Author Topic: Texas  (Read 15828 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Re: Texas
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
Out of ALL my photos this one is probably still my favorite :))

17-12-2015

Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2016, 11:41:31 PM »
885 photos IS a lot...  and you delete originals????  OMG.

I do a little differently.  i transfer all my photos from my phone and my camera to the laptop (for now).  They go into files labeled by date.  I do look thru them and delete any that are blurred out too much or like the other day at 6 am, I had several of the ground - trash bin.

my phone dates the pics with the time taken.  I split photos up if I have a lot (such as I did a group of the outside of our house & then the SR mares and the boys - so they went into separate files in Original photos.  I also end up grouping those by quarter 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12).  Those file names would be 60916house, 60916boys and 609616srMares.  Those pics from phone are dated_time and camera pics just have img1234.  Then when I edit (currently use an on-line editing program called Pic Monkey dot com), I pull from those files - and did several pics.  they get renamed with 16june09house133101 or 16jun09house133204 (phone puts time on it) and camera pics were 16jun09ec1234 or 16jun09wiz1238 or 16jun09kla1256 or 16jun09che1257.  Then the edited pics go into separate files - house, family and ponies.  In ponies file - I have them broken out into individual name files and Vicki's ponies and mixed ponies.  These are the photos I will post on line - and some, even tho edited for me, don't get posted. 

I have negatives & photos going back to the 80s stored (not in year order due to some being with my parents when part of their home was destroyed, some being in our storage unit in 2000 when it was broken into and stolen and some others being left in a vehicle while moving and melting together) and lost a LOT of digital ones when our 1st computer crashed...  Also lost several years of original digital pics AND scanned copies of print photos (the ones I'd kept were stored on line at Photobucket at the time) when hubby and oldest daughter were transferring them from the big PC to our laptops.    I think they got deleted rather than moved OR were lost in cord cyberspace when we had a power blip.  It took me 2 years to scan the pics from our photo albums into a computer (using equipment at work after hours).

I was just told last weekend that I should have backup to the external drive I've got - since it's a "spin drive"(?? -could easily "crash", too)...  Trying to decide how I want to back it up.

At least 1x year (usually during Xmas), I pull all the pics and put them on my external hard drive.  Original pics stay grouped in the Original pics files - by year.  Edited photos go - the ponies pics go into their individual files (also in folders by year) and so do family, house, equipment and event type photos (only by year if I have a lot in that year?). 

Sounds pretty difficult, but it's not really!  I can find any of our ponies original pics and go back to the original by looking at the date/title on the edited photo.  I can go back to that original and do another edit - for size or to crop for a specific item (such as when I did close ups for my braiding files or sent pics of stifles to several vets/equine chiro and massage pros).  I now provide a complete jump drive with the cropped pics of the pony when I sell that pony back to 2009 (if asked, I can provide the original shot - back to 2012, too).  Most of the equine we currently have don't go any further back than that - if they do they either aren't for sale or I'd have to get a bit more creative to provide the pics (Flower has a book of photos I printed using Power Point, as do her dam and grand dam.  When I was doing the books, I kept the original book and took it to Staples or Office Max and copied it for the new owner).

If I lose my external hard drive right now, I'd be quite upset.  Besides all my own originals and edited shots, I have a lot of expensive digital shots from professional photographers when I had 4 ponies out showing in 2012 and 3 ponies in 2013.  Only got a couple of photos actually printed out...  Hmm, think I will get some jump drive (sticks) to put those on, too!  I'd love to know how others have stored theirs.

I did contact a photographer for pics that I had "copies" of the proofs.  I'd kept the numbers, w/ stars marking the ones I wanted to purchase, and wanted to order prints (or digital copies) of them.  I was told they were 'gone'...  I wasn't real happy.  She did still have the proofs on line - and I was able to get some pics that way - but they aren't a good enough quality (she'd reduced the original size when put the proofs online) for larger than 3x5 prints (I'd wanted 5x7 and 8x10).  She did have a good program that pulled the watermark off of them (I can't do that at all now).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2016, 04:16:17 AM »
Haha yes it is a lot. Today I took another 178 photos. I'm in exam block so I get home at like lunch time!

Yes I delete some originals, ones that are blurry, repeated, just not nice photos in general (normally most of my un edited photos). I do edit a fair few that are keepsakes, and I take tons of photos which takes up a lot of space. I can take up to 1000-2000 photos in a week, plus what my mum takes. In those photos I take out what I want, edit what I want and put them in a separate folder to keep, the others I never touch really.

Wow, your way of sorting sounds very precise! I use Picmonkey occasionally, only to make collages and resize so they fit on the forums so they aren't the size of the universe.
Otherwise I mainly use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for general edits, now that I use my mums camera, I can work manual mode so it cuts a lot of time wasted on editing, now I just have to touch them up, crop if I need. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 for edits such as my generation edit, not sure if you have seen it, it is posted on Lil Beginnings. But it has photo frames and the horses in frames kinda thing. And I also use ACDSee Pro for cloning things out such as rubbish in the backgrounds and just unwanted objects that cause distractions in the image.

Yes, thats what I love most about keeping your photos stored in a specific way, is that you can sort through so easily and find the exact photo you want. I used to rummage around looking through all my folders, I had well over 200 folders of photos on the computer, it could take up to 20 to 30 minutes just to find one photo, thats if it was even there! I got fed up with searching through photos so I sorted them out and now finding photos is a breeze.  :))

Sounds like you should back it all up soon, It would be devastating to loose them all. I know If I lost all my photos id be absolutely crushed.  :-[

Here is a comparison of when I cloned the objects out of the photo. Ionly found it out recently by my mum so I am still trying to get the hang of it but its so handy, Im so kicking myself for not knowing earlier.

Here is a photo of Texas and Lacey, I also got rid of the driveway and Snickas because, why not?  :))

And here is one of Kevin, it was more of a practice one.  ^-^

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2016, 04:25:03 AM »
And here is the "Generations" one I mentioned. Technically its not generations. But its normally done with humans with each generation in the frames.

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2016, 04:27:09 AM »
We also had a visit from a cute little boy, Torrie.  :))

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2016, 05:50:18 AM »
I havethousands of photos that I use for my picture pedigrees, and I purchased a Terabyte drive, which is 1000 Gigabytes of space.  It's connected to my computer, but the pictures are all stored there, so it doesn't take up space on my regular computer hard drive.  I have a shortcut on my desktop to it, and I can access all the photos while working from my computer.  Good storage, and even after several thousands of photos, I still have 431 GB of space left.  Plus, I can disconnect it and connect it to any computer.  Very easy.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2016, 03:35:48 AM »
That sounds awesome Diane  :)) We have like 10 hard drives here, they are all pretty old. They aren't the handy little ones like the newer ones, they are big and bulky and need to be plugged into power and the computer at the same time. Whereas my dads is a small compact one that you just plug in with a USB cord :)

Right now I use a small 8GB USB that is shaped as a horse haha.  :))

Offline Ryan

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »
Great Photos Carly :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2016, 03:46:47 AM »
Thanks  :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
Hmm none of your photos from posted from 13 June till now are showing up for me.  The others have and so have the ones other folks are - would really love to see your Generations photo!

How do you do Collages on Pic Monkey?  I've been using Pic Monkey for about 4 years now, the "free stuff" section.  I use it to crop and resize all my photos.  I've got to learn how to use the Photoshop CS2 program I now have - but I made the layered headers I did for the website using it...  I do like Pic Monkey - it works well enough for what I do, LOL.

I do have the photos I still have backed up.  It's the back up that I was told I needed to back up -since it's a "spin drive" (still don't know what that means - other than it could easily end up crashing, like our larger computers did before laptops...).  It is a 1 terabyte as well and almost as small as my phone.  Looking at  the "pie-plate" pic of the space I've used, I've got more than 3/4 of that space still available!  And that's with 1,000s of full size photos on it AS WELL AS all the cropped/resized ones.

It usually doesn't take me long to look up any photos.  I just don't have originals of digital photos from before 2008-2012 (or rather they are few and far between which I don't understand either how that happened).   The ones I'd scanned in from photos taken over the years, were scanned in by page from my photo albums.  I can't open those scans now (actually I bet I can with the new Photoshop program) since they used a different extension than .jpg.

Gotta love technology sometimes...  I DO like the new ways with photos!  Just still struggling with my cell phone...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2016, 06:52:55 PM »
They are gone to me too.  Nothing showing but "X" 's
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »
Yep, a batch of pictures gone for me, too.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
Hmmm, makes me sad!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2016, 10:37:45 PM »
Awh, even I can't see some of them  ??? Thats odd. I cant see some of my older photo posts either. I use the 'Insert image' button that is under the Bold button to put my photos in, maybe if I use the attachments option. I'll try post the generations pic for you.

Ive been using picmonkey around 4 years as well, when I got Willow, although I used to use 'Picnik' which was taken down in 2013 and replaced with Picmonkey. With the collages question are you asking how I personally make them or how to make one in general? I'll assume in general? You make collages by pressing the 'collage' option at the top of the homepage. You have 'Edit' 'Touch up' 'Design' and 'Collage'. If that makes sense haha. Then I just upload my photos, pick a collage design and place the photos in their boxes then save  :) Hope thats what you meant lol.

Now I'm jealous haha! I want all that space for photos!  ;)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »
My external hard drive is "My Passport" 1 terrabyte external hard drive.  On Amazon right now, it costs $55.00 US.

I think I've used that "collage" feature on PicMonkey.  Didn't do what I think of as collages though, so I thought you'd done something different.

Where do you store your photos online before you attach them to your posts?
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC