Author Topic: Small but mighty...  (Read 829 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Small but mighty...
« on: August 29, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
This was sent to a friend last night, so copy/pasting with a few adjustments for my post:
Just had a near come to Jesus moment with Spotty (2 year old, miniature gelding to mature tall B), and his reaction
 just proves that even horses that have never been abused can go ballastic over a situation.    Spotty went totally
bonkers over having his bridle path clipped, and with scissors no less (so no noise or vibrations to freak over,
just freaking over being close to ears).
 He's never liked it, nor does his dam or his brother; and I know he and his brother have never been abused,
and can say with 99% certainly their dam hasn't either (I got her as a weanling).  Today was hoof trimming day for the
 geldings, and I try to trim bridle paths on the same day, usually just with scissors, as I don't have power at the
 gelding barn.   Spotty was ok for his hoof trim, but come time to trim his bridle path and he wasn't going to have it,
he reared,  jumped around, acted like a fool; including jumping on the back of my ankle during one of his rearing,
jumping fits.   I have a nice bruise and scrape back there now.
And, I didn't notice until last night the huge bruise on the back of my other leg, where Spotty stomped on that side too;
  I had been favoring the ankle he stepped on which scrapped skin and caused a small bruise; but the back of my left
leg has a 5" long bruise about 2" wide running vertically.  Ouch, especially now that I've noticed it.
  I hate to post my snow white legs, but I always wear jeans, so they don't see the light of day.  Good thing that was
the case yesterday or there might have been more than a bruise.
  And, a secondary point being, even "small" equines can hurt us, so wear proper shoes and attire when working around
them.  If i hadn't been wearing jeans, this could have been so much worse.   [And, I know some of this is my fault,
as I haven't worked with them as much as I should; but my other mare and her two foals, are so ho hum about bridle
paths, and have had the same amount of work.]
I'm fine, and Spotty is fine, but before we were done, he stood still while I touched and trimmed his bridle path, and he didn't die when I touched his ears.
[I posted this to the FB mini group to help remind people that even though they are small they are mighty.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

Re: Small but mighty...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
Ouch Chanda, Im glad you are ok. Think your lucky you had jeans on. That is going to be quite a bruise as it comes to the surface over the next few days.

Your point on "small equines can hurt" Is "spot" on (pardon the pun)

I had some friends come visit last weekend and the kids wanted to see the minis. No matter how many times you tell them to be careful as they are not toys, Kids just dont listen. Because they are small in stature , makes them appealing to kids.  Wasnt very appealing when one coped a kick to the backside for slapping him on the rump :(

Hope your ankles ok :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
A bit sore, but otherwise fine.   It's showing a bit more color now.  And, my ankle which hurt so much yesterday, is hardly noticeable as a scrape and small bruise.  The big bruise is what's aching a bit.
The comments on the FB group have been interesting, and many did not get the point of the post...   A big reaction to a stimulus does not mean the horse was previously abused; and even though they are small they can still hurt you.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:35:38 AM »
What you say is sooooo true!  They can certainly hurt us -- they are still horses, and people think their size makes them cuddle toys.  So wrong.

Sorry you got hurt, but appreciate you sharing so people always think twice when working with them.

I, for one, learned a few of those lessons the hard way, but I deserved it, as I worked my horses in shorts and flip flops most days -- unless I had a training plan in mind that I knew wasn't going to be liked. 

Hope you heal quickly!!   ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »
I saw on facebook!! Yee-ouch! Hope you heal up quickly!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
I saw on facebook!! Yee-ouch! Hope you heal up quickly!!

Thank you. 
A bit sore today, but it'll feel better soon enough. Especially if I keep doing little to nothing.  :o
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »
What you say is sooooo true!  They can certainly hurt us -- they are still horses, and people think their size makes them cuddle toys.  So wrong.

Sorry you got hurt, but appreciate you sharing so people always think twice when working with them.

I, for one, learned a few of those lessons the hard way, but I deserved it, as I worked my horses in shorts and flip flops most days -- unless I had a training plan in mind that I knew wasn't going to be liked. 

Hopey ou heal quickly!!   ;pray
One gal said her husband has been after her to wear "real shoes" and pants around the horses, so she quit wearing flip flops, but still wearing shorts, but my picture has inspired her to wear pants instead of shorts around the horses.   I can only imagine the damage had I been wearing shorts; those freshly trimmed hooves could have taken a layer of skin if it weren't for the jeans protecting my legs.
And, thank you.  A little ouchy today, but getting better, especially since I'm purposely doing next to nothing.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
Glad your feeling better :)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
The little ones are the devils! Ive always been okay with my "own" ones but you may have notced ive been a bit quiet this showing season

My first show i was about to walk in the ring and some tit with a stallion they have no business having let him get FAR too close to me and meadow (my tiny little baby girl, still only about 31" at 2yo) and thank the lord i was in between and when he double kicked out he hit me not her but he did catch her. She needed immediate vet attention at the show,  two physio sessions and pain killers for a while. I couldnt walk for a good few days, got a heamatoma on my leg and still have a shadow on it 3 months later. We just were not into showing after that. Ive not been into it this year at all. Didn't even get an apology from the owner.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
OMG !!! Ouch , that looks painful.

Seriously some people are born without manners , Takes nothing to apologize !!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
Oh my!  So right Ryan.  I can't believe a person not caring enough to apologize and try to ensure you were both okay.

So glad your baby girl made it through, too.  Those kicks can be deadly!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
Clipped his bridle path with the clippers and no halter today.  He wasn't thrilled, but he stood in the shelter, and more or less, let me clip his bridle path.   I had to halter Manny and Monte.   I clipped most of the girls, and only Baybe needed a halter; didn't try Bliss or Sophie, as I was just out in the pasture with the cordless clippers.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
Good boy spotty :)