Author Topic: Sugars foaling 2016  (Read 8956 times)

Offline Lnight89

Sugars foaling 2016
« on: May 15, 2016, 11:25:34 PM »
So because it's pretty chilly here still and just incase sugar has her foal before it warms up , I started on a blanket tonight. I'm not done yet have to add straps etc but do you guys think it's too big? I've never had a mini foal so without using a pattern and just winging it I wasn't sure if I guessed right on the size haha. I plan on making another so that I have two on hand so let me know if this looks too big or too small or if I should change anything! Thanks!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Sugars foaling 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:11:49 AM »
Trying to remember how big mine are, I think I have one that's around 22" long, but I might be wrong on that measurement.
Yours looks fabulous.

Only picture I can find that has a foal wearing a blanket.  My minis are mostly 36-38" tall, so this is a good size baby for a mini; I got the blanket from a friend (traded her one of the quilts I made for her mini blankets she no longer needed, as she was out of minis).

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
Oh my gosh that one is so cute :) I was going to make the second one a girl colour haha so far sugar has only had fillies and I believe the stud has had only one colt so we shall see! I'm keeping the foal so both are fine by me :)

Perfect , I think it's right about 22 inches long ( give or take half an inch haha :)

Sugar is 38 inches as well 

and thank you!

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
There  my daughters are much happier now that there's a girl and a boy one haha :D

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 03:11:39 PM »
Very cute.
Oh, just a tip or perhaps a warning.  Some mares do not like blankets on their babies or it's like they don't recognize their baby after it's been blanketed, so make sure the  mare can see you put the blanket on her baby, and then watch her and make sure she continues to take care of her baby once the blanket is on.
Likely will only be needed at night or on really chilly days, usually only the first few days are they necessary when the foal has trouble thermo-regulating (keep body temp stable).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »
Oh good advice Thanks! And yeah I don't even plan on putting them on them of the weather stays like today. Saturday it was only 3 out so I wanted them on stand by incase it gets silly cold again. But awesome for real thank you for the information!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
Just cute as can be!! You can always rub outside of blanket on foal right after its born to get some of its am ll on it. Great job!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »
That's a great idea!!  As long as the blanket smells like baby, you shouldn't have a problem.  I'd keep them bagged once they are completed, and take them out at the birth, especially if you have dogs or cats that might leave their smell on them. 

They are adorable!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
Thanks :)I had way too much fun making them lol oh I definitely have dogs and cats and a million other things so that's a great idea bagging them up! Thanks :)

Offline Renée

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 03:15:59 AM »
wow, well done, they are adorable. I can't remember the size of mine but I will check when I get home. My mares were a lot smaller though so not sure mine will help.
It is great that you are prepared, I am not a lover of putting blankets on babies but sometimes you have no choice.
This little guy had to wear two plus a hot water bottle when he was sleeping, the weather had turned so cold and he was having trouble regulate, it only took a week or so for him to get stronger though luckily.

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »
wow, well done, they are adorable. I can't remember the size of mine but I will check when I get home. My mares were a lot smaller though so not sure mine will help.
It is great that you are prepared, I am not a lover of putting blankets on babies but sometimes you have no choice.
This little guy had to wear two plus a hot water bottle when he was sleeping, the weather had turned so cold and he was having trouble regulate, it only took a week or so for him to get stronger though luckily.

Yeah I'm hoping the weather will just stay good from here on out but our weather is so unpredictable so just in case :)

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 06:32:57 AM »
Ok so an update on sugar now .  Not really any change! I'll take new pictures to compare when I do morning feeds.

I have another question for you all. Like I said this is my first mini pregnancy, my large mares would get a teeny bit uncomfortable towards the end but not a big enough change for other people to even notice. Well Sugar just looks SO uncomfortable and just cranky. She'll be munching on her hay and all of a sudden look back at her belly get really annoyed looking (I'm hiding so it's not because she knows I'm watching haha) and go walk to the middle of her stall for a minute looking  honestly the only word I can think of is just so uncomfortable. A few min later she goes back and continues eating as normal.  I've been checking her udders , vulva etc every time I'm out there and nothing else has had too much change. So my question I guess is do minis get real uncomfortable near the end because of their small size or was I just lucky with the mares I bred before?  Thank you in advance :)

Offline Renée

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 03:58:19 AM »
Yes, most minis get very uncomfortable towards the end, especially before the foal turns in to the "take off" position where its back becomes lined up with the mares back. Of course as with humans you will get some mares that are less tolerant than others. Some mares just seem to be born to breed and others make it look like real hard work.

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
Ok thanks :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 02:13:02 PM »
Looking forward to new pictures!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com