Author Topic: Another one!  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Another one!
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:48:15 AM »
Yesterday was a very exciting day for me! I finally saved my pennies and bought my very own riding horse!

Meet Riverdowns Hezagem T'nite AKA Spider, he is a 12 year old, 15hh, registered leopard Appaloosa gelding. He is such a smoochy gentleman and is so placid. We travelled 3.5 hours to pick him up, he hadn't been ridden in 12 months and I rode him for about 40 minutes when viewing and he didn't put a foot out of line, he has mainly been used for trail riding which is ideal for me, as my friend Tenae wants a trail riding buddy, once I've got more balance and confidence we will go on trails together.
He has been taken on many trails, through rivers, forests, through town and to the beach with an older man who had had no prior riding experience. So I think he will be perfect for me  :D

At the moment I'm too broke to buy any tack lol ::) I paid $3500 for him and there was 3 other very keen buyers behind me. His advertisement had only been up for 2 hours when I inquired and I bought him the next day, I'm lucky I inquired when I did or I would have missed out.

I'm super excited for our adventures together! (after I learn to stay on haha)
And of course, Pictures!!
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Another one!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
SPOTS!!!!!!  YEAH!

CONGRATULATIONS!  How wonderful for you, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
Congratulations Carly , lovely boy !!

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
Thank you both!  ;D

The lady I bought him off of said he's a real conversation starter on trails and he is a head turner with his spots!  :D

I am giving him a while until I start riding him as I rode him around the day after and when we stopped I could feel his muscles shaking/trembling. I'm assuming it was from the drive home and his muscles are a bit fatigued (not sure if you would call it that).

It ended up being a 4 hour drive and and it was mostly steep hills and windy roads and steep windy hilly roads so it may have been a bit hard on his muscles, especially since he has been out of work for a while.
I'm hoping that's all it is and he only needs some rest days, I take him out and hand walk him every day just to keep his muscles moving. It wouldn't hurt not riding him for a bit, just so we can get to know each other a bit better  :)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
Congratulations on your new spotty friend, Carly Rae!!  He  does look like quite the fine fellow.  That smile on your face in the night shot says it all!!

As to the trembling...since you are just coming out of winter there, and it was a 4 hour trip home....is it possible he's cold?  He looks to have a very fine coat.  Is the climate enough different that he might need a rug?

Also, has he lost his left eye?  Or are my eyes that just out of focus?

I'd ask more questions, but I've been off the boards a long time and need to update a few things.  Again,
enjoy your spots!!
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
 Thank you!  ;D

I don't think he was cold as we were having very hot and humid days (leading up to storms).
I took him out for a ride the other day, I rode him for about 20 mins, mostly just plodding but we did do some trotting too and he wasn't trembling at all. So maybe he just needed some rest?

I've bought a bareback saddle pad online, I'm quite confident just to jump on him and go, however my balance is pretty bad since I haven't ridden much since 2011. So I'd like to ride bareback to get my balance. I really enjoy riding bareback but since he has loose hair from winter makes my clothes filthy and my legs so itchy so the saddle pad will help and make it comfier for him too  ;D

Also he has 2 eyes  :) He just closes his eyes in photos a lot haha

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
I would Definitely say the trembling was to do with the float trip. Glad your enjoying him, he sounds like he is going to be perfect for you ....

Bareback riding is perfect to help work on your balance, it will help with your core muscles and also strength in your legs.

Cant wait to hear about the adventures you both have together ( pics a must of course) :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 03:31:30 AM »
We have been on a few rides together, I am so glad I bought Spider, he is an absolute gem!!

We went for a ride last Wednesday with my best friend Tenae and her one eyed horse Hot Shot (he used to be my horse) We went to Redwood Park it was a grade 3 difficulty, It was about 4.5km long and it was really fun for my first trail. Spider didn't put a foot out of line the entire trail.
I gave him 2 days rest and then I rode him 3km up my street. The next day I just rode around our house yard as I wanted to try trotting but I was nervous cause my balance was terrible so I would only trot him toward a fence haha. On my third day I was trotting all around the paddock pretty confidently. Its amazing what a bit of practice will do!

Yesterday we went to the Jubilee park which was a grade 4 (advanced) trail as it was quite hilly. We went 6.5km, and we found this huge grass field and we went trotting all around in there which was super fun! I'm glad I got over my little fear of trotting, now I just need to get used to cantering, I haven't cantered since I was 8 haha!

Spider did go into a canter when we were trotting around the field, I was alright for a bit, but then I started to lose balance and he instantly slowed back down so I didn't fall  :) It's definitely my next goal to canter!

ALSO!! I achieved another goal today! I bought my first horse float!
Well I have owned horse floats, but they were projects that never really got finished haha!
But today I bought myself a 2010 PBL double horse float! I'm pretty proud, first I got my horse, now my float! No more borrowing Tenae's float!  ;D

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 03:35:52 AM »
Oh and of course photos!!

This was at Redwood park

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 03:41:40 AM »
And this was yesterday at Jubilee park  :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 03:42:50 AM »
Aaaand my float  ;D

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »
Congratulations on all your adventures and accomplishments!  And your new purchase!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 05:55:50 PM »
 Great photos Carly ! Congrats on getting the float, looks like your putting all your hard earned cash into something worth wise.

This horse you have managed to buy , he sounds like you guys were destined to meet. LOve the part where you say , he slowed down in the canter, as you were starting to loose your balance.

If you set up some witches hats in the paddock , try taking him around them in different ways and directions. Try some in the walk, then some in a trot. This will help your balance :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 01:28:29 AM »
Thank you!  ;D
Spider and I were destined to meet I swear haha! I have had my work friend come out to help me with some balance exercises on Spider on a lunge line. I was very sore after haha. We haven't gone out on many trails as Tenae's horse Hot Shot got tangled in a fence and cut his leg open so he isn't able to be ridden for a few months. So she is using his time off to start her pony Ted that she rescued from the doggers, so I have been driving Spider out to her place to go for rides so Ted can get some miles on him.
I LOVE having my float, I can just load Spider up and go where ever I want with him without having to rely on or bother anyone  ;D
I also bought him a pair of Scoot Boots!

And of course some photos! He truly is a special boy, I can't even explain how much I love him haha!

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 01:34:23 AM »
Its a bit late but I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas!!  ;D

We had a very quiet one here, but still really nice. On Christmas Eve I went light looking with Spider  :D It was super fun, Spider was very intrigued by all the lights and he loved all his pats from the kids walking past, he never batted an eye the entire time  ;D