Message Boards > General Discussion

Just a start, spring cleaning...

(1/9) > >>

Chanda:
I don't clean paddocks in the winter, just too cold, and they practically drop poopcycles; so I do major overhaul in the spring once it dries out and warms up.
I worked on the mare barn a week or so ago, and got a start; lots more to go.
Today, I started on the gelding shelters.  Got the worst one cleaned, so I moved almost 45 cubic feet of packed manure.  [cleaned an 8x8' stall and the 4x8' entrance area, it was 6" deep.]  Guess I did clean half of the other half of this shelter earlier this spring, but today was the start of the "deep" clean.
I'm not sure what is worse?   The smell of an old carcass, or the smell of fermenting manure and pee.   :P   It was pretty rotten in spots today, as this side of the shelter is where Spotty thinks he should pee.

Ryan:
I dont pick mine up either. I smudge it into the ground with an old gate and the mower when I know heavy rain is coming. ( my excuse is too lazy lol)

Chanda:

--- Quote from: Ryan on May 28, 2019, 12:14:29 AM ---I dont pick mine up either. I smudge it into the ground with an old gate and the mower when I know heavy rain is coming. ( my excuse is too lazy lol)

--- End quote ---

I mow my pasture areas, and drag them when I can (have an actual harrow, somewhere, it was in the bull pasture, but not sure where it is now); but I do have to clean the drylots, barns and shelters.  The large drylots get cleaned by tractor; the shelters, barns and small pens are cleaned by hand (well shovel and manure fork).

Ryan:
I do have a couple of small paddocks which I consider to be my dry lots. My two little mares spend quite a bit of time in there when the grass is too rich. I usually just rake into a big pile then pick up. The bigger paddocks im happy to smudge, not enough hours in the day to manually pick up each paddock !

Chanda:
To go along with spring cleaning...  We have reintroduce the horses to grass in process.  The geldings have been getting grass about a week or so, so they're up to an hour to hour and a half daily.  The mares group just got introduced today, I turned them all out together, Belle and Dolly included; the older girls readily came in and Bliss and Sophie followed, when I said "time to come in".  And, then, this evening, Belle and Dolly went back into their separate paddock nicely.   Che`, Baybe and Tilly started their introduction to grass as well.  This will be quite a process to get them all reintroduced to grass, but it'll mean I can cut back on their daily hay; they graze in the morning (all day for the geldings) and get some hay at night).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version