Author Topic: Horse leg problem  (Read 1761 times)

Offline elizabeth.conder

Re: Horse leg problem
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »
That’s encouraging! I don’t have any full body pictures except from a while ago. I am out of town this week so I’ll try to get some next week?
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »
Yeah thats fine . Its more to compare what he looks like now and summer next year. Between the exercises and being out on the spring Grass and a growth spurt , I really think you will notice a big change between now and when summer arrives for you.

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 02:09:22 AM »
Speaking honestly I would say it looks much worse than it is because he’s quite thin in the first photo. He’s filled out a bit in the second and it then looks a bit better. I don’t think he will have halter legs but with continued weight gain and muscle it will look slightly better

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
I agree.  He won't ever have "halter lets", but he should be a fine driving horse!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
I will try to get a good current photo of him tomorrow. In the meanwhile, here he is over summer. Not too long before the other photo I posted. I’d love to still train and drive him! But I’m just not sure wether or not he should be gelded.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 09:07:48 PM »
Are you looking to breed with him and sell his offspring ? Unfortunately "cow hocked" is seen as a major conformation issue for some and may very well turn potential buyers away, especially if they wish to view the stallion. If he happens to pass it onto his offspring then you have another issue in itself. Gelding him will also make for a "better student"

I am 100% with you in saying you should definitely teach him to drive. Being that he is only a 2yo, he is still a baby in my eyes, most of my horses over the years and ones ive been involved with are usually left till they are 3yos before being broken in, as they are still developing. It will certainly help your cause by doing heaps of exercises and hill work as mentioned by others here, in the leadup to teaching him to drive.

Its a big decision to make , keep us posted on what you decide .

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »
Here are some pictures from today. I think I’ve decided to go ahead and held him. He has nice bloodlines (part of the reason I bought him), but I just don’t like the idea of him potentially passing down that much cowhock.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »
I think your making the right decision, especially if your keen on breeding in the future. Will you still plan to teach him to drive ?

I see he is sporting his winter coat :)

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 06:04:50 PM »
I will have to see if I can. I would definitely like to! Yes and they look completely ridiculous. It is amazing to me how long and thick they get. This is one of my favorite pictures that I show people when they ask why my minis are so fat. I sometimes have to really convince them that this is the same horse only a few weeks apart

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
Thats a great Pic comparison !!!  Had you showed me them individually , I would have said not the same horse either.

Its crazy how quickly winter coats grow. I only wish my big horses grew a coat like the little ones, Id think twice about rugging them.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »
Or those pre- and post- clipping pictures.   The boys were already partially shed out when I decided to clip, but they had that tangled baby fuzz, winter woolies coat going on, so I clipped to get rid of the knots and mats that were pulling.
This is Monte as a  yearling.  [Out of order, the more fuzzy pic with Manny in the pic, too, was taken in February.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
All that fuzz :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
I truly believe you are making the right decision to geld him.  While that is an acceptable problem with driving horses, I know you're wanting to show, and should an offspring have that cow-hock, they could never be shown as halter horses.  But for driving, he should make a fine driving horse with his lines!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
I too think you are making the right decision to geld him.  If you were wanting to breed him im afraid to say only people who should not be breeding would be asking for him. He will make a fabulous driving gelding and i cant wait to see him harnessed up :D