Author Topic: WELCOME TO OUR NEW MARE-TERNITY WARD !!! (MARE & FOALING FORUM)  (Read 11075 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: WELCOME TO OUR NEW MARE-TERNITY WARD !!! (MARE & FOALING FORUM)
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »
 :)
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Johannas

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »
Hello Diane.
   I'm exploring and love it! Thank you so much for inviting me. And, thank you for everything else!
I'm still in the midst,  but will keep you informed. Ain't countin the chickens if you get my drift. Hahaha
Oh, I do have a question. If a mare delivers two still-born foals within 3 1/2 years, would you breed her again, or retire her?
Thank you again for your kindness and willingness to help with my journey. 🐎🐎

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
If this is from the breeder we have been talking about, I would dare say I would actually try it again, as with the care you would give, and with our friends here, I'm sure she can delivery a healthy little one.  That person is more a breeder who just lets things go by, as she is all about LOUD quantity, not necessarily the most caring person who would watch and make sure the mare got everything she needed during pregnancy.  We have a pretty good record here, and if its the mare we've spoken about, I know her breeder, and she should have no trouble.  She's already produced 2 fine offspring before going to this farm.

;D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Johannas

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »
Sorry just saw this! Yes, its the same... the mare is pregnant right now! Last two were stillborn.  She wants 1000 for her. But, I really wasnt considering breeding or having a baby so soon. Whats your opinion? Kind of apprehensive--

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »
First, I know of few people that would ever say a foal is stillborn.  They can have, say, a twisted cord and die in utero, and then be delivered dead, but I don't know of any that were just born as a stillborn foal except in Rh factors.

I have heard, but not experienced, the death of foals sometimes with repeated breedings to a particular stallion, when there is a Rh factor blood type incompatibility.  Just like in humans that have a negative blood type, carrying a positive blood type baby.  My daughter, for example, is A- blood type, so she receives a shot for Rh incompatibility.  If she is bred to the same stallion, in that case, and offspring could be a stillborn, and die in utero.

I could be wrong, and ask others to correct me.  She may have also had a difficult delivery, with no attendance at birth, and the baby be found dead and the owner call it a stillborn.  However, this breeder is showing a horse as "sold" that I know the horse actually died.  But apparently rather than admit it, she marked the horse sold -- as a friend had an interest in it, and was told the horse died. So, with this breeder, it's a bit confusing when talking truth.

But as I say, I know this mares breeder, and she breeds quality, not quantity, so, I'd probably still take a chance. 

But perhaps our friends here could render an opinion.  If she's pregnant for a spring foal, traveling would be safe at this point for her.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
I think Id take a chance too. I agree that there could be many reasons why the previous foals died. As Diane mentioned, many die due to no attendance at birth by their owners and more often than not their little mares have needed assistance.

To be really honest , it sounds like the current owner is a bit blase from reading below. The fact that Diane knows the mares breeder and knows her to breed quality over quantity, Id say go for it.

You will have plenty of help here , we will all join together to offer advice and support to help you give this foal the safest of arrivals, If you choose to take this mare on board.

The fact that she has had two quality foals , gives me the opinion she is looking looking for a scenery change :)

Ryan

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
Thanks Ryan.  I couldn't say it any better.   :D :D

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 06:15:59 AM »
I would agree. Quality environment, feed and husbandry can make a huge difference as well as attending the birth.
 I would bring her home, have her BSE and or flushed. Maybe a round of SMZ as a preventative.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Johannas

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 12:16:17 AM »
Thank you guys so much for your advice! I really like the little mare and emailed the breeder today to ask if the price she was quoted was negotiable. When she emailed me back she had upped the price by $200.00 then said she'd give me a break for buying two, and quoted me the original price again. Im waiting for the transport company to give me a price on two....
Also, I asked if she was a pocket, but she said, no, but possibly could be. If a mare is just used for breeding does that mean she's just a baby mill and isnt socialized? At 15 could that be an issue?? I dont want to breed for sale, I just want to love and spoil....

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 12:49:42 AM »
I bought a 12 year old mare this fall that I was told was hard to catch, but ok once caught, and that is exactly how she acted when I went to look at her.   I bought her anyway, largely because she is half-sister to a mare I lost last year.   She hasn't been that hard to catch since I brought her home, only taking a few steps away before being caught, I've dewormed without haltering, she lets me pet her, and it should only get better with time, especially come spring and nicer weather.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 11:17:47 PM »
It's amazing what some personal attention can do with a horse.  Remember, she's just one of many where she is now, and really doesn't get much personal attention.  I would expect with good love and care, and a few treats, she'll be in your pocket.  Her breeder is a very caring person and always gave her horses great personal attention.  I would expect, she just needs to feel that security again to become the loving horse I'm sure she once was.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
If she is with that many other horses , I reckon she will be glad to get out of that place. Not saying anything bad towards Large breeders, as most do amazing jobs. Some large breeders  on the other hand get way in over their heads and before you know it, care and individual attention has gone right out the window.

Hope you decide to give her a home. :)

Offline Johannas

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
Thank you all. Im trying to work it out. Hopefully both mini's will be Florida bound around Christmas. If the mare works out Im certainly going to need advice. It would just be devastating to lose her little foal. I was told that she's only had two foals with this breeder, one living one stillborn. But, this is a different sire. He's a tiny, few spot and just adorable.  Crossing my fingers...

HAPPY, HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!
                                           MAY YOU DAY BE FILLED WITH FAMILY AND WISHBONES! 🦃🦃🦃🦃

Offline Ryan

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »
cant wait to see Pictures when they arrive :)

Happy thanksgiving to you from Australia :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »
We're here to help you when this mare comes home to Florida.  We'll work to get any baby safely on the ground, and you'll find nothing but friends here with great advice!  So excited for you!