Author Topic: Thriller - Gelding (possible skin issues)  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Thriller - Gelding (possible skin issues)
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »
This is somewhat a reply to Dianes qu in my charm thread about who is all wrapped up to show! I felt it was more of a topic than a reply.

This is my little gelding Thriller. I had originally planned to give him a year off because as far as i know he has been shown/clipped nearly every year of his life (he is 7 this year.) I had always clipped him in about april all the years i have had him, cause of showing and he has had a bit of dandruff, but because this year i didn't clip i noticed his skin was TERRIBLE. I think he has a mild form of sweetitch or similar - he just rubs himself to scabs. SO it had to come off, and may as well show him when he is clipped.

He heals really fast and his scabs are almost gone already with some ointment, so his first show is in june. I'm not actually showing him myself, i offered him to a lady who is new to mini showing, who has her own but he is a bit feisty and shes quite nervy about it all so feels shes ruining things etc. (I have offered thriller to try and get her to relax a bit more, because that will help her horse who is AMAZING by the way and will go far just needs to relax too)

She reminds me of me when i first started, and Thriller was just the best little horse to get me started. Cant wait to see how they get on :D He needs a good few lbs off though

This is him last week with the poorly skin:

How he should look in a few weeks:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Thriller - Gelding (possible skin issues)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
We have a little "mite-like" bug that can live in the sand here in Florida.  Some horses seem to be bothered with it, and some never show any signs of itching.  But boy, the ones that react to it have the same type of skin that Thriller has.  It only lasts for a while here, so with some oil to drown the little critters, eventually, they would all heal up.

I used to hate once they started blowing their winter coats to find the little scabs.

I hope your friend does well with him.  He has a very masculine, handsome head!  And how beautiful he looks in the show picture!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:23:54 PM »
He looks a lot better with the weight off i just never seem to get it off. No amount of exercise/diet helps lol he used to be so lanky. When goldie goes off he and her are going on the bare patch and hopefully banner will have an outside mare to keep him occupied and Charm will be alone getting fatter.

he is actually a bit thin here, but he has that potential for thin!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
p.s. a bit of trivia, in the bg on the left above the pinky hat, is me in a blue coat! It was the first horse show i ever went to to wach - io had just bought Goldie about 4 weeks before lol (at the time i did not know Thriller, so did not notice him!)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
HA!! Just a great story!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
How is he doing , Is his skin issue clearing up?
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:03:39 AM »
Yes he is much better without the fur! I need to give him a full body clip again cause I just did it really rough to get the coat off.

Offline Renée

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 03:21:53 AM »
What a beautiful head! Those scabs could be caused by sweat and dirt building up under his mane, my stallion would get something similar at times. I used to rub olive oil on it for a few days and it would clear up.
Your friend is very lucky to have such a cute and experienced horse to teach her.  ;D

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
Glad he is clearing up!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:51:09 PM »
Hows is the lovely boys skin going ?

I can get this product here that I use for the first spring bath for all my minis and biggies. Its an iodine base wash called Quit itch. You may be able to get something similar there.

One of my big horses gets the same skin rash during the winter months after rugging during winter and especially when I was using Combo Rugs (which im moving away from moving forward)

Anyway just thought id check in :)

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
Thanks Ryan, its all gone. It always does when i clip, its just a heat thing. I just really wanted to see if i could avoid clipping this year but alas!

A HUGE bonus is that for whatever reason his coat has grew back jet black. I normally have to clip a few times to get him black. He looks awesome, its sooo shiney.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Good to hear that its healed quickly and he is now sporting a lovely black coat :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
Okay, that's a lead in for a picture, if I ever read one!!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »
Agreed , picture Please  :D

Offline Renée

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:39 AM »
we don't believe you, we need proof!! Lol