Author Topic: AI?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
AI?
« on: October 01, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
Ive always belived minis are just too small to attempt AI. But the situation im in now is that there are no AMHA stallions at public here (they keep the for tehire own mares which is fine) and im not willing to lease Meadow out just for someone else to get a foal out of her. Im also not willing to breed her to just any stallion that i can to get a foal. If i am breeding her it will and will only be to a registered AMHA stallion because that is what i want. Due to my location and the world as it is right now its not feasible to take her to a stud in the UK and it would be a lot of expense.

Has anyone successfully AI a mini and if so, what was the process/costs/how far can the sperm travel etc?

I have not spoken to my vet about it yet, but he is a progressive type and might enjoy the journey if it was successful. If it was done, it would likely be the first time here. Shes a maiden mare, so is a "tight" passage and has never been scanned etc and i dunno how easily she could be.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: AI?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »
Well, here in the US you KNOW that Little King's MUST have been doing AI successfully for Boones Little Buckeroo, since many of the horses offered for sale with Buckeroo as the sire were produced all the way up to 2011, the year of his death.  I think it's doubtful that he was still a virile breeding stallion at 33, but I guess it's possible.

I do know of several farms that have done AI successfully, although I haven't been  involved in that.  Good luck finding a good stallion for your girls, and hope your vet is up to the challenge!!   ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 11:07:43 PM »
I'm attaching a link to San Samuel Farm in Columbia.  I apologize, it's in Spanish (I'm bi-lingual), however, it's a fascinating look at how they do AI.

The main narrator is a veterinarian.  She makes mention of the fact that minis are different from biggies, in that their season is a little longer and their follicular development is different.  You'll see their mini false vagina, a brief ultrasound clip, a n example of them collecting a stallion, and a BEAUTIFUL barn setup.  Not to mention the drool worthy horses!! (They also don't believe in cross-breeding color patterns like we do in the U.S.  It's strictly pinto->pinto, appaloosa->appaloosa.)  Their contact  info is at the end of the video. Since many of their breeding stallions are from the United States, I'd bet they have bilingual people on staff.  You could contact them with questions you'd have about procedures, equipment suppliers and whatever else you might think op

As far as shipping semen, I think it depends on fresh vs. frozen.  I don't believe distance is as much of an issue with frozen.   Coordinating everything is going to be a bigger challenge.

Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/P7IxCuJfcQE

I hope this helps you get your four-legged...what were the words you used in Louis's thread...oh yes...tart..harlot...at any rate sweet innocent Meadow...settled.

Julie
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 03:35:44 PM »
Haha wow i never knew about the longer season thing! That makes SO much sense!!!! I was on the verge of getting the vet to scan her ovaries because her seasons were simply too long! Really helpful info. thank you :D

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »
Checking in to see how your AI research went.  Were you able to find out about having it done by your vet?  Was there a stallion avaliable for Meadow?  Have you any prospects for 2021?  Has the whole pandemic thing just put everything off until.....???
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 05:10:23 PM »
No nothing has happened. I didn't bother to ask questions, life just seems to be stopped at the moment!

If i was to ask about it all, i think i would need to have a good stallion sample lined up. I think my vet would be the sort to enjoy "new" ventures but i don't really know if im the person to do that. I have limited land, limited funds and i am very bad at selling foals (as in i can't do it hahah)

But i might contact a few friends and ask about it and see if anyone is interested. I would love to see what Meadow could put out, shes got such good breeding and shes a lovely mare so i would be more than willing to let someone i trusted lease her to breed..i don't need a foal but i think she could give a good line/stamp to the breed. Ive kind of come away from the local clubs a lot...just not into the drama they have had...so frankly the contacts pool is very very small for me

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 09:50:01 AM »
This has been a tough year for all, and drama in horse clubs is nothing new, and if you're like me --nothing enjoyed!!

We'd love to see what Meadow could produce too.  She is so pretty and well bred, for sure!  You should post a couple of new photos of her so we can see how she continues to grow beautifully!! 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 01:54:09 PM »
I must take some lol! ive been quite bad at taking any proper photos for years. just normal field photos, and shes notoriously hard to get photos of cause shes always in your face!

This is just two from a few weeks ago in the snow :)  and one from summer 2019..literally there are no others!! im so bad lol

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »
She's so pretty in that summer picture!!   And the fluffy winter ones are just great!!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
Shes a very pretty mare. More short coupled than a lot that are around. Looking at conformation from a "useful" perspective i tend to prefer them with a shorter back, something i think gets missed a little in minis. A judge once told me to never ever let her show stood "out" because she is much more perfect stood totally square.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
For sure!  She has that "look" !!!