Author Topic: Little Saffron's Sepsis is NOT gone!  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Hickory Springs

• We love raising Pure Falabellas at Hickory Springs
    • hickoryspringsfalabellas.com
Little Saffron's Sepsis is NOT gone!
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
 :-[Hi everyone...
Here is an update on little Saffron who got Sepsis her second week of life. She was doing great on the two different antibiotics that our vet, Ashley put her on.
On Tuesday this week, we knew that it would be her last day covered by the long acting meds, and that evening Saffron spiked a fever of 102, so we immediately put a call in to our vet and she told us to give her Banamine. Unfortunately, the Sepsis is still in her system and Ashley arrived on Wednesday morning first thing to give her another long acting shot. Saffron is now resting comfortably and the fever is gone. We will give her another long acting shot next week and go from there.
As you can imagine we are stressed about this horrible illness. Ashley believes that Chelsea, Saffron's mama did not have adequate amounts of Colostrum for her baby and that this compromised Saffron's health. We will keep everyone posted.
Thanks for your caring.
Debbie

Offline Lnight89

Re: Little Saffron's Sepsis is NOT gone!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »
Oh no! :( hopefully this time the antibiotics kick this sepsis' butt! Poor girl!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:53:50 PM »
OMG!!  Praying for this little one.  Just got home from vacation, and this is NOT the news I wanted to see/hear.

Yes, colostrum is the key, and praying she will pull through this quickly and begin the road to health.   ;pray ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:01:20 PM »
I'm so glad that she's doing better and praying for you that the 2nd shot helps.

;pray
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
So sorry that this returned, hopefully now that she has had the second shot she will continue to improve.

Poor little girl , thank goodness the fever has gone  ;pray

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
It's been a couple of days, so I'm hoping she's still on the road to recovery.

Threads like this one are what I recommend for reading to anyone who is considering breeding. One must truly have a stout heart and deep pockets when undertaking the betterment of a breed.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
VERY true!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »
😞 sure hope this shot helps!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Anna

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:43:24 AM »
Sending prayers and healing throughts for little Saffron - and for you and the family too.   ;pray

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
Hi Debbie......

Here's hoping that 2017 finds you, your family and your animals doing well. How did Saffron recover? Did she experience in delays because of her illness? Has she grown into a fine Falabella yearling?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
I'll let Debbie know we're looking for her!  She's had quite the "ride" this winter, and battling the cold from Lake Erie and the winter all up north are battling!  She's also running about 60+ horses now, so not sure how often she checks on the forum.  But I'll let her know we're looking for her.  I talk to her almost every day!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
I'll let Debbie know we're looking for her!  She's had quite the "ride" this winter, and battling the cold from Lake Erie and the winter all up north are battling!  She's also running about 60+ horses now, so not sure how often she checks on the forum.  But I'll let her know we're looking for her.  I talk to her almost every day!
Holy Cow, 60+ head of horses; Shayne thinks I've over run with just 12 or so (I need to take a count, I had a high of 16, but lost a couple, sold one, and always want more).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:13 AM »
Holy Cow, 60+ head of horses; Shayne thinks I've over run with just 12 or so (I need to take a count, I had a high of 16, but lost a couple, sold one, and always want more).

Chanda - YOU are so funny!!

But I agree.  The last time I dealt w/ 60 horses every day - I had 12 (on 3-4 acres of pasture - 2 miles from the barn) and the rest were boarders that I cared for at the farm we leased our pasture and mobile home lot from (mobile home lot was on same property as boarding barn & in 2006 became a NICE vet hospital! We had moved in 2004.).  We only had 10-13 stalls full (out of 24) most times - but we were off of a major highway and did overnights for race horses (mostly) and others, too.  One year, we housed part of the Olympic team over the whole weekend as they took a break from traveling.

Now I have 30 head of my own but am working a part-time/full-time job off the property and it's a lot more difficult than i remember - even with them on pasture!  The fall of 2016 was especially rough - had some things go wrong.

Also hoping everything turned out OK with Saffron!!!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC