Author Topic: NEW COLT - CharKoal!!  (Read 4353 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
NEW COLT - CharKoal!!
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS ON THIS HANDSOME BOY!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Re: NEW COLT!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks, DIANE!

Here are pics from yesterday with "CharKoal" about 1.5 days old...

One of our feral farm kitties has become friendly (to an extent) and sometimes wants to be picked up, loved on, scritched etc.  This night, she let us both know that she wanted some of the attention the babies had been getting,   :D

"GG" checking out Sierra while she's working with "KoKo"s colt.  "GG" was shooed away by both Sierra and I, right as her ears went flat back and before she stomped on either Sierra or the colt.  "KoKo" is tied up just outside of the frame of these pics and she was one MAD pony.  She stood stomping, whinnying, going down on her knees and standing up and pawing like crazy.  When "GG" came over and I snapped this pic, she went just about berserk.  No worries, she wasn't quite mad enough to totally sit back on her tie (she does know better), but she definitely let us know she was not happy.  The grandchildren are NOT allowed in the round pen by themselves right now...  and we make sure NO ONE gets between "KoKo" and "CharKoal".  I have no doubt that that person would be flattened or at least feel some pain from mamma "KoKo".  While she is being tied safely, she is not being heavily corrected as I don't feel her being protective is a bad thing.  I do want her to learn it is OK for us to handle her colt and that it is not acceptable to try to bite, kick or run us over - but we aren't forgetful of her either.

BIT CHECK!  We try to handle our baby's heads and mouths (gums, teeth, tongue) a lot when they are small.  That way they are ok with worming, dental work and being bitted for driving and riding in the future.  Of the three babies so far, "CharKoal" is the least concerned and 'chewey'...

While we've never shod our ponies since we got back into equine, we do handle, touch, rub, lift and here Sierra is tapping "CharKoal"s hoof sole.

Already unfolding well but he still hasn't shed the foal slipper completely from his hind hooves.  We'll help him with that tomorrow after I get a new pair of nippers.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 06:59:55 PM »
Awesome pictures, and I just love the stories you tell with the pictures!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
U made me laff, Diane!

I know that not all follow the handling like we do.  I'm so glad the girls (& even the granddaughters) are helping this year.  It's nice.  If you go out to Chylly's photo album, I added a group of pics to hers and I put "quips" on them that "match" what the handler of the foal is doing (arms around belly @ elbows - "may the girth be with you"...).  I'll go drop a couple in the LP Painted Ponys thread...

What was really nice, was having Sierra almost fall over in surprise.  The two babies from 2015 are not easy to catch.  Still have some issues with that BUT once haltered they are pretty good.  Sierra hadn't realized I've actually done quite a bit of leading with "Riddler" and when he led right out for her, her jaw hit the sand.  He's actually been on a trailer ride - about 45 miles round trip and has had his Rabies vax and Coggins done.  Blitzen was a little more...like... "I don't know ya, so I back up well".  For only the 3rd actual time she'd had a halter on, I dropped a butt rope around her HQ and she then marched right out.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:27:13 PM »
Oh he is handsome! Shares a birthday with my filly from sugar last year :)

Offline Renée

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:23:09 AM »
Greta pics :) I am also very hands on with my babies once they are a few weeks old, I find it so much easier to do stuff with them and it also makes weaning easier.

Offline Ellesan

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:07:22 PM »
He's gorgeous!!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Re: NEW COLT - CharKoal!!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
Beautiful!!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Renée

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 02:55:17 AM »
Congratulations!!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 07:30:37 PM »
Congratulations Paula , see what happens when i go on Holiday , all these beautiful foals are born :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
Well, we're very glad you're back!!  We've had some gorgeous foals born!!

Offline Hickory Springs

• We love raising Pure Falabellas at Hickory Springs
    • hickoryspringsfalabellas.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »
I love your colt, CharKoal...what an adorable boy and nice markings too!  Congrats!!!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »
Wow - it's been a while since I've been to "Koal"s post!

Thanks all who have liked this fellow!  He has been sold and will be going to my pony girl friend when he is weaned.

He was introduced to water on the 28th of June - after an all day "monsoon".  Our temporary pond wasn't filled as much as the first time "chylly" was worked, but it was enough for a good intro to water!  Since he hasn't had nearly as much work on line, leading and going away from his dam, I went into the pond w/ him - I just don't show up in most of the pics, lol.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
I just love his white tail!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »
LOVE those pictures!!  He did really well!! And congratulations on his sale!  Hope the new owner will join us here and keep us updated!!  Please do an invite for us.  We love following our little ones!