Author Topic: Foal color calculator  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Foal color calculator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
I love charms colour, but any darker and...ehhh!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
Yes she is bred to riot he has one copy of black, one bay. He is simple!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »
I got the website from Diane W. for the foal color predictor at the genetics lab and so far it is spot on with the color choices. For instance, I bred my black appaloosa mare to my chestnut fewspot stud and the outcome 50% bay appy and my bay appy dun filly was born healthy and beautiful. This little one is sold and heading to Florida!

Congrats on her sale!

So....  does a "fewspot" appaloosa always sire/produce color?  I'm still very new to appaloosa genetics, so bear with me.

I like my tobiano genetics and it was a huge surprise to test our 1st stallion's last Shetland colt (worthy of stud duty before color testing, IMO) and find out he was homozygous for tobiano (100% color producer - but no guarantee as to amount of white - u can see that the colt we had is rather minimal in the white department and his sire had substantially more white).  It was always a treat to see how much or how little white white our first shetland stallion sired (he was also homozygous black - so no chestnut pintos from him).

It will be interesting to test our red tobiano filly to see if she's carrying a silver gene and if she's homozygous for tobiano.  We already know she carries a bay agouti since her sire is homozygous for bay.  May not matter - not really liking her hind leg conformation at the moment.  Will give her time to grow out, since she's only 2 weeks old, but...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »
Yes, fewspots ALWAYS produce appaloosa, because they're homozygous for appaloosa.  It's so hard to get a novice to understand that the fewspots (many with only spots on their skin that you never see -- so they really look "unspotted" are an Appaloosa breeder's dream! 

So many people want the leopards, but they only throw the gene 50% of the time, so you can breed 2 full leopards together and 25% of the time get NO spots.  Happened to me once, and I just couldn't believe it, and at the time I had probably 5 leopards here.  Dumped all but Spotty -- who seemed to throw his appy gene every time when bred appy, and traded them in for fewspots and snowcaps -- who are also homozygous.

I just LOVE the appaloosa genetics.  Then you have the PATN1 genes....so much fun!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »
Speaking of appies...  I think Monte is starting to get snowflakes or some sort of appy markings, he's getting a few white spots on his face (not scars or the like), will have to look closer at his body.   Tana, his dam, only has characteristics that I've seen, but her light color makes it harder to notice spots, she might have a couple snowflakes on her back, but I'd have to look closer.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »
How old is Monte? Snowflakes are so cool! They are like a new horse every year. When I'm at my computer I'll post a few pictures of one of mine that was solid at birth, began to get spots at age 3, and by 5, well, you wouldn't believe it. I'll try to remember tomorrow morning!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »
How old is Monte? Snowflakes are so cool! They are like a new horse every year. When I'm at my computer I'll post a few pictures of one of mine that was solid at birth, and began to get spots at age 3, and by 5, well, you wouldn't believe it. I'll try to remember tomorrow morning!

Monte is 4, and I think his dam, Tana, is 11.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
Here's Clover, as promised.  A beautiful snowflake!

The first picture was when she was 3, and was just starting her snowflakes, and the next was 2 years later - age 5, and the third a year after that.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
I think snowflake applies are beautiful...course I love all appy patterns! Some day I will get an appy mare...dreaming of LP/ LP   PTN 1/PTN1 !!! In chestnut
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »
OKKKKK - if I could get that?

I'd want it in base color of silver black or silver bay and that can drive in harness (draft style)!!

WOW, Clover is something else.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Renée

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 04:16:58 AM »
I find colour genetics so intriguing, there is just so much to learn. I am more an appy fan than a tobiano fan yet my minimal white stallion would through load white colts. The only time he threw a solid filly was with a mare I sold pregnant. Typical of my luck. lol

Clover is just about my dream horse Diane :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:13 AM »
All these years of breeding and Ive NEVER had a colored foal! Ive had one that came preloaded that threw a silver Smokey black, ( Katie) and I had roans from Kate (all but this year) But never have had a white patterned pony... I hope Grace will make me a pinto 1/2 welsh, and maybe if Katie is bred I can get a buckskin pinto!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »
We'll be watching very carefully to see if your wishes come true !!   ;pray

Offline Renée

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 07:04:04 AM »
Is there a Colour Fairy out there somewhere?  ;)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
Let's hope!  And that she can be "captured" !!