Author Topic: Moo  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Moo
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:07 PM »
Rhodes is usually low carb, it's a grass hay; we don't have Rhodes in the states, so I can only guess it's lower in protein than Lucerne, since it's a grass hay.
Lucerne is usually low carb, it's a legume, and has good protein and calorie level.  However, some laminitic horses are sensitive to it, so just be careful and use it sparingly.
Do no use oaten, wheaten or barley hay for a laminitis prone horse, all have too high a carb level and could cause a major episode.
Beet pulp is a safe calorie source for laminitic horses.  I believe in Australia you have access to Speedibeet, micro-beet  and fiber-beet.  I know speedibeet and microbeet are just beet pulp products, I don't know if fiber-beet has other additives.    Beet pulp should be soaked, for one it usually makes it more palatable.
The Maxi-soy is safe for laminitics, but might lack something she needs.  [I can't get soyhull products here, so really don't know that much about them, other than they are pretty safe to feed.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
At best i would be sticking to the low Carb hay and adding a tiny bit of Lucerne hay into it. Yes both Zero and cool are both laminitis safe feeds , so you may as well stick to the Maxi soy. There is one product I would recommend you have a look at. "Gumnuts" by Mitavite is specifically designed for the older horse and pony and when I agisted years ago , the lady who owned the property had a very old arab mare. She was aged and began to drop weight so we started to feed her "gumnuts" and it did help to put weight on.

I probably sound like a broken record, but that lush green grass is the worst thing possible for willow. Unfortunately once a horse has had a bout of laminitis they are prone to it.

It makes it even harder for you Carly with the tropical weather you get. My "Caution " times here each year are at the start of spring when the heat arrives into the ground and also as the weather starts to cool down and the mildew arrives with the cooler nights.

With your weather up there, "When it rains" "it rains " then you have the constant humidity and heat.

As Willow is feeding for two , I would seriously consider weaning moo off her and see how she does regarding her weight. Some mares just cannot provide the nutrients for both themselves and little one as they get on in age :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »
I only use rhodes because it was recommended by my vet when Willow was really fat as it is a dry, low sugar grass hay. I just use it still cause all my other horses are fat and dont need anything fancy. But I'm happy to get Willow anything, I have never touched oaten, wheaten or barley for Willow.
I have been told by the produce store people that Maxi Soy is very similar to Speedibeet, just Maxi Soy is the cheaper option (half the price), so it could lack some things that could be beneficial for her like you said.

Ill have a look at them all when I go in and see which one is best.  :)

We have been getting rain all week here its crazy! It goes super hot, to freezing cold, it feels like the middle of winter here. It has been really difficult because Willow is SO fussy, now that everything is green I don't let her on the grass too much so I have to lock her up and feed her, but at times she wont eat what I give her and she will constantly neigh at me because shes hungry...
I just want my old bug back, shes not the same since Moo. We will get there eventually though  :)
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Ryan

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 04:56:13 PM »
Rhodes is good , I am using it myself for the minis at the moment.

Until Moo has been weaned , your really not going to see a great deal of improvement. Once she is eating for herself , she will pick up :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
Hows willow going Carly ? I see its been bucketing down up there !!

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:07 AM »
We did get A LOT of rain here, although no where near as much as Townsville! The rain here was much needed though, soon it will be winter and very little rain  :(

Willow has made such an improvement in weight, Moo has been off her for 2 weeks now and they are both doing well. It helped a lot that I was able to wean Piper with Moo so she had a buddy, Moo coped so well being away from Willow. Although silly me left the gate open and they both got out and went straight to Willow and Moo had a feed and Willow has milk again, but we are back on track again now.  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »
Sounds like some forward progress.  Good job!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 02:30:30 AM »
Hi! I have another question  :)

I've noticed when Moo walks there's a clicking sound in her hock/stifle area? I think its in both legs but I can only seem to see it in her left leg, but I can hear clicking from both legs. She walks fine and everything.

I looked on the internet and I read about locked stifles? Although I can't find anything about the clicking noises. I'm not 100% sure what it is, it doesn't seem to bother her though.
Anyone know what it may be?  :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
It sounds like locking stifles to me. There are plenty of treatment options , surgery being one.

Have you managed to wean her ? Hows willow doing ? :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
From what Ive read shes far from needing surgery.  :) I've read about ways to treat it yourself. But I just wanted to check incase it may have been something else- the clicking made me unsure  :)

Shes weaned off Willow now and they are both doing well. Willow is packing on her weight well, hopefully she keeps it on through winter.  :)

She has much more energy now. With Moo somedays she could only manage a slow walk, and she would often lay down. The other day when the neighbour bought in new horses she was galloping around the paddock with the others  ;D  Its great seeing her back to her old self.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »
Surgery would be for really bad cases, your right  :)  There is plenty of exercises you can do and some will grow out of it.

That's ace , I knew she would "Pick up" once moo was weaned. :):):)