Author Topic: Love my dogs!  (Read 511 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Love my dogs!
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Had an incident today. I have to say that after this I feel much safer having 2 great Pyrenees as guardians. These 2 fluffy furballs of love protected me against a pit bull. As a team they made sure i was safe. The female stayed close to me while my male fought a full grown pit bull and won. The pit bull left at a high rate of speed with my dogs right on his tail.
Both my pyrs are coming 2 yrs old. The male has a few bites nut he totally dominated the pit. I've seen him in action before running off 4 stray dogs by intimidation. This is the first time he had to use his instinct and muscle.
All I can say is never underestimate a great Pyrenees ability to do his job.
I am glad to know my dogs guard my miniature horses, and my family.
Though is was obvious he could have killed the pit he let go once the Pitt backed down. Threat diffused. Good dog!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Love my dogs!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
Glad you are safe and your Great Pyrs did their job very well.

I gotta ask...  How much do they eat?   It seems like we go through a ton of dog food with 3 mid-size stock dogs, and they aren't near as big a Pyr.  Thanks
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »
I am honestly not for sure... I give them each 6 cups twice daily....and pretty sure my family gives them mid day or late evening another 3-6. And neither of mine are overweight. But they are very active. Sometimes I thing they are so trim they could use weight lol.
We feed 4 health grain free from local tractor supply. We mix different flavors together sometimes throw in a small bag of 4 health puppy.  I do give them my hamburger grease top over their feed but it's not very much. They get egg and Alaska salmon oil too at times top dressed. Usually once a week I throw them each a bit of raw chicken and beef... really wish I could feed raw all the time but it's impossible with life.
Bear got a skin disorder  from the flood waters lost a lot of hair on hos legs and sides. It's slowly coming back and seems we found the correct treatment and he is looking much better. Sure had me worried for a while. I thought he was going to be bald for winter.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
So glad you are safe and HOORAY for the kids doing such a fine job!!

This is a great story, and I, too, would feel much safer knowing they both are competent protectors!!  Two hugs around the neck from me for saving you, my friend!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »
Glad to hear your ok and the dogs protected you.

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »
Thats awesome! It takes some dog power (mentally an physically but a hell of a lot of it mentally) to drive off a pit.