Author Topic: I swear...  (Read 754 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
I swear...
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:30 PM »
OMG!  My AQHA gelding is going to be the death of me, and it has nothing to do with riding. 
I have now experienced, although not seen all, 3x that he has injured the same lower leg.   Several years ago, I found him with a huge gash on his heel, assumed he stuck it through the fence (we have cows, so barbed-wire); then a few years after that the same leg with the scarred area gashed open again.  And, now this morning, he was standing with the same leg through the gate to their paddock, just a couple spots of blood, so no major damage; he would not pick up his leg to step back out, so had to drop the gate, and the mare promptly took off out the gate, he still wouldn't pick up his leg to step over the wire, I finally stepped on the wire, and pushed him back over it, closed the gate, got him interested in breakfast, and got the mare to return for breakfast.   I had to go to town today for appointments, so will get a closer look tomorrow at what he did to himself this time around.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

Re: I swear...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
There is always one that seems to love playing with fences . My older TB had obviously played with fencing before I got him. He had a large scar on his back leg. He managed to rip open the scar again after owning him a couple of years. The only thing I could find in the paddock was a tree branch that had fallen.

Just what you need Chanda as your about to head off to appointments. Hopefully its nothing to serious and your geldings ok :)

Have a great weekend !!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:24:38 AM »
Yes, there is always one!  I had an Arabian mare who thought it was her job to keep track of this one Angus cow and her calves.  Well, you know Angus can get through any fence, so momma and her little ones went through the fence.  The mare, Fahzanah, saw them leave, and took off running across the field to get to "her" cow, proceeded to try and jump the fence and wound up missing and completely cutting across her chest in gashes.  Dumb horse with a mission.  We brought the cow back and took care of her chest, and all was well. But there is no cure for "stupid" so this was only one of her escapades with that cow.  Had to ultimately get rid of the cow because we really liked the horse.  She never took over "babysitting" another cow, thank goodness.

Hope your horse is fine.  Sounds like you may need another board across the bottom of the gate.   :o
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »

Hope your horse is fine.  Sounds like you may need another board across the bottom of the gate.   :o
If only it were wood...
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Once I had to use 2 boards, one on each side of the metal uprights with bolts going through the boards to stop a few of the adventurous little ones going through the gate here, maybe that would work for keeping his feet where they belong.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
Once I had to use 2 boards, one on each side of the metal uprights with bolts going through the boards to stop a few of the adventurous little ones going through the gate here, maybe that would work for keeping his feet where they belong.

It's a wire gate, as the area gets snowed under in winter, a lot; much easier to dig out a wire gate.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 04:19:34 PM »
Trimmed the saddle horses' hooves Saturday, can't even find any new scratches where Rebel stuck his leg through the fence, so must have just barely made small punctures to cause a little bleeding at the time.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:05:46 AM »
Glad he is ok :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:42:29 AM »
That's good news.  I'm so glad he isn't seriously hurt.