Author Topic: Falabella Blend small mare with large foal or possible twins!  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Hickory Springs

• We love raising Pure Falabellas at Hickory Springs
    • hickoryspringsfalabellas.com
Hi Everyone,
We are in the midst of foaling season with six foals on the ground and all fillies!  Hooray!! ^-^
One of our blend mares, Nell is huge and not due until June 4th which will be her 326th day of gestation.
I had the vet out twice for her, about three weeks ago and then yesterday. Our vet did an ultrasound to see if she was carrying twins, and she found a rather large foal in utero but said that there may be a smaller compromised foal hidden out of view. She could not hear two heart beats and she told me that she is worried about the mare rupturing the tendons that hold up the uterus since she is so large and uncomfortable.
Nell is not able to get down as she acts fearful of not being able to get back up. Had the farrier out last week to do her feet and he said feet are holding up well.
So, our vet stated that Nell will not go to June 4th by her predictions, and the vet gave me her emergency contact phone number that directly goes to her.
Fingers crossed as we near Nell's impending birthing.
Let me know your thoughts on her size, and any other suggestions you all may have to better prepare and get the foal(s) safely born.
We have her in a birthing stall and cameras on her 24/7 but only hooked up to our home. I am up all night and my husband watches while I take short naps. Right now she is munching her hay.
Thanks,
Debbie

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Falabella Blend small mare with large foal or possible twins!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 03:38:12 PM »
Check out Diane's "fat mare" post on the Welcome forum, her mares are quite large.  And, I think Paula posted a couple pics of her large mares too.  Previous pregnancies, that resulted in foals and I don't think they had issues, but you'd have to check with them on that.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »
Congrats on your foals so far! I sure hope things go well for you with this mare, she sure is wide and low looking, hopefully she wont have any troubles, and the foal is just laying awkwardly.
How does she look per her other foaling signs? Any udder development? Is this her first foal?
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »
Yes I posted pics of two separate mares.  The one mare, multiple years.  Think Diane still has mine "beat", tho!

I can't really tell anything from these shots other than the foal appears to be laying all on the right side & yep very large.  Can you do the usual - and take pics from her level?  These look like you are standing at full height to take them (maybe?).

What is her udder like?  Full, hard, milk & what type of consistency is it? 

I know that I got clear, non-sticky fluid from both of ours on Thursday (no PH testing) - both foaled - 1 really early AM Friday morning and the 2nd a few hours later.  Neither had very large bags, however both are maidens and both seem to be producing milk just fine.  In fact, the filly's dam was streaming milk for a while - I collected it and syringed it into the foal - whom I wasn't seeing do a good job of latching on and nursing.  After that, she did much better.  Not sure if the extra "oompf" helped her or if it helped milking the mare to change the shape of her teats...  It did help for us to contain the mare in a much smaller area and even to hold her still so the filly could actually nurse, too.

WOW, ALL FILLIES???  For me that's always cool - I like fillies so much better than colts.  I just like them better, no real reason...  Congrats on those births.  And I hope to see more pics of this good looking little mare.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
And Paula, you should see the beautiful fillies she's had.  I'm very proud of this farm, as she is also raising PURE Falabellas, and has a few of mine there as well.

I think, Deb, once you see her in labor, I'd call the emergency number for the vet, and have her enroute.  This really does appear to be a large foal -- all on one side -- but if there ARE twins, it might be difficult for the first one to line up.

Better to have a vet arrive to a new foal safely on the ground, than be too late to intervene if necessary.  I know you're very experienced, and have saved many a foal, but better to be safe, and have her arrive in time to either greet the new little one, or put her gloves on!!!

You need to post pictures of those precious six little filles for us to see!  They are just beautiful!~
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 12:12:29 AM »
yes please share pictures!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 12:38:25 AM »
You should also go check out our 'Fat mare' thread. As big as my ladies were they didn't foal for 6 weeks from the photo time. And both had only one small foal, but a HUGE amount of amniotic fluid.

Sometimes I wonder about 'gestational diabetes' like people get, and wonder if mares that get this large could have something like that.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
Oh wow! She sure looks huge! I can imagine how uncomfortable she feels. Congrats on all the fillies so far and good luck !

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »
I would love to see pics of the other fillies!  I'm a sucker for little girl horses!!!!!!!!  Well, we DID have a pretty nice boy ourselves this year and last year, too.   ;D

I'm glad to hear that there are others breeding the Falabellas to keep pure lines going.  I don't know much about it, but think it's good to preserve what was started and maintained for so long!

Please let us know how this tiny, LARGE, mare does.  I will keep her in my prayers that everything lines up well and is OK for you and her when she goes into labor.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Renée

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 03:43:19 AM »
Congratulations on the safe arrival of all your girls, Are you holding the Filly Fairy hostage in your barn? lol
I second what Diane says about calling the vet as soon as she goes into labour and check before hand how long it will take the vet to arrive. Often when you prepare for the worst things go smoothly.
She does look large considering she isn't due until June. Is there any chance she had a secret date with a handsome stallion before?

Offline Hickory Springs

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 10:56:55 PM »
Hi all,
I have been so busy with foaling and watching this mare who is getting bigger by the hour. For those of you who have asked about her bag and other developments, I have pics of her udder I will post showing the beginning of development up until his evening. Her udder is filling and getting hard now. No sweating from her yet, but she is breathing rapidly and has difficulty getting down and back up.
Nell spends more time pacing, and standing then up and down. She has a very difficult time reaching behind her to bite at her sides, but she has been doing the kicking the stomach antics for awhile now. She is dropping considerably so I have been up all night every night watching this mare.
My vet gave me her personal cell number and the emergency number is she doesn't answer so no worries, I will have that foal out with their assistance.
Over the past three weeks I have had my vet out twice now just to make sure her tendons are holding that foal up and she has warned me that the tendons can rupture and I would know it immediately as the stomach would be practically on the ground. If this does happen, we will do an emergency C Section. So we are just waiting and hoping for a great outcome. The sire of this foal is Sreenan's Hot Shot, so he should help keep the foal down in size. With the ultrasound it showed the foal on the right side and all her internal organs not the left. The baby is lying in a weird position too. The head could not be found in the ultrasound but the body and heart looked fine. Fingers crossed and here are the updated photos. Thanks for caring!  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
Come on my little boy, Hot Shot, downsize that little one for us!!  Praying for a great outcome with an uneventful foaling!!

When you're more awake, you'll have to post some pictures of those fabulous fillies you've had!!

I'm praying like mad for a healthy little one safely on the ground!!   ;pray ;pray ;pray

Offline Hickory Springs

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 11:20:45 PM »
Thanks Diane...I just posted the six fillies we have so far so check it out!  I am watching my cameras and enjoying seeing the foals playing while watching Nell. They are so cute and full of themselves!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:37 PM »
They are all so feminine looking and so beautiful!  Thank you for sharing all their pictures!  Gorgeous!

Offline Anna

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:14 AM »
Keeping your little mare in my thoughts and prayers - good luck.