Message Boards > Foaling Questions & Help

Sophia - 2018

(1/29) > >>

Chanda:
She sure is starting look like her exposure is actually a pregnancy, so I'll start a thread for her and you can cross your fingers with me.   I'll try to get up all the details, eventually.

Lucky Harts Simply Sophia, 2005 grey mare; sire Lucky "C" Farms Robby, dam is a Roan Ranger daughter (also Blue Boy back there).   Exposed to silver black tobiano, that's all I know at this time.

She's 35-36" tall.

She could go as early as March, as what little foaling history I have she appears to be a 10 monther.  She was exposed for 2 months to the stallion, pasture breeding.  [I have the dates somewhere.]

[First pic from the seller, second after I got her home.]

dcwolcott:
Ah, yes!! At least that's my vote!!

She's so pretty, Chanda. 

Lucky C Farms Robby, per the AMHA is a palomino.  Did the old owner file a stud report for you? 

Of course Sophia is also registered in AMHA as a solid palomino and was brought permanent at 33.75", but never DNA tested. AMHR has her as a grey mare, again at 33.75".  Sophia is showing that mom was also a registered palomino, too.  Must have a greying gene in there somewhere.

Gotta love the colors horses are registered -- so far from the truth sometimes.  Her daddy, Robby, do you know whether he is truly a palomino?  He is out of a solid cremello mare from a bay stallion, and registered palomino at 30.50"  A little guy!

This is exciting!  Looks like you'll have some foaling to do this spring!  And we'll enjoy watching!!

Chanda:
As far as I know stud report has been filed, but haven't received my breeding cert. Yet.
As far as I know Robby was palomino.
When I transferred, I thought I fixed her height, she's definitely over 34".
Her maternal grandmother or maybe it's great grand is Blue Boy bred, so that's where the grey comes from, guessing color was never updated when turned.  I didn't know she was A papered, so good to know she was initially palomino, if her foal color was guessed right.

Chanda:
Here's what I got back from the seller when I asked about stallion certi

Hi Chanda.  I sure hope she is pregnant.  That would be great!!  I will get you a breeders certificate.  If she caught the first time the stud bred her she will be due about the middle of March.  But she showed heat again two more times while running with him at Liz's place so not really sure what went on with her.  I have read they can show heat and still be pregnant so I don't really know what to think about her.  She ran with him and the herd then from the 10th of May until 8/1.

Sorry.  Had to go to the book. My head is not always reliable:):). She went to the pasture with the herd and the stud on June 24th.

Asking to find out if she was actually first turned out on June 24th, as that would have a better foaling time than early May turn out for up here.

Chanda:
And, the response:

I bred her at my place on April 23.  He bred her twice that day and the next day she ate his lunch:):). So I thought he had got her as she was going out.  The stud went out to Liz's on May 1 but I have another stud I used to check her back.  She never showed heat again at my place so I sent her out to Liz's in June just to run out for a while.  I totally thought she was bred cause she never showed heat again at my place.

There is a chance that an April heat is a transitional heat in northern Montana, and I sure hope it was, cause that's too early for foaling here.  [Her seller is down on the river bottom, so they can have milder weather than we do in winter.]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version