Author Topic: Good News!  (Read 783 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Good News!
« on: May 13, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
I have some good news to share!

Last week I got a job- FINALLY! I'm a stablehand at a place called Hatch Racing. I did a trial last Monday and got the job. I have been working every day since last Wednesday. I have Sundays off which means I can keep volunteering at RSPCA thankfully!  :) I'm really liking it, although the blisters are horrible, my muscles are killing me and I'm still getting used to the 3am starts but its probably good for me getting the exercise. I'm also getting used to handling huge race horses rather than little minis haha.

I get a decent amount of hours and a pretty good pay, so my minis are gonna love all their new fancy things cause I wont be able to control myself!  ;D Feels good to be an 'adult' lol. My parents are thrilled although they are 5000 km away from me on a holiday for 6 weeks in Western Australia. I am really happy that I get to work with horses rather than retail or something because I work much better with animals than I do people haha  :)

Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Good News!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »
Congrats!
Working for a racing stable is hard work.  ANd, yes, the early hours are a killer.   
Try to save a little bit of money for a rainy day.  ;)
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:45:05 PM »
Congratulations, and Chanda has given you some GREAT advice!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:53:38 AM »
Congratulations Carly !!!

I worked in racing stables for many years and still involved with racing . I feel your pain , early mornings are not easy but you will get used to them . The hours off between mornings and afternoons will give you some good time with your horses .

It will be really good for your confidence and learning tricks and ways to calm the biggies especially the hot headed ones .

I'll always remember a funny story from years ago , prob around your age . I had been out the night before to a party and had a few too many red wines . I got to work feeling quite unwell and the kids we employed to clean the boxes had called in sick . So I had to suck it up and do it. Between the vomitting and filling up my water bottle it took me nearly all day 😂😂

Have fun , it's hard work and whilst the racing industry takes a beating and can be called lots of things here , you will realise how well these horses are taken care of .

And my last bit of advice , go and buy some decent boots , really comfortable ones and don't forget to claim them at tax time 😊😊

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:08:38 AM »
Thanks!!  ;D
I worked 40 hours last week and payday was today! I'm definitely going to save, its so good having money, I'm no longer a freeloader!  Better late than never haha.

I definitely feel more confident around the biggies, we have to handle them so much and the amount of rugging and un-rugging done in a day is crazy!
That sounds like a horrible experience haha. Hopefully I am never in that situation lol.

I'm really needing to buy a pair of boots, I can barely walk wearing my cheap Kmart boots! I've been looking at some, I'm a bit torn between ariat work boots or mongrel boots.  :) Not sure yet
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
I love my Ariats, never heard of the others, but which will depend on what fits you best.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
I wear Caterpillars , got them from a hardware store , they are a boot but feel more like a hiking boot , so they are really comfortable.

Convex Mid boot they are called.  Highly recommend them :)

Rugs on , Rugs off, rugs on, rugs off. Can you imagine how I feel living in Melb , its the story of my life  hahahaha

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
Sounds too funny!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'