Author Topic: Another March Blizzard  (Read 944 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Another March Blizzard
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
Pictures are from the March 2013 Blizzard, I'm not staying out there long enough to get new pictures, this year the Blizzard isn't quit as bad as it was back then.
First three pics are from March 4, 2013
Next three, are from March 18, 2013, showing the snow that was still around.
And, there will be one more picture in the next post
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
Re: Another March Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
And, March 27th, the county snow plow finally made it down our driveway.

Just glad this year's Blizzard isn't near this bad.  As far as I know the wind is supposed to let up later today.
I won't be going to my meeting in town tonight, I had decided that much yesterday, and this morning I got an e-mail, it's been postponed til next Monday, as roads in town are bad too.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »
I couldnt live anywhere it snowed. Just when the weather looked on the up for you. Good thing you were able to get those trims in Chanda.

Hope you start to defrost soon. :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »
I couldnt live anywhere it snowed. Just when the weather looked on the up for you. Good thing you were able to get those trims in Chanda.

You could probably handle it in one the areas where it doesn't come and stay for months on end (so don't pick MT ;) ).
Temps aren't too horrible and at least with a Blizzard coming in March, spring is really just around the corner.  I'll take a spring snow storm over one in Oct/Nov, when it would mean months of winter weather and snow.   Hopefully, this is breaking the drought, and we'll have good pasture and hay this year.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »
Well I hope this does mean the end of the drought for you. Maybe Diane could send a little tropical weather your way, heat and rain , so you get some great hay this year :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
I would CERTAINLY agree to that!   ;)
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »

You could probably handle it in one the areas where it doesn't come and stay for months on end (so don't pick MT ;) ).
Temps aren't too horrible and at least with a Blizzard coming in March, spring is really just around the corner.  I'll take a spring snow storm over one in Oct/Nov, when it would mean months of winter weather and snow.   Hopefully, this is breaking the drought, and we'll have good pasture and hay this year.

You know Chanda, I've spent about equal parts of my life in places like yours, and places where it either doesn't snow much or at all.  Sometimes I think the reason snow bothers me so much here is because I'm never adequately prepared for it.  Up there (or out there, however it needs to be said) one starts preparing in late summer.  You try to lay in supplies, feed, equipment, wood if your using it to heat, and have all ready by mid to late September.  What always bothered me the most was the LENGTH of winter.  It just seemed to drag on......
...........and on.............
.......................................................and O-N......................................
Who wants to search for Easter eggs in snowbanks anyway??!!

OH MY GOSH!!  I just went into accuweather to see if you're between winter storms (I think you had one at the beginning of the week and are expecting another the beginning of next week.)  Anyway, I did NOT expect to see -10 degrees Fahrenheit in your area at all!  You poor thing.  It's calving season, mares possibly on the brink of foaling, and a death in the family.  Here's a *hug* and a  ;pray  that y'all stay positive and can see things around you to lift your spirits.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
Thanks.
It was looking up, then the wind hit last night and blew in snow, again.  ugh!
Probably won't make my meeting this Monday, unless there is a huge change in weather.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 04:06:43 AM »
Just started on the wood situation here , as we have a konara here . We also have ducted heating but it's way too expensive to run all the time . Whilst we don't get snow it does hover around 0c at night and the rain we get makes it really hard to replenish hay and grain , so understand everyone's need to "prepare" . I'll be buying my bulk bales of alfalfa ( which we call Lucerne here) and also Plain grass hay & grain shortly , so I can be as prepared as possible .

They are saying ( the weather experts) we could be in for one of the coldest winters yet . I've just sent my biggies rugs off for a check over so any repairs can be fixed .

I like to give my horses tails a good trim before winter , nothing annoys me more seeing a horse in the mud with its tail dragging through puddles .

It is starting to cool down at nights here so I hope everyone's starting to feel some warmth your end 😊

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »
I just laugh when I hear people here thinking it's SO COLD!

We have been in the 70's and low 80's during the day, but had some glorious nights in the 40's, and more to come this week!  I just love it.  I'd happily share a few more warm degrees if there was a way I could.   ;D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 04:48:14 AM »
Oh I would love that temp all year round but would need the tropical rains too 😊

My house is a little on the cleaner side in winter  ;D