Message Boards > General Discussion

Thriller - Gelding (possible skin issues)

(1/3) > >>

Rocklone:
This is somewhat a reply to Dianes qu in my charm thread about who is all wrapped up to show! I felt it was more of a topic than a reply.

This is my little gelding Thriller. I had originally planned to give him a year off because as far as i know he has been shown/clipped nearly every year of his life (he is 7 this year.) I had always clipped him in about april all the years i have had him, cause of showing and he has had a bit of dandruff, but because this year i didn't clip i noticed his skin was TERRIBLE. I think he has a mild form of sweetitch or similar - he just rubs himself to scabs. SO it had to come off, and may as well show him when he is clipped.

He heals really fast and his scabs are almost gone already with some ointment, so his first show is in june. I'm not actually showing him myself, i offered him to a lady who is new to mini showing, who has her own but he is a bit feisty and shes quite nervy about it all so feels shes ruining things etc. (I have offered thriller to try and get her to relax a bit more, because that will help her horse who is AMAZING by the way and will go far just needs to relax too)

She reminds me of me when i first started, and Thriller was just the best little horse to get me started. Cant wait to see how they get on :D He needs a good few lbs off though

This is him last week with the poorly skin:

How he should look in a few weeks:

dcwolcott:
We have a little "mite-like" bug that can live in the sand here in Florida.  Some horses seem to be bothered with it, and some never show any signs of itching.  But boy, the ones that react to it have the same type of skin that Thriller has.  It only lasts for a while here, so with some oil to drown the little critters, eventually, they would all heal up.

I used to hate once they started blowing their winter coats to find the little scabs.

I hope your friend does well with him.  He has a very masculine, handsome head!  And how beautiful he looks in the show picture!!

Rocklone:
He looks a lot better with the weight off i just never seem to get it off. No amount of exercise/diet helps lol he used to be so lanky. When goldie goes off he and her are going on the bare patch and hopefully banner will have an outside mare to keep him occupied and Charm will be alone getting fatter.

he is actually a bit thin here, but he has that potential for thin!

Rocklone:
p.s. a bit of trivia, in the bg on the left above the pinky hat, is me in a blue coat! It was the first horse show i ever went to to wach - io had just bought Goldie about 4 weeks before lol (at the time i did not know Thriller, so did not notice him!)

dcwolcott:
HA!! Just a great story!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version