Message Boards > Foaling Questions & Help

101 days in foal today and some stupidity on my part to mention : /

(1/4) > >>

Suebe:
 Hi everyone, so happy to find some free time finally, little overwhelmed lately! Anyhoo...some of you might remember my Haflinger lost her baby at 117 days back in December. Vet came out flushed her uterus and syringed 4 days of antibiotics. We waited a couple months, put her on hormones and bred her again in February. So far so good!!! She's had 3 ultrasounds over that last few months and baby looks wonderful! She's been on Regumate since day 28 and will be taken off of it day 150. This is as a precaution as hormonal problems were not the reason for the aborted fetus.
As for my stupidity here it goes! I was using the latex hospital gloves the first 2 weeks to give her 10 cc of Regumate a day. Those of you that have used it know it's very greasy and thick-ish. However I got sick of putting on those gloves and figured "what's the big deal" it was ipposible to not get a greasy hand dealing with that stuff but honestly I did not have any idea how easily and efficiently progesterone absorbs through skin! Holy sh**! Well, the last two months I hadn't been feeling that great, kind of nauseous and always dying of heat, like unbearable!!! Worst thing was my body felt really achy and when I stood up from sitting, even for a minute I could barely walk the first 20 steps. I can't explain how stiff and painful it was. I literally blew these symptoms off for over two months until I came across an article about handling Regumate without proper gloves...to put an end to this story lol I had a extremely serious amount of progesterone in my body. After 3 days of giving her the Regumate with gloves on my symptoms are about 75% gone. Ugh stupid me!

Rocklone:
You're quite lucky you realized! Regumate is quite potent. In some breeding businesses women are not even allowed to handle it let alone give it. It can cause fertility issues too so if I was you I would actually get a check up at the doctors.

dcwolcott:
I'm so glad you have some time to share with us!  And yes, that stuff is VERY hard on your system, so glad you're feeling a little better, but it couldn't hurt to be a bit extra careful, and check with your doc!

I'm so glad your mare is moving along nicely.  It was very sad in December, and I'm so looking forward to this new "little" one!!  If you get a chance can you post a picture of the "little" momma, please. Can't wait to see her!

Holly:
Oh Suebe
Ditto what others said !
So glad you updated us on your haffie. I sure hope all goes well for you this time! Looking forward to pictures and updates!!

Suebe:
You know seriously I'm just an idiot because my vet said I should use gloves and I was really good about it...for two weeks  :-\  I was like oh well I'll just wash my hands right after, no that's not even ok come to find. Progesterone absorbs so well through the skin some woman using it just use creams to get enough, ugh I was horrified! Rocklone luckily I already have four of those (kids) hahaha and thankfully I'm not a complete idiot because when I first started using the Regumate my teenage daughter held our haffy's head, I didn't even let her do that without gloves on, of course my mare now pretty much opens her mouth by herself knowing she gets a handful of her favorite treats afterward, but yeah everyone that didn't know this to the extreme, learn from my stupidity ugh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version