Message Boards > Follow Our Growing Foals

Moo

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ryan:
Agree that she is Super cute :)

Willow will only tolerate so much from Moo until she decides she has had enough.

She will grow out of it , you just need to take extra care in the meantime :)

Carly Rae:
Thought I'd do an update on Moo, or as we call her "Missy Moody".  :)
She's still very cheeky, but has definitely settled with her kicking, rearing and biting. She looks quite ugly at the moment, she's shedding her light winter coat and she is a dark browney-grey underneath.

I am also wanting your opinions (again).
When is the absolute earliest you'd wean your foals?
I'm asking because Willow is still not doing so well. I have spent hundreds on feeds and supplements for her, but she is still very thin and is just not herself. She is getting fed 3 times a day with unlimited grass, yet she isnt gaining any weight and still has very little energy. Moo is almost 3 months old now, she is very independent she will leave Willows sight for hours until she wants a feed.

I just want opinions on how early I could take her off Willow. I'm just worried about Willows health at the moment, I hate seeing her like this. But I also don't want to affect Moo's health by taking her away too early.

Here's some pics of the little girly!

Chanda:
If Willow is really being drug down by Moo, 3 months is an ok time to wean, 4-5 months would be better, but we don't want to hurt Willow's health.
What does Willow eat besides unlimited grass?  Lucerne would be very good for her, good protein and calorie level.

Carly Rae:
She's on a mix of Maxi Soy (High protein) and EasiSport (Energy) Plus an EVM Supplement. I have recently bought her "Pony Mixture" which is oat and grain free, it has lucerne chaff and Koola Blend pellets and its high protein and energy, I mix them all and split them into 3 meals.  With it I give her Rhodes grass which she doesn't eat much at all. I may have to go grab some lucerne tomorrow for her.

If I wean Moo early, should I be feeding her anything?

Chanda:
Yes, Moo should be on something.  I'm not sure what is recommended in Australia.  I feed the foals a growth formula or mare/foal formula. It's best if Moo is started on it before weaning, so she is used to it.  Perhaps, Ryan will chime in with a recommendation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version