Author Topic: Hopeful for 2020  (Read 9132 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Hopeful for 2020
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
A bit of a belly is just fine!  We'll pray she goes to at least 300 days, and hope for a few more after that, hoping for March 13th.

As she nears delivery, we would like some "special" pictures that will help us know she's getting closer.  The first picture would be a full side view right down at her level -- so you're taking the picture looking right across from her.  The second would be taking a picture standing behind her, again, right down on her level.

Both pictures will help us guage how baby is "riding" and positioning within momma.  Even with a maiden mare, there are certain things that will be moving baby along to lining up and getting in position for birth, so we'll be able to help you know when to take momma to the vet for delivery.

So excited for you!!  (and us!)
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 10:38:57 AM »
I can certainly get those pictures. I started to take her in last week because of her progress. But we have it a couple of days and the vet and I decided to wait. The vet wants her there for sure by March 1st, 303 days.
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
Yes, we have time yet, but March 1st sounds about right just to be sure all is well.  Can't wait to see her progress and let the excitement build! 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
She is looking great :) Cant wait to see whats she is cooking for you in there :)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 12:14:19 AM »
I agree with Chanda's feeding recommendations. Particularly if she's one who doesn't put on weight easily at the best of times, you might want to bump her grain up.

I've seen pregnant mares lose condition fairly quickly when switching from squares to rounds.  For some reason, the round bales in this part of the world just don't live up to the same quality as the squares do.

If you see her with her face shoved up in there non-stop, that might be another indicator that she needs a calorie boost.  Give her a little hug. If you don't have to press rather firmly to feel ribs, spine or hip bones, she might need more hard feed.  Even vets tend to OVERestimate a minis weight, so you might want to keep that in mins too.

Otherwise, she's bright, shiny and seems well loved!  Looking forward to watching with you. 8)
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »
I agree with Chanda's feeding recommendations. Particularly if she's one who doesn't put on weight easily at the best of times, you might want to bump her grain up.

I've seen pregnant mares lose condition fairly quickly when switching from squares to rounds.  For some reason, the round bales in this part of the world just don't live up to the same quality as the squares do.

If you see her with her face shoved up in there non-stop, that might be another indicator that she needs a calorie boost.  Give her a little hug. If you don't have to press rather firmly to feel ribs, spine or hip bones, she might need more hard feed.  Even vets tend to OVERestimate a minis weight, so you might want to keep that in mins too.

Otherwise, she's bright, shiny and seems well loved!  Looking forward to watching with you. 8)

Thank you! I have upped her grain. She is getting between 1.5 lbs and 2lbs a day of a mare and foal feed. Plus whatever she steals from the other mares hahaha. She is the dominant mare so if they see her coming they leave pretty quickly. Even the stallion takes off if he sees her coming. She has lost her topline, but I cannot feel ribs at all. For the last month she has also been out in a pasture with plenty of good grass. So hopefully she'll continue to put on weight. The good news is the vet wasn't concerned. Regardless, I trust yall's opinion and want to get more weight on her. I am going to have to move them up closer to the manager's house it looks like. There are a bunch of coyotes but they leave the horses alone, but we have had a bunch of feral hogs has come into the area. There is a feedlot close by and they have a lot of feed sitting around so the pigs have all kinds of attractants. They could cause a problem.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »
HOGS!! >:(  >:( >:( >:( >:(

[If you're on a time crunch, skip over the section between the *'s.  It's a story. 8)]

It's been many years (in the last century!) since I've been where hogs are. Frankly, I'd be 10 times more concerned about them than all of your other predators put together.  They're big, strong, super intelligent and completely disrespectful of anything to do with humans.  Between their similar sizes, her dominance and their disrespect, I'd get her moved sooner rather than later.  That will give her time to adjust to her new paddock closer to the manager before she foals.

My own direct encounter wasn't with ferals it was with pet pigs. A place where I boarded had a trio of crossbred pigs they'd taught tricks to.  Things like fetch, gee (right) and haw (left), shake, sit, speak and I don't remember how many others.  They had to WORK for their dinners!!  >:D ;D ;D

Anyway, one day when I was helping the owner do evening chores, she told me to be a bit more vigilant than usual.  The pigs were breeding and that made them more unpredictable.  "Treat the boar like a breeding stallion," she advised as he crossed in front of me shaking his head up, down and around and grunting in anticipation as he normally did.  I stepped back to give him a bit more space and continued on to the second trough to drop feed.

We were done in about 10 minutes.  As we latched the gate after stepping out, she asked me to wait so she could show me the boar's new trick. "He'll sit up and beg!"  She called him over using his training snack--day old bread--and he ran right over.  "Beg!" she commanded.  His behind plopped right down and he lifted his head and one front leg.  As she reached over to hold the treat above his head to encourage him to lift the other leg, she exclaimed "Julie, your thigh!!"  I glanced down to see a bloody tear as long as my hand on the inside of my inner thigh.  It was stinging, not really enough to hurt much, but similar to a paper cut.  My pant leg was drenched in blood down to my knee.

We went to the bathroom and when I took off my jeans to inspect the damage, we were shocked.  It was twice as long as the rip....almost 11 inches and an inch deep.  Had it been a couple of inches closer to the inner thigh, I might have been FORCED to go to the ER.  (I didn't want to go because I knew what paperwork etc. they'd be required to fill out and the agencies they'd probably have to report to because it was caused by an animal.
Who vaccinates a pet pig against rabies?)   As it was, since her husband was a field medic in the military, we draped a sheet over my lap to protect my modesty and he put in a couple of stitches and a WHOLE LOT of butterfly bandages.  We were all surprised at the lack of pain and the cleanliness of the cut.  The edges were so neat that it was like an incision.  I still carry a 4" scar 12 years later, and we never did know if he pegged me whilst I was in the pen or when he came to do the trick.

My point to that rambling story is this:  feral hogs are easily the size of a 32 inch mini.  They have no qualms about making their way under and through fences to get to feed.  Be proactive and try to put our little Belle far far away.  In the meantime, we'll all be watching with bated breath for updates as the blessed event nears. ;pray

P.S....make sure you have your secondary foaling kit available.  You know, the one with a coffee/hot chocolate thermos, snacks, toilet paper, handiwipes, a book, etc.  Even though the vet is to foal her out you'll still need them.  ::)
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
HOGS!! >:(  >:( >:( >:( >:(

[If you're on a time crunch, skip over the section between the *'s.  It's a story. 8)]

It's been many years (in the last century!) since I've been where hogs are. Frankly, I'd be 10 times more concerned about them than all of your other predators put together.  They're big, strong, super intelligent and completely disrespectful of anything to do with humans.  Between their similar sizes, her dominance and their disrespect, I'd get her moved sooner rather than later.  That will give her time to adjust to her new paddock closer to the manager before she foals.

My own direct encounter wasn't with ferals it was with pet pigs. A place where I boarded had a trio of crossbred pigs they'd taught tricks to.  Things like fetch, gee (right) and haw (left), shake, sit, speak and I don't remember how many others.  They had to WORK for their dinners!!  >:D ;D ;D

Anyway, one day when I was helping the owner do evening chores, she told me to be a bit more vigilant than usual.  The pigs were breeding and that made them more unpredictable.  "Treat the boar like a breeding stallion," she advised as he crossed in front of me shaking his head up, down and around and grunting in anticipation as he normally did.  I stepped back to give him a bit more space and continued on to the second trough to drop feed.

We were done in about 10 minutes.  As we latched the gate after stepping out, she asked me to wait so she could show me the boar's new trick. "He'll sit up and beg!"  She called him over using his training snack--day old bread--and he ran right over.  "Beg!" she commanded.  His behind plopped right down and he lifted his head and one front leg.  As she reached over to hold the treat above his head to encourage him to lift the other leg, she exclaimed "Julie, your thigh!!"  I glanced down to see a bloody tear as long as my hand on the inside of my inner thigh.  It was stinging, not really enough to hurt much, but similar to a paper cut.  My pant leg was drenched in blood down to my knee.

We went to the bathroom and when I took off my jeans to inspect the damage, we were shocked.  It was twice as long as the rip....almost 11 inches and an inch deep.  Had it been a couple of inches closer to the inner thigh, I might have been FORCED to go to the ER.  (I didn't want to go because I knew what paperwork etc. they'd be required to fill out and the agencies they'd probably have to report to because it was caused by an animal.
Who vaccinates a pet pig against rabies?)   As it was, since her husband was a field medic in the military, we draped a sheet over my lap to protect my modesty and he put in a couple of stitches and a WHOLE LOT of butterfly bandages.  We were all surprised at the lack of pain and the cleanliness of the cut.  The edges were so neat that it was like an incision.  I still carry a 4" scar 12 years later, and we never did know if he pegged me whilst I was in the pen or when he came to do the trick.

My point to that rambling story is this:  feral hogs are easily the size of a 32 inch mini.  They have no qualms about making their way under and through fences to get to feed.  Be proactive and try to put our little Belle far far away.  In the meantime, we'll all be watching with bated breath for updates as the blessed event nears. ;pray

P.S....make sure you have your secondary foaling kit available.  You know, the one with a coffee/hot chocolate thermos, snacks, toilet paper, handiwipes, a book, etc.  Even though the vet is to foal her out you'll still need them.  ::)

That is crazy! I cannot imagine what that would have been like. Texas is pretty infested with feral hogs. Saw a video the other day where a sounder of probably 150 pigs ran across the road. Unfortunately, they are not going away anytime soon. I actually wrote a paper about the issue. Kind of rambling, but did you know that there are 8.9 to 16.4 pigs per SQUARE MILE. Multiply that by 268,597 sq miles in Texas = lots of feral pigs. They also predicted that 66% of the population every year would have to be removed to keep the population from growing and only about 30% are being removed right now. At that rate, the population would triple in three years.  >:(

Anyway, I am planning on moving all my minis ASAP. I definitely do not want the hogs getting too close. Thankfully the farm manager shoots them on sight. But it is hard to even make a dent in the population. The bad thing about moving them is they will no longer have access to much grass. But they have plenty of hay and grain. Because she is being boarded I am actually going to leave her at the vet to foal to ensure she has as much help as she needs.  Belle is putting on lots of weight now and finally looks in foal. Not as big as a seasoned broodmare, but as a maiden that is to be expected.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »
Hows your little mare coming along Elizabeth ? :)

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2020, 12:47:19 AM »
Hows your little mare coming along Elizabeth ? :)

Coming along great! We have had some crazy weather. It was in the 80s Fahrenheit and two days later we had 6 inches of snow. Two days after that it was in the 70s. And now it is in the 30s, windy, and wet.  Today is day 290. She doesn?t have much udder formation yet, but I know that can change in the blink of an eye. But I am thankful she slowed down since she started getting some at about 270. Her tailhead is super loose and has been for a while. I don?t have super recent pictures.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
All sounds like she's moving ahead just perfectly!  Keep it coming little momma!  Day 290 is just perfect, steady and strong!

You'll see an udder form as she nears her delivery date, I'm sure, but if not, it WILL show up so baby can drink -- even at the birth.  They do surprisingly well, and if she gets an udder we'll want some pictures of that, as that can also clue us in on how soon to look for delivery. 

She's doing just fine!!!

Crazy weather Ryan!  I know there has been some Censored days here as well -- low 30's and now it's in the 80's again.  I love when it's cold though.   :D

The HOG issue is upsetting for sure.  I had a neighbor that had 20 hogs that he captured from the wild and put on his property.  One day, I look out and they are "out" and rooting up the whole yard at our houses.  Since I was heading out to feed, when I went out, they jumped into feeding troughs and pushed away the horses.  Lots of upset horses!

It was my GREAT PLEASURE to send them to wherever they go when they are dead!   >:(  Never looked back, and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Sounds like your farm manager is doing a great job are eradicating them!  Good for him!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
Good to know we are not the only ones dealing with crazy weather. Not usually a fan, but I am looking forward to winter this year.

I had no idea there was so many feral pigs in Texas, bit like our problem here with rabbits. 

very excited for you :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »

I had no idea there was so many feral pigs in Texas, bit like our problem here with rabbits. 

except rabbits aren't typically dangerous to people.  But, I've heard rabbits are rampant in Oz.

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 11:46:39 PM »
All sounds like she's moving ahead just perfectly!  Keep it coming little momma!  Day 290 is just perfect, steady and strong!

You'll see an udder form as she nears her delivery date, I'm sure, but if not, it WILL show up so baby can drink -- even at the birth.  They do surprisingly well, and if she gets an udder we'll want some pictures of that, as that can also clue us in on how soon to look for delivery. 

She's doing just fine!!!

Crazy weather Ryan!  I know there has been some Censored days here as well -- low 30's and now it's in the 80's again.  I love when it's cold though.   :D

The HOG issue is upsetting for sure.  I had a neighbor that had 20 hogs that he captured from the wild and put on his property.  One day, I look out and they are "out" and rooting up the whole yard at our houses.  Since I was heading out to feed, when I went out, they jumped into feeding troughs and pushed away the horses.  Lots of upset horses!

It was my GREAT PLEASURE to send them to wherever they go when they are dead!   >:(  Never looked back, and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Sounds like your farm manager is doing a great job are eradicating them!  Good for him!

Yes we 'take care' of them as often as we get a chance. I had a picture on a game camera with three sows and 21+ piglets. All my minis have been moved and should be quite safe now.

Good to know we are not the only ones dealing with crazy weather. Not usually a fan, but I am looking forward to winter this year.

I have heard about the rabbit problem there! It is crazy!

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Small update. You'll have to ignore the mud. We have had so much moisture, it is ridiculous. Belle's attitude has deteriorated a LOT. She is typically super laid back and friendly. So much so that I have given my smallest nieces and nephews short rides on her without her having any prior training. But she actually nipped me yesterday. She is also starting the very smallest bag. Still has a lot to do there but it is a start anyway. The first picture was from yesterday and the rest are today.   

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-