Author Topic: Ugh.....  (Read 416 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Ugh.....
« on: July 02, 2018, 08:20:56 PM »
So normally ireland is very rainy in summer and we have an abundance of grass/hay. This year we have had literally no rain, and an ongoing heatwave.

My hay supplier is 800 bales short, cause the grass is just NOT growing. My field is short and crisp..not even a weed. Great for the weight loss ones, but for louie and meadow its not great. Im out of hay now, and cant find any :(

Heatwave is to continue for another month...we are already on a hosepipe ban and the roads/trains are all disrupted due to them collapsing..my car tyers are melted...the whole country is fucked. This is IRELAND come on!!!!!!!!!!!

Please pray for rain  ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Ugh.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »
I know your pain, we had a severe drought last year.   So, now this year, we've completely run out of what hay we did put up, and, I've been buying some commercial compressed hay bales to get to the new hay crop (beautiful rain this year, so crops are looking good, just not cutting quite yet); the compressed bales are 4x more expensive than regular baled hay.   I've fed far more commercial feed this past winter and into this spring to have decent nutrition and enough feed for them all.
Do you have access to commercial feeds that you can give the horses?   Meadow and Louie would probably do fine on a commercial feed of some sort, I just don't know what you have in Ireland.   I've come across a few UK feed company websites on the various groups I'm on on-line; if you tell me what companies you have access to, I'm sure we can come up with an acceptable and hopefully affordable feed plan.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

Re: Ugh.....
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:05:03 AM »
Welcome to every summer in Australia !!

We have been in a drought for years , Our hay prices should be against the law.

Whats the temp ?

Hope you get some rain soon :)