Author Topic: damn it!  (Read 4482 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: damn it!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »
Praying the disappearances stop sooner than later.   ;pray ;pray

So sad this is happening, but how nice one of your old cats came back. 

I'm praying this sadness ends  ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »
Thank you, Diane.
I keep forgetting how crafty coyotes are, and if it's a coyote, it may take more serious intervention to stop it.   Just annoying that we've not had noticeable cat snatches in years, then all of a sudden several in a short time frame.  Sure we've had cats disappear, but they've been spaced so far apart it doesn't look like the snatcher is making camp in our yard somewhere.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
Hope you can entice those little ones to come inside for some good "smelly" food to contain them at night.  Coyote's are certainly clever, but praying they take the road AWAY from your farm and life can return to normal without the sadness.

;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
Sure, it could be a fox, as they'll snatch cats when opportunity arises, but young coyote seems more likely.  Just really bummed me out this time, probably because so many so quickly.
But, happy Linus came home, and hope he shows his face this morning.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
One wild kitten didn't show his face for breakfast, but he and his sister are so wild, I don't always see them (she was there and nervous, but I don't see her enough to know her "normal" nervous); and their mom moves them around on a regular basis; just hope she leaves them where they are, as the gelding barn hay slot should be fairly safe from most predators.
As far as I can tell, everyone else showed for breakfast; although, I didn't count heads.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
Even if I don't lose another cat, this has really bummed me out.  Just so shocking.  I've been here on the creek since we got married, 17 years ago, when we first got married we got 4 cats, and lost 3 within a year or two, then suddenly they started surviving and thriving, and we only had the occasional loss or total disappearance for like 15 years, now this year, 4-5 losses in only a couple weeks.  [While I may not know what killed them or what they died from, at least half the cats that died, I found the body somewhere in the yard or even the feed building. Only a handful in those 15 years just totally disappeared.]  I'm probably not making much sense, but this is bothering me more than usual.   [We live on a creek, we have livestock, I understand losses happen.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
We do have a game camera, something my BIL gave Shayne for Christmas a few years ago.  Need to try to get a micro SD card for it in town today, so we can maybe give it a try.   It has a light on it, so I don't know if it lights up to take pics or what, guess we'll give it a try and see what happens.  Probably just lots of pics of barn cats.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
Even if I don't lose another cat, this has really bummed me out.  Just so shocking.  I've been here on the creek since we got married, 17 years ago, when we first got married we got 4 cats, and lost 3 within a year or two, then suddenly they started surviving and thriving, and we only had the occasional loss or total disappearance for like 15 years, now this year, 4-5 losses in only a couple weeks.  [While I may not know what killed them or what they died from, at least half the cats that died, I found the body somewhere in the yard or even the feed building. Only a handful in those 15 years just totally disappeared.]  I'm probably not making much sense, but this is bothering me more than usual.   [We live on a creek, we have livestock, I understand losses happen.]

You have every right to feel a bit bummed, these cats are part of your family.  :(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »
A lot of pictures of barn cats are just fine -- just what you want!  You just don't want to see anything ELSE visiting in the dark!

;pray ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 09:43:03 PM »
Picked up the micro SD card in town for the camera, had the batteries; we were lucky to find one, as small town had limited choices.  I got it from the phone company, and when I called asking, they said they didn't have it; but after the other two possibilities in town came up empty, we drove to the phone company, and I could see the card hanging on the wall when I walked in the door, so I don't know how the employee missed it.
Not sure how low/high to hang the camera; high enough they can't pee on it, but low enough the sensor is tripped.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 12:27:47 AM »
Let us know how it works out.   ;pray ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »
Well, shit, Linus, the wayward kitty that showed up the other day, is now missing this morning. Hopefully, he just went back on walk about and didn't fall prey to our cat snatcher. 
I have not checked the camera to see if it captured any images, yet, as I'm still in the middle of chores; I have a routine, that includes a trip to the house mid chores to set Che`s food to soak and check e-mail, then back around to let everyone out of stalls and onto pasture if they go out.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
We'll just wait to hear once you can take a break!  No worries!

;pray ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 06:42:34 PM »
The camera took 135 pics between about 7PM last night and 9:30 this morning.   Several of us setting up the camera and figuring it out, a few of just "scenery", then some of the cats, but around pic 50, it was dark, and the pics fuzzy, but I'm sure it was raccoon butts that I saw.  I picked up two traps from my MIL, I'll try baiting with the dry cat food that the cats eat but aren't fond of, so hopefully, they won't be interested enough to investigate; and we'll see what happens tonight.  We have a trap somewhere, too, so I'll find that and get it set.   And, I'll turn the camera back on tonight.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
I haven't been out yet, this morning, but went out last night just after 10PM, and found one cat in a trap and three raccoons on the gelding shelter roof, so now I know I have at least 3 to catch.
Cross your fingers I caught a couple last night.
Chanda
HC Minis