Author Topic: Our new set of wheels.  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Our new set of wheels.
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
Hi all !

Yesterday afternoon I went and picked up a pony cart for Kevin. I've always wanted to get into driving for fun, and a few years back I bought a driving harness but I sold it as I couldn't find a cart.

So the seller had it in storage for 30 years, he said his dad had it professionally built new around 1980 ish. His dad passed away a few years after they got it so the he just stored it as a keepsake.

I really love the look of it, it needs a new paint job as its peeling from being in storage. It will get all new gold stripes and mum is going to make me a red vinyl seat (It has red carpet that's a bit faded and old). But overall its in full working order. It came with a full PVC harness and I paid $800 for it all. The seller got it valued by someone at a pony club and they estimated the cart alone was worth $1500, without the harness.

Since I am new to all this, I'd love some advice and tips on training Kevin.  :)
I've done a lot of work with him over the past 2 years, he has been ridden by kids on and off lead and he is great with the bridle. I've done a lot of desensitising with him, he's a very smart horse and nothing much phases him. I don't want to show him or anything, I just want to train him to go on a casual drive here and there.

Thanks!  ;D
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Carly Rae

Re: Our new set of wheels.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
Pics  :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:44:23 PM »
And Kevin  :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
Very cool Carly !!!  I cant be any help to you what so ever with cart driving/harnesses etc. 

What I do with my Tbs when I get one off the track is put the lunging system on. I teach them to ground drive a little before I actually get on. It actually really helps and would probably help you too. Kevin would need to realize and get used to having the cart behind him. Hearing you and directions you give him will be a start.

Hopefully someone else can give you better advice :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »
Quite a lovely cart!!  He's going to look so handsome in his harness with this nice cart to pull!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
Thanks!! I am so happy with it!  ;D ;D

I've been ground driving Kevin for a few months now and he's done really well  :) . He responds well to verbal/sounds, he will walk on when I click my tongue, and trots with 2 clicks and so on. When stopping a "Woahh" pulls him up, and he turns really well.
I had the cart around him today and he didn't even care, he was more interested in pulling the carpet off the seat. He has worn the harness with no worries. One downfall is that the bridle is a bit too big and I dont know how I could make it smaller, so Ill just use his regular bridle till I can sort something out.

Took me a while to sort the harness out but I watched a few videos and sorted it out... However I am unsure on how to attach the tug straps to the steering part? Like the holes in the straps look too small to go over the bars? I'm unsure if there's something missing or if Im supposed to just stretch it over the bars? It's kinda hard to explain, but Ill just post a photo. One side of the bars seem to have like a plastic cap on it. Anyone know how to hook this part up?  :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 06:29:26 PM »
No Idea, I think Paula would prob be the best person to give advice , Maybe Julie will be on sometime soon and could help or get some info off Paula for you :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:06 AM »
I've got it sorted now  :)
I took the breast plate into the saddlery and got it modified. It took about an hour to modify at a pretty decent price. The lady said that a lot of harnesses have to get modified because carts are made a bit different in Australia and some harnesses don't properly suit them. She also sewed a strap (I dont know what to call the material) all the way along the tug straps as they were quite thin and sometimes they wear through and break.

I'm still trying to fit it to him properly, so I've been doing a lot of adjusting, putting the cart on and off ect. He is so patient with it all.
There's a few local people who drive Clydesdales, I may try get in contact and see if they can assist me in hitching him up properly. I've been watching videos but the carts and harnesses all vary and I can't quite figure it out.  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:53 AM »
Well, I for one, am enjoying this adventure with you -- long distance -- and wish you all the best as you keep moving forward!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »
That's so great!!! Your going to have so much fun!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:29 PM »
Thanks!!  ;D

This is a super exciting adventure for me  :) I sometimes wished Kevin was a big horse so I could ride him- But technically this is the same? Haha!  ;D So he will be a kids riding pony and a driving pony!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 09:21:53 AM »
Looks e she's having a wonderful time!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
Just a quick check-in before church.  Congratulations on a LOVELY cart Carly!!  I'm quite envious, for sure.  As to the cart, does it have a spares box?  You'll need it once you start hooking up, to keep twine for fixing breaks, a very sharp knife in case you need it, a small hand pump if those are regular air tires (though they look like no flats) and other items that I'll have to look up to refresh my memory before I can tell you.

I see you've been doing your ground driving.  Good for you, since you are incorporating obstacles, serpentines and other non straight line movements.  We might be about the same stage, since Paula was kind enough to loan me a work harness for Spanky.  He's 8" shorter than the Shetland she used it on, but his very ROUND barrel takes it up. It's good that you're getting him familiar with the cart.  Just be sure he's ready before you hook him up.  Spanky is goosey about his butt.  Isn't too fond of the breeching, and definitely doesn't want a crupper!  So guess what?  He gets more time with stuff hanging over, under and around his hind end.  From draping a loose crupper, to looping his tail to one side or the other and tucked under a part of the harness, to "accidentally" having a rein flip under his tail.....I use all these to desensitize him.

Kevin seems quite calm now that he's gelded (and has no Toby to instigate.)  He seems to be tolerating a rider well, although I'd be keeping my eye on him if I were there.  The hard eye and tight lifted nostrils are what caught my attention.  Not saying there's anything wrong, just that I'd keep my awareness up.  And whoda thunk they make Aussie saddles that small?!

Guess I got sidetracked. I meant to go on about having him dragging various stuff before hooking him up to such a lovely cart.  If you have pool noodles you can start with typing them from the saddle and letting them drag along like shafts.  They're soft and won't cause damage if he has a bit of a fit.  You can also drape liter jugs with rocks inside them on him, small bits of blanket, whatever else you can safely use.  From the noodles, you can transition to pvc pipe or small poles as shafts.  Be sure to drive over obstacles when using your training shafts.  That will accustom Kevin to having the shafts bouncing around on all parts of his sides, and to build his trust that you'll keep him safe.

Ok, that's really enough for a "just a quick comment" comment!  LOL  Have fun bringing him along.  I guess we'll have to start our own driving thread to compare notes.  It'll be interesting, since you're training to cart and I'm having to focus on work-type (think mini farm draft) exercises.  While you and Kevin are having a nice day out trotting 'round the park, Spanky and I will be dragging little logs 'round the pasture. Happy days for everyone! :-)
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 01:10:39 AM »
He looks like he loves the kids Carly and some great advice from Julie  :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »
Thanks so much for the information Julie  :)
I haven't got a spares box but I'll surely look into one, especially for my tyres as they are air tyres, and them being 30 years old it might come in handy.
I am going to try clear a space in the paddock and fence it so I have a larger area to work with him as the one I have near the stables is quite small.
Kevin is good with mostly everything so far, but he is a bit unsure of things being behind him that are a bit noisy and I'm sure we will have a few more obstacles to face before we are ready to drive. But I will take my time with him and do a lot of desensitising, I like your pool noodle idea so I'll definitely give it a try!  :)

He really does like kids, he is so gentle with them. When they have had a ride they always give him a kiss on the nose. My 2 little cousins love it when he goes for a trot for them, they think its great fun!  :)