I would give them a break.  My older girls, I tended to watch very closely for any signs and then as long as they were well, I would breed them again.  I had one mare who was so unhappy without a foal at foot, that I pretty much left her to breed at her own rate.  It's funny, some mares will take year after year, and some just tend to throw a year off on their own -- either not coming into season, or simply not "taking".  But I did watch my numbers, as having 10 foals at a time can be quite wearing on the human!!

I'd say, watch her carefully, and then decide what you think is best.  We all do it differently, and that's what makes us all have experiences we can share to help one another!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »
Its just not something i feel comfortable with, but then i am a very small time shower/wanabe breeder. I feel i want to have foals to produce myself cause thats all i can afford to do, i can't afford to have herds running and the market to sell is very bad here. My aim is to breed good show record/drive/therapy horses and its very likely that my first foal will be my only for many years until she or he can breed. Im keeping my fingers crossed for Goldie, but i'm not optimistic she will take.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »
I think that's very admirable and a great decision!!

Many people just breed for breeding's sake, thinking they will make lots of money selling.  To me, nothing could be further from the truth.  "During the day" I ran a big herd, with 14 stallions and a total of 45 horses.  Back then, you could sell a 4 month old weaning for $5-6,000.  I raised for showing, and spent a fortune sending out my stallions to AMHA and AMHR shows and National classes. I was successful -- never had a National Champion, but had a few 3rd's and some HOF horses and high ALL STARs.  But, I have to say I loved doing it, and loved all the babies.  It was a good sized farm, and I had a couple of good helpers.

Then, with the crash in Real Estate (I owned a Abstract & Title Company) and the crunch of the economy, I ultimately lost my business and was out of work for almost 4 years.  So, I sold off most of my horses, and kept just a few retirees (kinda' like me), and prayed to get back on my feet.  The Lord blessed me....slowly -- which was good training for me -- and I'm working full time again (too "full time") but now I'm taking care of my mother with Alzheimers.  So horses are all gone from here.  I still own a few -- like my Spotty -- but I get my "fix" here on the forum, and mentoring some people looking for horses, Deb's Falabella farm, and others who just contact me for an opinion on a possible purchase.  So, sometime in the future I'll have horses again, but right now my mom needs me more.  With her, and my 10th grandchild on the way, I'm a pretty busy old coot!

Oh, and I found out it will be a GRANDSON !!  That makes 7 boys and 3 girls!  So, Chanda, I guess I'll be looking for a baby quilt soon!  Baby is due around November 15th, so we have some time!

Again, I admire you for your choices in breeding.  Your showing is fabulous, and there is nothing more fun than to show a "home grown" foal to a successful show career!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 12:24:10 AM »
Does that mean, this one can be baby sized?  And, can even be done closer to due date, just in case they find out it's a girl instead or something.   ;)
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 06:25:06 AM »
I'm in absolutely no hurry to put her back in foal. Rocklone, when you said "she should have a year out after every foal", do you mean I should wait a year until I put her back in foal??  :)

Texas got a new rug today, 3rd rug already. We decided with the wind we are having, freezing nights, frosty mornings and storms on its way this weekend with a chance of flash flooding to get her a proper rug that is waterproof and thick unlike the cheaper ones that arent as warm and dont stay on properly.

She looks so cute in it. We got it a bit too big so she has room to grow, because the first 2 she as grown out of so quickly haha

Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
How cute!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
She is just a doll.

I haven't worried about blankets for my foals, but we get more snow in winter than rain.

My last crop in January of their first winter, they were so fuzzy, I didn't worry about them being cold; they were weaned here and 6-7 months old.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 05:03:52 PM »
The rug is adorable!!

Considering she foaled in winter if I was you I would be happy to wait until the spring after the one coming.

It just took me a good five mins to figure out winter and summer in Australia and my brain melted I need a cookie and a nap lmao

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
Thank you!!

Oh gosh Chanda! They are SO adorable! I just want to cuddle then all!  :)) How cold does it have to get before you's get snow? We dont get snow here, the only snow I have seen is man made snow, well I think it was man made lol.

Ohh, alright that makes sense :) Haha sorry I should have mentioned the seasons here. Wait, so I know nothing about the world and other places but do all of our seasons go in the same order? Like ours is Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring. Is everyone's like that? That is a stupid question but I am curious now haha  :D

Texas is so easy to handle compared to Willows foal she had in 2014... Although that was no fault of his own.
I'm going to tell a little story. (It will probably be really big) Okay Its REALLY big.

-----------------------------
My parents friends were the ones who got me Willow, well we paid for her but they got her off parents that were getting too old and had no time for horses. So I got Willow and along with that came 3 more minis and a 2 week old mini foal-they belonged to our friends but they were on our property. Now our friends are 'know it alls'. They were out at our place EVERY DAY and every day I would get some piece of criticism about Willow.

It was horrible, they picked at things like worming. I always wormed Willow every 6-8 weeks as the box said and from advice from the people at the tack store and online. Our friends were telling me I was going way overboard and that I should worm every 6 to 12 MONTHS, so they were stating that I should only worm once or twice a year.

I showed them the box and everything and they were too stubborn to listen to me. (Also when I got Snickas in 2014 they looked at her and they were guaranteed that she would foal in April 2015. Now look, she foaled exactly a year later, the reason they thought that was because she was fat)

Then you bring farriers, breeding, foaling into it, it was beyond a joke. All because since they had known Willow for so many years they had some sort of 'power' over me and what I did with her. It actually crossed my mind a few times to sell Willow just so they would get off my back, but Willow means too much to me. Ill also add that they had only owned one horse like 15 years ago when their kids were young. He was a little shetland. And because of that they think they know everything, but no one knows everything.

Anyway Ill get to the Bam Bam Part. So our friends were unfortunately here when Willow foaled. They were saying not to interfere, and bam what do you know they are in there pulling on Bam Bam's legs not waiting for contractions. She looked like she had no clue what she was doing, and at the time I think I was freaking out cause I had never seen it before to stop her from doing what she was doing.

Anyway. Bam Bam came out fine, and our friends said "Dont touch him for a week or two or Willow will reject him" Me with so little knowledge believed her. And Bam Bam was so hard to work with after that, he was terrified of people and he was a strong little boy It took me so long to get him used to me and trust me.

So after that I decided to start learning for myself, I joined forums and began reading books and watching videos. After 3 years our friends decided to take their horses to their new place while we were out, came home and I began freaking because their mare likes to break through fences and I thought they got out and ran away. Turns out they took them without letting us know, and still to this day there is no simple "Thank you" for looking after their horses and providing them food, and most of all putting up with them, and their criticism.

-----------------------------

2 weeks before Bam Bam was born I spent all my savings on my Toby, there was one condition that if Willow had a colt I had to sell him, which I did. Then when Bam came along and he was about 8 months old our friends were saying I should SELL Toby and keep Bam Bam. That made my blood boil, one because they knew how much Toby meant to me and two, I was NOT breeding Bam Bam with his mother. They were saying that Bam Bam was much better than Toby and that Toby wasnt even a nice looking horse...

BUT anyway. They are gone now and now when they come over and state something about my horses I either walk away or say "What ever you think"

I got in with Texas fairly early, I gave Snickas and her time to bond, but not 2 weeks. Now Texas follows you around, gives you cuddles and she runs to you whinnying.

Sorry for such a big reply. Also, This is a thank you to all the people who have helped me over the past almost year, for understanding and helping me improve.  ;D

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 07:22:14 PM »
We get snow at 32F or colder typically, if there is precip predicted.
We have autumn, winter, spring and summer too; just during different months of the year than the southern hemisphere.  Where I am we tend to have long winters and the other seasons are much shorter.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 07:35:16 PM »
So that would be about 0 degrees C here. Wow we got -1 to -2 degrees the other night, and all we get is frost lol.

Oh that makes sense, Do you like having longer winters??

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
So that would be about 0 degrees C here. Wow we got -1 to -2 degrees the other night, and all we get is frost lol.

Oh that makes sense, Do you like having longer winters??

No I don't, but I live in Montana and it comes with living this far north on the plains.  (I'm only about 40 miles from the Canadian border). 
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
You have done just fine.  You have done a good job educating yourself, and getting that precious Texas to the ground safely!  You should be proud of yourself -- we are all very proud of you!

Some people just can't help themselves giving "directions with attitudes".  But, the key is to listen, glean what you can from what they're saying -- don't just discount it all together -- and then use what you think might be beneficial.

As to worming -- you were the correct one!  So, keep doing what you are doing, keep learning, and you KNOW we are here to help you in any way we can, with ANY questions you have.  We are here to share -- and we'll do it with NO attitudes, I promise!!

As to the seasons, I think basically, the Southern Hemisphere has the same "seasons" -- but they are opposite of ours.  Like when we are in winter, you are in summer, and vice versa. 

To me, that's what makes it so wonderful to have everyone from around the world here, because "foaling season" can last all year long, as we move between countries and hemispheres!!

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
Thank you Diane, means a lot  ^-^ But all of you on the forum have been the biggest help to me  :)

I never thought of it that way actually, babies all year round! I'd really like to know when Willow is due-OR if she is pregnant to start with.

It is so cold here tonight, I got home at dark and it was raining and I had to go in to feed Snickas, Of course they are standing out in the rain in the sloppy mud. So I took them under the shelter and locked them up under there, I am so loving Texas' coat, she is still warm and dry under the coat. I spent about half an hour out in the rain, barefoot with no jumper while I am sick trying to tidy it all up, I guess I thought it wouldn't take as long as it did.. I dont know how many times I trekked through that mud lol. Least they are cozy now. :)