Author Topic: So, who's over winter and ready for spring?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
So, who's over winter and ready for spring?
« on: February 09, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »
Just under 6 weeks til the official first day of Spring.
So, when does spring actually start for you?  When can you expect nice temps to be here to stay til fall?
While it starts to warm up and get pretty nice sometime usually in April, we don't officially call spring til around Mother's Day, that when you can typically transplant flowers into the outside beds and pots with little risk of overnight freezing.  Although, this is Montana, so it can conceivably snow any month of the year.

And, for you Ryan, since you are Down Under...   Are you prepared for fall and winter to come?   Got your hay lined up?   Etc, etc.   And, how was your summer season?  Any good gardening?  How about time to ride?

We just put in a new furnace yesterday, the old one was on it's last leg, but it gave it's all in it's 36 years of service (we did put in a "new" blower 6-8 years ago).   Glad we put in those new windows when we did, meant the house stayed decently warm while the furnace was working hard to put out very little heat.   I got the window trim stained and poly urethaned; the window blinds back up; and the paint touched up around the windows. [Well, technically, I have one more to go, I still need to put up the blinds and touch up the paint in my fabric room slash spare bedroom slash catch all, cause we don't have a basement room.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: So, who's over winter and ready for spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
Well, I should say I'm ready, but if it's half as hot as the cold weather has been (which I enjoy here), then it will be too hot for me!  Of course, hurricane season and our rainy season will start once summer arrives, and hoping not to see another hurricane for years -- hoping hard!   ;pray

Weather has been delightful -- a couple of week in the 40's so nice and cool at night -- but I'm ready for summer vacation with all my kids and grandkids.  Can't come fast enough for me!

So glad you have that new furnace and windows.  It seems I saw the cold was heading back your way this week?? Stay warm -- and can't wait for those new calves this spring!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:19:19 PM »
Spring is almost here for us. Temps have been going up, just had a short cold snap, and it's about over.
March is pretty rainy here, and it's been already.
I am ready for warmer temps, for sure.
All our horses are shedding like crazy, which is a good sign.

I hope to get our garden tilled and get planted come march.
This year were going to do more cantaloupes and the other veggies we usually do.

Hopefully this year brings mild weather with no hurricanes, or floods!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:27:25 PM »
You all must be stoked some warmer weathers on the way. Its been a really hot summer here , the hottest we have had on record. We were lucky with fires this year , so truly grateful ;pray

Had I have seen this last week id probably answered NO to most of the questions. Today (I just had to quickly go home and unload 110 bales of hay off the truck in preparation for winter. Ive packed half of them away the rest await for when I get home form work. I was late again in getting veggies planted. Being fast growing , I just stuck to cucumbers and zucchinis. For some reason they grow very well here.

I got back on the horse last week so I've ridden twice since a long lay off. Only 10 mins a few times a week, but nothings better from the view up on a horse. Between us friends , I was a little emotional, but not ashamed to say it. I am just taking it slow and will do so for some time yet. I did plenty of ground driving before getting on and I have to say it helped so much. I now have a TB that likes to work on the bit instead of trying to eat clouds. Ill post some Pictures, he looked really well and was such a good boy considering he is a TB and had not been ridden in nearly 18 months.

Glad you got the new furnace and I hope you get the same 36 years out of this one :)

Holly your veggie garden is sounding like its going to be a ripper.  :)

Diane hope you have a wonderful vacation with the family , I can see you now, cooking up a storm for the family :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »
So glad you're able to do some riding again.  I know how much you enjoy getting back on -- even for a few minutes, and looking forward to a few pictures.  Emotional is just fine, we understand. 

We just love hearing from you, I always smile when reading your posts.  They are really special.  Glad your hay has arrived. Work slow and carefully, we want you able to do more riding!

;D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
Some pics of me riding the other day. :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:57:18 PM »
Fabulous pictures!  What a beautiful horse!  (And you, too   ;D)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »
Why thankyou :)

Having so much time off helped him transition from racehorse to pleasure pony !

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »
Made it to town today for parts, groceries and feed.  It's started snowing and blowing while we were in town, so our driveway was getting drifted in again.   Had to go, those parts are for the snow blower.   I'm mostly good for feed for the next month, except for the saddle horses that get a special order feed, that will hopefully be able to arrive next week (place delivers monthly), hope the roads are decent.  [Or, hope the temps are decent so I can walk my butt out to the mailbox (1/2 mile) with the sled and meet the driver.   :o  Wouldn't be the first time, nor probably the last; although, it would be the first hike this winter.] 
I'll say it again...  I'm so OVER winter.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »
We feel your pain, and are praying for a swift end to winter for you.   ;pray

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »
Love the pictures Ryan., I agree, love being on horseback.
Were waiting another cold snap this weekend, more rain.🤨
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »
Thanks Holly :)

You are more than welcome to start sending that rain here !!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
I have a project planned for warm weather, I'm going to build one of the pallet, panel and tarp shelters for hay storage, so I can have back the barn stall for a horse, poor Sophia has been stuck outside for hard feeds, as the 4th stall is storing hay.
If you don't know what they look like, check out this link:  http://www.ourfathersgift.com/2018/01/movable-cattle-panel-shelter/
And, it's going to be located between my mare barn and feed building.  I only have a snowy picture of the location (old picture, but it looks about like that now too).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
Sounds like a nice plan.  Poor Sophia!  But I'm sure she's fine!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 09:07:02 AM »
Sounds like a nice plan.  Poor Sophia!  But I'm sure she's fine!
They're only in for hard feeds, anyway, but it would be nice if all stalls were available.
Chanda
HC Minis