Author Topic: When do you  (Read 952 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
When do you
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Start to lunge your minis? My roundpen is out of action due to a roof collapse so i really need to exercise otherways but M is only 3, Lou only 2. Lou is somewhat naturally muscled as he colts about but meadow could use some muscles but im scared to lunge her then end up with a ruined horse from too much too young!

p.s. first show of the year (M & Lou are now in the same class) Lou took 1st with me and M took 2nd with my first time ever showing friend. I'm super proud of them both, but can't help but feel conflicted cause i kind of wanted M to get a 1st, but i also want to be 1st with lou hahaha i needed a joint 1st!!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: When do you
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:58:10 AM »
Congratulations on your wins!!!  That's fabulous news.  Any pictures of them showing?

As to lunging, I'm not the one to ask as I never did it.  So hopefully someone competent in the subject will respond.  :)
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:36 AM »
I've done some lunging, but not a lot of it.   I know you shouldn't as a yearling; but want to say the 3 year old should be just fine, and I'd say go easy with the 2 year old.  And, don't go with too small of a circle, as big as you can go and still be in control.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50:57 PM »
I would wait until 3yo , Im fairly sure I was told this as a kid. And Chanda is right , dont make the circles too small.

P.S BIG Congrats on your show results :)

PSS you have a roof on your round yard? - Very jealous :)

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
Its currently got 3/4 of a roof the rest is still collapsing and the roofer is too busy to get out to it lol the surface is all ruined which is a bummer. I have scraped it all out so its basically down to concrete so can't be used :(

The weather here has been shocking SO much rain. So the field is out too. So no lunging has happened yet lol

Show on saturday and tbh i havent even clipped either of them because its too cold and miserable. It is gonna be a shit show.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Good Luck on the weekend Hayley :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:49:44 AM »
Good luck at the show!!

I understand about the rain...it rains every day here now with summer being our rainy season.  Lawns look great, but still a bummer.  I love the rain at night, but could easily give up on it during the day.

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Anna

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
I understand your feelings about the weather Hayley, June has been a total washout for us across the Irish Sea too. Re the lunging - we had an open outdoor area (grass) measuring 20 metres diameter and fenced so we could also loose lunge. Used to loose lunge the 'long' 2 year olds (late Autumn of their 2nd year) but only for short stints. Used to put the odd pole on the ground for them to trot over for something different to do. Lunged 3 year olds - always full length of the lunge line - still for short stints (5 mins each side), plus a bit of pole work. But usually it was just to teach them commands and how to stand for the show ring etc. But most of their exercise was taken either playing out in the fields with their friends or going 'walkies' with us and the dogs round the forestry here.
Congratulations on your success at the last show - how did you get on this weekend?

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 06:09:22 PM »
Show was a disaster and not because of the horses. My class was not starting until 2PM and as its only a 5min drive i was going to leave at about 1PM. I got word at 10AM people were having to be towed into the grounds due to the mud. I drove up at 11AM to ask the gate man what it was like to get into my section and he said it was OK at the moment so i went home and got the box on and got to the grounds to get stuck in a traffic line because everyone was stuck in the mud!!! Noone was able to turn around so it was go forward or nothing. I finally got in but had to use some mad skills and 4x4 drive to gun it and skid across a field (and JUST managed to stop before hitting someones car)

I got Lou out cause he was the only one with a waterproof on and we had to navigate through two mud pits and just about made it to the rings...Judge refused to come out in the torrent so we waited for a half hour and everyone was pretty peeved, i have never seen so many bucks, rears and general bad behaviour (from others not lou he just stood looking miserable) we did one class (placed last cause ill admit he was not going well and standing horrifically squinty) and i thought to hell with this so i loaded him up again and called a tractor to pull me out of the grounds. I didn't even take Meadow off the box. I lost three classes entry money >:(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »
Under those conditions, they should refund your money or reschedule the show.  Sounds like the only fair thing.

So sorry you had such a rough time!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
Under those conditions, they should refund your money or reschedule the show.  Sounds like the only fair thing.

So sorry you had such a rough time!
I agree with Diane.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Anna

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
So sorry that it was such a disaster Haley - agree with the others, entry money should be returned under those circumstances.