Author Topic: Ulcers?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Ulcers?
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:44 PM »
Ok so ive always said Meadow is a grump for shows, but shes a grump at home too but only really when going into trot. Shes always had food, i doubt much stress. But she throws this grumpy face and swings her head back toward her right side when asked to trot freely. On a halter she just throws a grumpy face. Bar that, there are no other symptoms really...she can tail swish if you scratch her about her boobies but shes kind of stopped that now with lots of it being done.

Anyway, i put her on a supplement for it and she was doing okay maybe a little better...missed a day and she was back being bad. Dunno if it related or not, cause i have missed before and had no reaction. The other day i had a physio out who said she had no pain anywhere...prob just a young mare with attitude - like if it was a colt you would NOT be worried ya know? Louie does a lot of the same things, but when asked to trot he goes for it with all his attitude focused to that. 

So its between hormones and ulcers - my next step is to get a hormone supplement..but i dont really know enought about ulcers in 2yo minis to totally rule that out.

Vet scoping is possible, but the treatment they give after is usually VERY expensive and you can buy cheaper alternatives to try before it and if you see an improvement you keep at it...but idk. Im just getting myself so wound up about it.

There is just a gut feeling.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Ulcers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
Simple, silly things can set off ulcers in a sensitive horse.  She's a young mare, so even her cycle, if particularly bothersome, could set off ulcers.  Ulcers meds are not horribly expensive for a mini, especially if you can get a cheaper alternative to the vet prescribed.    A bit of Lucerne (alfalfa) in the diet can help soothe the tummy, the high calcium can help prevent ulcers.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
Not sure its really available here without it being in a "feed" or a chaff, but i will look around. Its hard to tell if she has seasons/normal seasons cause she doesn't display anything and the older mares know Louie is not "up to" being a stallion yet so they don't display to him either. Hes so calm and sweet with them, i don't think he knows he is allowed to be a man. When he was at my friends livery for a week she said he was calling a lot desite being able to see her other horses - so i suggested moving her mare/gelding to the paddock right beside cause he likes a bit of mothering and she said he was full on bell end colt mode (but shes prone to exaggerating) he literally never even sniggered at my lot, and when he came home after not seeing them for a week he again just walked out, look around then went away again haha. Maybe all my horses are broken.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
You might not notice her cycle and they could still be bothersome to her.
When I worked for an Arabian breeder in college, one young mare, I think 2 year old, but it's been some time, came into heat during a show, it hit her so hard and fast she literally locked up in her class and wouldn't move.  It took a lot to convince her to leave the ring. That was the end of her show day.   Others are much more subtle, but no one realized this filly was coming into season, until she locked up in class.  [It's been a long time, this is all the details I remember.  I just vividly remember them saying it was her cycle that caused the problems.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »
It could be, very much so. I watched a video from winter and shes not doing this head swing thing, and i only really notice it during show season cause thats when im trying to show her and shes not liking it.

Ive got recommendation for a herbal thing to give her which i will try...i dont think im showing again this year cause of a boob i made with dates/work but if the treatment works maybe next year will be her year. Every judge has said shes really well put together but her expression is a little off..she doesnt show to her best. She looks even better this year than last but that attitude really effects her.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
Cycles really can bother some mares and the can often be the silent ones for some reason. I remember my vet saying this as I had her come out to see if one of my mares was actually cycling.

We ended up giving her a shot to bring her into season.

Try adding some apple cider Vinegar to her drinking water , it will increase the good bacteria in her stomach.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »
Adding the alfalfa will certainly help.  And personally I always used an over the counter treatment antacid liquid treatment for the horses.  Dosed with their meals and once before bedtime, just squirt in their mouth and go.

The key is to NOT stop too soon.  You continue to treat even after the symptoms are gone to make sure nothing lingers.

Praying for a speedy and healthy outcome for her and you!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'