Author Topic: Bliss: New filly for Chanda!!  (Read 27181 times)

Offline Lnight89

Re: Bliss: New filly for Chanda!!
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »
Yeah! My little Syrup had a 2 inch deep gash between her hind legs between her udder and vulva. She has been doing OK with halter training but it was still so hard to get that fixed and to clean it every day! Ended up the only way we could do it was my husband lifting her like a baby and holding her legs open for me to do all the cleanings

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
Dang, in two weeks there might not be any stitches to remove at this rate, another loose stitch this morning.   All the edges seem to be stuck together, so hopefully they'll stay that way.    The stitches haven't completely fallen out, but two have come untied and one loop undone.   
catching was a little easier this morning, but not much.   And, after a little ointment on her nose, I lead her down to the pasture gate, it helped that Bonny was walking that way, anyway, she's always the first to the gate to go out.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Yeah! My little Syrup had a 2 inch deep gash between her hind legs between her udder and vulva. She has been doing OK with halter training but it was still so hard to get that fixed and to clean it every day! Ended up the only way we could do it was my husband lifting her like a baby and holding her legs open for me to do all the cleanings

Hope little Syrup heals up quickly for you.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »
Hope little Syrup does well.  Sounds like you're "ON IT" just perfectly!!

Keep us posted Chanda.  When cuts are sutured within that first 24 hours, you have the best chance of having those edges bond together well.  And you were so fast, I'm praying those edges hold beautifully for you.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »
Yeah hopefully her wound just healed together fast! Did you figure out how that happened? Poor little thing eh?!

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2016, 05:20:07 PM »
Oh and syrup is all good now! Vet came out the first day to totally flush it and clean it really well. Just had to do daily flushes and ointment for almost 2 weeks and all is good now:) I could fit my whole baby finger inside of it!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »
Never did find a spot where she snagged it, probably never will.
Seems to be healing fine.  Will keep an eye on it and hope no more come loose.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2016, 09:08:25 PM »
Yeah there are so many small places anything like that could happen. Glad it's healing well!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »
I know it's still early in the healing, but looking at it this morning, she might have one little pucker spot; but I don't think it'll be very noticeable.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »
At least she did it at home. It's in the same place my first horse's was.

Waaaay back in the last century (I love typing and saying that! ;-p ) I qualified my two year old half-Arab gelding for Region 9 halter. He cut his busy nose in the same place....BUT....he did it on the show grounds the day before his class. *Gaaaaahh!!*  We looked all around his stall and the adjoining stalls and found nothing. When the show vet arrived, he took one look and stated "I know EXACTLY how it happened. Someone cut him with a knife." Talk about a shocker! Seems that several half-Arabs received similarly suspicious wounds. It was a very rude awakening to what can happen on the rated show circuit. We did get cleared to show, and ended up Top 5 in a class of 12. I was so proud, since Gameel was my very first horse. I'd trained him from a wild weanling that was herded onto the trailer, into a respectably competitive show horse. He was the "resume" that earned me my apprentice position with Harlan and Marge Moehlman. They bred/owned/trained '69 National Champion Zarabo++. At shows with them, at least one groom stayed in the barn at all the times. We even slept in the grooming stall. But I never once complained, as I understood the "why."
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »
At least she did it at home. It's in the same place my first horse's was.

Waaaay back in the last century (I love typing and saying that! ;-p ) I qualified my two year old half-Arab gelding for Region 9 halter. He cut his busy nose in the same place....BUT....he did it on the show grounds the day before his class. *Gaaaaahh!!*  We looked all around his stall and the adjoining stalls and found nothing. When the show vet arrived, he took one look and stated "I know EXACTLY how it happened. Someone cut him with a knife." Talk about a shocker! Seems that several half-Arabs received similarly suspicious wounds. It was a very rude awakening to what can happen on the rated show circuit. We did get cleared to show, and ended up Top 5 in a class of 12. I was so proud, since Gameel was my very first horse. I'd trained him from a wild weanling that was herded onto the trailer, into a respectably competitive show horse. He was the "resume" that earned me my apprentice position with Harlan and Marge Moehlman. They bred/owned/trained '69 National Champion Zarabo++. At shows with them, at least one groom stayed in the barn at all the times. We even slept in the grooming stall. But I never once complained, as I understood the "why."
Well, we were alone, so at least I know she did it to herself.
I can't believe what people will do at a show to win or at least knock out the competition.  I've heard of tails cut (just banging them right below the bone, so they have a whispy tail), forelocks cut off and a few other minor inconveniences, but never actual cutting like you are saying; scary thing is, I don't doubt it happened (I don't live where it's all sunshine and roses, and I know crap happens, unfortunately).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
It's so horrible how some people can be -- just to win or place.  So sorry that happened to you, but happy with your results!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:33 PM »
Oh my gosh! I would never want to win so bad that I would hurt an animal that's awful! :(

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »
Bliss is gonna have a "bubble" on her lip, hopefully, she'll grow into it, and it won't be noticeable as she grows.  Hopefully, the rest will heal uneventfully and smoothly.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2016, 12:41:17 AM »
Happy birthday for the other day Chanda, apart form the trip to the vet , I hope you had a wonderful day :)