Author Topic: Plans for the festive season ?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Ryan

Plans for the festive season ?
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »
Anyone heading away on vacation ? Plans with the family for xmas ? Anyone cooking ?

Just having a quiet one here this Christmas , Lunch with dads side this Sunday , catching up with Mum Christmas day for Breakfast.

If Its stinking hot christmas day , Ill be staying close to the horses, so I can change waters over and hose and scrape horses down. Might go round to my SIL for a swim.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Plans for the festive season ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:52 PM »
Just the usual.   Dinner with the in-laws Christmas Eve, then brunch with my Mom on Christmas Day; weather permitting, of course (it's been unusually nice so far this winter, but that can change in an instant).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:59:45 PM »
Going to my oldest son's home on Christmas Eve to prep for Christmas Day -- it's the biggest house of the "local" family, only an hour away.  I'm cooking dinner for 21 people -- a Norwegian Christmas meal which is our tradition.  We have roasted pork loin, Kaneflies (which is like German Spaetzle with a Norwegian twist), Creamed Cabbage with Nutmeg, Creamed Corn (made with heavy cream, cream cheese and slow cooked in Crock Pot), Biscuits, Gravy, a green jello salad with cottage cheese and spices and cold Rice Pudding for dessert with Almond flavor and slices of almonds.  Then we add some American dishes: Green Bean Casserole and pies for my son's wife -- who loves the green bean casserole and pies -- and had them growing up, so we humor her!

Only 6 grandchildren will be there, as 2 are in Seattle and 2 in Texas (that I just visited before Katy deployed last Friday).  So, it should be a really fun day, and my mom always enjoys seeing all the Great-grandchildren opening presents.

Busy day!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »
I think our family is going to Dianes sons house!!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
I think im coming to that too :)  Diane that sounds amazing !!

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Welcome! The more the merrier!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
Xmas day for me is usually wake up, coffee, presents, then i leave for the yard and go for a hack and sort out Jed, then home for dinner and drinks lol i might try to squeeze in a drive this year with Charm cause thats something ive been wanting to do for a while

Offline Anna

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
Ooooo I would love to jump on the plane and join you Diane, but I'm afraid the cheerful noise and general hub bub would be too much for me right now. In fact I'm opting for a quiet Christmas this year. After all the months of listening to builders hammering, banging. clanking and general noise, I'm looking for some peace - until they all return to continue/finish our barn conversion in the New Year. Daughter Cathy and g/son Kyrian will be with me Christmas Day evening and for Boxing Day, then I'm sending them off to join the rest of the family down in Sussex, leaving me to please myself with my time. Lots of wandering the fields with the dog and the cats (why do our cats think they are dogs and need to be walked every day?). chatting to the minis or just sitting on a log down in the woods, relaxing. Perfect!
By the way I hope Katy hasn't been sent anywhere too 'nasty' this time - when is she due back? 

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
Hayley your Christmas day sounds spot on to me :)

Anna , It sounds like the building plans are well on the way for you. Hopefully your winter weather doesn't play too much havoc and the builders are able to finish in the new year :)
Ive seen the pics of your wonderful fields and a walk on xmas day sounds pretty good to me :)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
I bought her a new harness 2 months ago and still have not used it. Whats wrong with me?! I bought it just for her. I think i just hate fluffy horses so much i cant even look at them in winter ahahhahahaha im genuinely considering clipping her just to drive, cause then i would HAVE to keep her in to stay warm, thus need to exercise her more. Cruel though :p ill stick to my xmas day thing.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
Oh, that sounds lovely, Anna.  They sent her to Kuwait, and it's supposed to be a "short" deployment...90-100 days.  I just pray that things stay quiet there.  She's a "Special Ops" surgeon, who is usually deployed with the Special Forces and CIA, and even though her current orders say Kuwait, she has warned me, that if need be, they can immediately change her orders and send her out with the "Special Ops/CIA" group to parts unknown.  So, I'm praying for a quiet season -- where she can go there and come back from there.  This deployment stuff is getting too stressful for her old mom.  She's got about 4-1/2 years to go before she retires, but with Joshua 9 and Rachel only 6, she's getting tired of leaving, too.  They are now getting into sports and other such fun -- scouting and clubs, and she'd like to spend more time with them before they're grown and gone.  Time goes so fast, as you and I know, and she's an "older" mother -- will turn 43 in 2018 -- so doesn't want to miss out on the kids growing up.

Your  Christmas sounds delightful!  I'm all for quiet, but with a family my size, and all the grandchildren, quiet just doesn't seem to be "in the cards" for me right now.  Since my kids all had their kids so late in life, this craziness continues.  My mom turns 88 on January 7th, and amidst the confusion in her brain with Alzheimers, she does like seeing all the great-grandchildren opening presents -- and we don't know how many more years she'll have doing that, so we just move forward and party!  LOL  She's really confused most of the time, but when family gets together, she does still remember everyone -- so we're grateful for that.

Wish I could walk in your wonderful pastures with you.  It would do my spirit well.  Praying that all the constructions moves forward on schedule for you.  You've been at this for a long time, and I'm sure you're tired of all the construction changes.

Be blessed, my dear friend.  Think of you often!   ;pray ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
Im finishing work today for the year, so that means ill have limited access on the Ipad at home.

You never know , Santa may bring me a decent internet connection at home.

Merry Christmas to you all, happy holidays, have a safe festive season and take care

Heres to a really good 2018 :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
Ryan,
  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!   See you next year.  Talk to you soon.
Chanda
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 07:28:15 AM »
Merry Christmas Ryan!!  Happy New Year, too.  Hoping  "Santa" brings you a great internet connection!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »
Just came into work quickly to clean my desk( which I do once a year) and then we are off to lunch for our xmas break up.

So If I'm not able to get on here at home over the break , Take care everyone and merry Christmas :)