Author Topic: The reason for the Uks equine crisis  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
The reason for the Uks equine crisis
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Is mainly idiots. Obviously. Banner is for stud and so far has one suiter. A man i know is looking a stallion, but the reply i got when i offered Banner was "he is too fancy for me!"

Surely the best stallion you can get is the best?!

Hes basically looking for a stallion that will be about £50 to buy just to have a foal that he can sell for £50...it doesn't make sense to me. Would you not rather buy a better stallion, breed a GOOD foal, and sell for a lot more!?!? ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: The reason for the Uks equine crisis
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
You would think so, but you find the same types in the US, too.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
Totally agree.  To me, the idea is to always improve your stock, looking for the best that you can afford, to produce the best quality foal that you can.

But as Chanda says, there are the same type here in the US.  What is the saying.....you can't fix "stupid".  LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
no you definitely can not fix stupid!

Its just letting me down a bit. I was hoping for more mares, not for the money, but so that i could see that minis are not dying out. The shows are steadily getting less and less, because those who one aforementioned "crap" ones are not bringing them to shows cause the actual good ones are winning, and the people with good ones are very few and far between. I know three off the top of my head. If it doesnt pick up i will have to travel to ireland (over and hour away for me to get to the border, most shows are about an hour or up to three or four past past) and i could not really afford to

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
While I am only about an hour from Canada, so another country for me; I'm also an hour from the nearest grocery store in my country.    :P
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Renée

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 02:51:33 AM »
I am afraid it is the same here in Italy. I had lots of ridiculous requests for my stallion when he was at stud too. One guy even asked me if I was totally crazy when I told him what the stud fee was. Also nearly all of them complained when I told them the boarding fee was not included. Way too many people breed just because their horse can and not because it should. >:(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
How true! 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
And its the same here in Oz  :(

Offline Kmh

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »
I've had quite a few requests for people wanting to use poser for their mares. I've turned them all down so far.
I've seen so many being sold for the likes of £50, they don't want to pay money for a decent stallion when they can use the unlicensed one down the road. Its very sad really.
I'm still learning and my stock will improve as I learn but people seem to not worry about what its made like as long as its cute and pretty to look at.