Author Topic: Wild Goose Chase...  (Read 594 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Wild Goose Chase...
« on: August 05, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »
Well, instead of trimming a couple horses this morning, I ended up chasing the boys around after a mishap with their panels.   I had already turned Sophia and Belle out into the mare pasture area (which has little grass left), I turned the boys out and was trying to swap a couple panels, so I could extend the mares' area, when the boys pushed through the panels that weren't yet connected.   I got Sophia and Belle back into their pen fairly quick, but not before all 4 boys ran into her pen and made a circle, and they went right out again, Sophia wasn't bothered by all 4 boys in her paddock as she is with Bliss just looking her way.   :o ::)   So, I spent probably 15-20 minutes chasing the boys around, trying to get them to go back in their paddock, but when you are on foot and it's a big area, they will win everytime.   So much for trimming anyone, as by the time I got the boys in, I was too pooped to pop and my throat was sore from yelling at the boys.   Anyway, everyone is in their appropriate turn-out space; trying Tana and Bonny with Sophia and Belle today; leaving Misty and Dolly with Bliss.  Perhaps later this afternoon, I'll feel like trimming, but we'll see how I feel after working on the computer a little bit and doing dishes.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Wild Goose Chase...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:01:01 AM »
Goodness !!  Glad everyone got back where they belonged.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
Last night, I fed about dark, and Sophia did NOT want to come in off the big pasture;  Bonny and Tana were waiting to come eat, Belle came in first, so I shut her in the shelter as bait (that won't work much longer).   The three girls in the little pasture were out, their panels had fallen over; they stepped through to get out no problem, not so easy coming back in; but they are very food motivated, so not too hard to entice them.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
Sounds like quite the adventure :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:01:25 PM »
Almost nothing strikes the heart of an owner like loose horses!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »
Almost nothing strikes the heart of an owner like loose horses!
It would be more frightening if I didn't live in the sticks surrounded by pasture and farmland, out here they just get out of their pasture, but not off our property.  Mostly, it's a complete pain in my rear, cause they think it's a game.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
I remember a time when I was a child and we lived on a 100 acre farm.  I had an Arabian mare, Fazanah, who just didn't like being in pasture.  She was in pasture with our herd of Black Angus cows, who she considered friends of hers.  She used to jump over the fence, turn and encourage the cows to push through the fence -- can't always stop an angus with a mind set on escaping -- then lead them off the 100 acres. We'd have to call my dad who came home from IBM in his 3-piece suit, donned a cowboy hat and took off after them on horseback.  It was always fun to watch and we sure laughed at him!

Thinking back I'm sure it was a pain in the rear, but as kids, we just thought it funny!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »
Great story, Diane, I bet as kids you did think it was funny, bet dad didn't.   ;)
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
And I bet that mare knew exactly what she was doing :)