Author Topic: 101 days in foal today and some stupidity on my part to mention : /  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Suebe

Hi everyone, so happy to find some free time finally, little overwhelmed lately! Anyhoo...some of you might remember my Haflinger lost her baby at 117 days back in December. Vet came out flushed her uterus and syringed 4 days of antibiotics. We waited a couple months, put her on hormones and bred her again in February. So far so good!!! She's had 3 ultrasounds over that last few months and baby looks wonderful! She's been on Regumate since day 28 and will be taken off of it day 150. This is as a precaution as hormonal problems were not the reason for the aborted fetus.
As for my stupidity here it goes! I was using the latex hospital gloves the first 2 weeks to give her 10 cc of Regumate a day. Those of you that have used it know it's very greasy and thick-ish. However I got sick of putting on those gloves and figured "what's the big deal" it was ipposible to not get a greasy hand dealing with that stuff but honestly I did not have any idea how easily and efficiently progesterone absorbs through skin! Holy sh**! Well, the last two months I hadn't been feeling that great, kind of nauseous and always dying of heat, like unbearable!!! Worst thing was my body felt really achy and when I stood up from sitting, even for a minute I could barely walk the first 20 steps. I can't explain how stiff and painful it was. I literally blew these symptoms off for over two months until I came across an article about handling Regumate without proper gloves...to put an end to this story lol I had a extremely serious amount of progesterone in my body. After 3 days of giving her the Regumate with gloves on my symptoms are about 75% gone. Ugh stupid me!

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
You're quite lucky you realized! Regumate is quite potent. In some breeding businesses women are not even allowed to handle it let alone give it. It can cause fertility issues too so if I was you I would actually get a check up at the doctors.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
I'm so glad you have some time to share with us!  And yes, that stuff is VERY hard on your system, so glad you're feeling a little better, but it couldn't hurt to be a bit extra careful, and check with your doc!

I'm so glad your mare is moving along nicely.  It was very sad in December, and I'm so looking forward to this new "little" one!!  If you get a chance can you post a picture of the "little" momma, please. Can't wait to see her!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Oh Suebe
Ditto what others said !
So glad you updated us on your haffie. I sure hope all goes well for you this time! Looking forward to pictures and updates!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

Re: 101 days in foal today and some stupidity on my part to mention
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »
You know seriously I'm just an idiot because my vet said I should use gloves and I was really good about it...for two weeks  :-\  I was like oh well I'll just wash my hands right after, no that's not even ok come to find. Progesterone absorbs so well through the skin some woman using it just use creams to get enough, ugh I was horrified! Rocklone luckily I already have four of those (kids) hahaha and thankfully I'm not a complete idiot because when I first started using the Regumate my teenage daughter held our haffy's head, I didn't even let her do that without gloves on, of course my mare now pretty much opens her mouth by herself knowing she gets a handful of her favorite treats afterward, but yeah everyone that didn't know this to the extreme, learn from my stupidity ugh

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
I had heard that it absorbed through the skin, but had no idea what kind of symptoms it might produce.  Glad you caught it and are getting back to normal.
Can't wait to see what your mare is cooking for you, ok so yes we have to wait til next spring, but we'll all be here.   Feel free to post along as she goes.  Share new USd and whatever you wish to share while you wait.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Suebe

Actually Chandra because I put her on hormones to put her into heat earlier, she's due early to mid January 2017, spring just sounded way to far :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Actually Chandra because I put her on hormones to put her into heat earlier, she's due early to mid January 2017, spring just sounded way to far :)
Ok, so a bit earlier, sounds even better, slightly shorter wait for us.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Suebe

Yes lol I'm a very impatient person!
Ok so I hope I'm in the right order ;D
The first pic was at 60 days and most visible is the skull and one leg
The second pic is literally it's butt and legs, the bright white at the ends of the legs are yes, tiny little hooves :) PS she's pretty sure it's a colt! But didn't get as good a look as she wanted because it was so active.
The third pic was at 46 days, thought it was cool because the baby formed a heart with its body and umbilical cord!
The last is for fun, our baby donk that was born 6 weeks ago and his BLM burro mom with my daughter

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Oh, look how much he's grown!!!!  We waited for him a long time, and I'm so pleased to see him again!!  You need to share more pictures of him as he grows!!  Start a thread just for him on the watchin the foals grow board.  We'd love to watch him!!

What did you name him, by the way?

Love those ultrasound pictures.  They're fabulous!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

Re: 101 days in foal today and some stupidity on my part to mention : /
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 11:22:15 PM »
Oh, look how much he's grown!!!!  We waited for him a long time, and I'm so pleased to see him again!!  You need to share more pictures of him as he grows!!  Start a thread just for him on the watchin the foals grow board.  We'd love to watch him!!

What did you name him, by the way?

Love those ultrasound pictures.  They're fabulous!!

I'd love to post some pics of him, he's so unbelievably sweet. All he wants to do is rub all over you or lay in your lap, so affectionate!

Thank you! Love the ultrasounds so much! So comforting seeing a healthy baby. We just had another at 94 days but the baby was too big to get any good pics, looks more like large blobs now, harder to make out which body part is which. She did say it was the size of a cat though

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 04:59:25 AM »
How cute is baby Donk!!!

I love the ultra sound pictures! Can you share a pic of Mom and Dad?
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »
How cute is baby Donk!!!

I love the ultra sound pictures! Can you share a pic of Mom and Dad?

Thank you and yes of course :) the first two photos (calab of 3 & next one down) is our stallion, second two is our mare

Offline Renée

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 03:28:17 AM »
We have all done stupid stuff over the years so no judging at all. I am just glad you are feeling better now.
I am a total haflinger fan after having owned 2, they are so loving yet very naughty so they keep you on your toes. lol
I am looking forward to seeing this baby.

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »
Agree with Renee.  Just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.  Glad that you figured it out and are feeling better now. 

Wish you were closer - have a silver bay tobi mare that would love to cross to Caleb (but than again, don't need more ponies!!)...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC