Author Topic: Where is everybody? Fall Check-in 2020...  (Read 3630 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Where is everybody? Fall Check-in 2020...
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
Glad the calves sold, but sorry about the hay.  I know you can work your magic on getting things balanced for the upcoming calving season.  How many calves did you get this past year?

Sorry about the quilters group.  I'm sure with the COVID everyone is distancing.  So many meetings cancelled AND SO QUIET HERE!

We had a music teacher in one of the elementary schools test positive -- which meant quarantining 23 classes for the next few weeks, since the music teacher travels into the classrooms, so when she was tested positive, every class that had her was sent out on quarantine.  Hopefully none of the kids tests positive.  But, although there have been outbreaks, we haven't had a death in a long while.  This is a small county, only 38,001 persons, and we've had 2,118 cases -- so less that even 1% (0.0031) with only 33 deaths overall. 

I hope and pray others here are in like situations.  Even 1 death is terrible, but our stats are much better than some areas.   ;pray ;pray 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
Working on this.  Not sure what it is, baby quilt, wall hanging???   I just liked the giraffe print.  Not sure how much outer pink border I'll add, but the 6" piece seems like too much.  [The blue border is 4".]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
I just find i don't have much to say really. I havent done anything with the minis and realistically i don't really plan to do anything with them in future...id consider selling the youngsters but i would only ever want them to go to a good home and there are so many bad ones here so i would not even advertise them for sale. The older three will be with me until the time they need to go, which won't be that much longer really. I love the wee beasties but my heart really just lies with a bigger horse.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 05:09:15 PM »
I?ve been getting ready for summer . Now everything has just about dried out here , I?ll be on the mower for the next few weekends. I?m glad to be out of lockdown here , 6 months was a very long time. We are now 28 days with no new cases. I think I?ll start looking for a new riding horse over the Xmas break. My remaining TB is starting to show some wear and tear from his racing career, so he is more suitable for light trail riding these days.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 11:17:58 PM »
We've not had a full lockdown.   How strict is that?  Were you still able to go out and get groceries and necessities?
We had "social distancing" and masks; not sure how well a full lockdown would have gone over, might still come to that.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 03:44:35 PM »
Sorry I've been "lost".  Had computer issues with the new computer getting things back where they belong, and had to resign into the group.  DUH!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »
Sorry I've been "lost".  Had computer issues with the new computer getting things back where they belong, and had to resign into the group.  DUH!
very glad you are back.
Sorry your new computer caused you problems.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
Making me a bit crazy.  I have been working on 3 grants -- one due 12/3, one due 12/11 and on due 12/14.  Don't have time for "issues", and I'm really thinking it isn't really MY computer, but the federal system that has an error.  I spent almost all day on Friday with HRSA about their system, then they have been down for maintenance from Saturday morning at 8 AM until tonight at 10 PM, so just spinning my wheels and getting hot under the collar!  LOL

They are trying to figure out why their site isn't responding correctly, but of course it's for the one that is due on Thursday, so running out of time.   :o

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
The full lockdown was probably better for me than most as I have a little more room to move around at home being on acerage. Only one person was aloud to leave the house at any one time and we were not allowed to go more than 5kms from home . Apart from supermarkets and essential services , everything was closed . No visitors at home in the beginning but that slowly increased over time . My mum , as she hasn?t been too well over the last few years , hadn?t left the house in 6 months apart from Drs appointments . How are the numbers fairing in the states ?

On a brighter note .... I?m thinking it?s about time to start looking for a new riding horse  ;D ;D

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2020, 09:51:58 PM »
The full lockdown was probably better for me than most as I have a little more room to move around at home being on acerage. Only one person was aloud to leave the house at any one time and we were not allowed to go more than 5kms from home . Apart from supermarkets and essential services , everything was closed . No visitors at home in the beginning but that slowly increased over time . My mum , as she hasn?t been too well over the last few years , hadn?t left the house in 6 months apart from Drs appointments . How are the numbers fairing in the states ?

On a brighter note .... I?m thinking it?s about time to start looking for a new riding horse  ;D ;D
    Holy cow that's a serious lockdown, not near that strict in the states, and definitely not that strict where I live.   Couldn't have abided by the 5km rule if I tried, since the closest decent grocery store is 65 miles (crappy little store a bit closer but costs at least 50% more than the further store).
I don't know actual numbers, but they seem to be increasing or static rather than decreasing.
   On, the happier note, what type of riding horse are you looking for?
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
It was definitely on the strict side of things , but I think it?s helped for a somewhat normal Xmas . Let?s hope the vaccinations work  ;pray

I?m thinking maybe something with a little more comfort than a thoroughbred . I?ve been looking at a gypsy cob cross but it?s only recently broken in and really lacking experience , considering the price they are asking .  There?s not a lot around at the moment unfortunately 😊

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
Gee Ryan, I don't know when we'll even get to ONE day without a new case. 😔

Here in North Carolina, we're on a modified plan as of 11 December and until at least 8 January.  We must wear masks in public and maintain 6 foot distance. No gatherings of more than 10 people indoors, although we can still have church as long as distancing is done.  No outdoor groups larger than 50.  No non-emergency outdoor activities between 10 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.  No more than 50% capacity in businesses, and curbside service is highly recommended.

Our cases are still increasing rapidly, so I expect to see things tightened up after Christmas holidays end.

Today I received my annual update to the cut flower course I took last year.  It came with a complete 1/10 acre garden plan that I can't wait to review!!

I've been gathering the items that I need for my 2021 vision board collage.  I'm having a terrible time finding old magazines to take clippings from though.  Our county offices are still closed, so no library without an appointment.  Second hand stores don't accept book or magazine donations right now.  I suppose I'll have to look through digital copies and see if I can print pages.

As an alumni, I can participate in the online course for life, and will be starting that again in January.  I've even got a WordPress website started...though I have to correct the year.  Below is a link to what I've started.  The background is a Camellia bush of my friend's.  I took the pictures while petsitting for her.

https://silvercityhf.wordpress.com/

Ryan, it's the second day of summer for you.  How is it?  Do you have your gardens in, or did you decide to go minimalist this year and concentrate on your search for a new riding partner?  Oh, do please keep us in the loop on that!  You, in particular, know how connected I am to your riding experiences.  Though I've not been HERE much, I've been THERE in my imagination a lot. 😊

Not much planned for Christmas. I won't be attending any in person activities, as I've had a very bad cold the last couple of weeks.  I'll do Christmas Eve service online.  I found a new jingle stick last Friday when I snuck out for groceries at 0600, so I've been listening to Christmas carols and shake-shake-shaking it every day since.

Tomorrow I'll be doing a deep clean and sanitize in the trailer.  Call to see if there are burn restrictions.  Pack up all my stuff so I can transition into the house at the start of the New Year.  And that's it for now. 😅
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
Not really sure it fits here, but since it doesn't need it's own thread, here is where it will go.
Shayne got me a new monitor for Christmas.
Last year, I had to get a new tower, had to upgrade to Windows 10, I had a nice monitor, so only got the tower.    New tower arrives and the monitor would not hook-up, the cables were screwy, so I dug an old monitor out of the closet, which was much smaller, but I figured it would do.    Shayne was tired of me complaining about the smaller monitor, so got me a new one for Christmas.   
 I ordered from the same place I got my tower from last year.
  The small monitor I had was about 15", my choices were more 15" or jump to 21", so I made the leap, but had no idea just how big it would be.   Perhaps I'll need to keep my desk more clean from here on out.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 10:15:32 AM »
Awesome!!!  I made the same leap to Windows 10 and added a 21" monitor, too. 

CONGRATS on your new setup!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 11:01:22 AM »
Awesome!!!  I made the same leap to Windows 10 and added a 21" monitor, too. 

CONGRATS on your new setup!!
Thank you.  It's great on FB, I can now see the details on the horse group postings, especially the color groups.
Chanda
HC Minis