Message Boards > General Discussion

Horse leg problem

<< < (5/6) > >>

Ryan:
Are you looking to breed with him and sell his offspring ? Unfortunately "cow hocked" is seen as a major conformation issue for some and may very well turn potential buyers away, especially if they wish to view the stallion. If he happens to pass it onto his offspring then you have another issue in itself. Gelding him will also make for a "better student"

I am 100% with you in saying you should definitely teach him to drive. Being that he is only a 2yo, he is still a baby in my eyes, most of my horses over the years and ones ive been involved with are usually left till they are 3yos before being broken in, as they are still developing. It will certainly help your cause by doing heaps of exercises and hill work as mentioned by others here, in the leadup to teaching him to drive.

Its a big decision to make , keep us posted on what you decide .

elizabeth.conder:
Here are some pictures from today. I think I’ve decided to go ahead and held him. He has nice bloodlines (part of the reason I bought him), but I just don’t like the idea of him potentially passing down that much cowhock.

Ryan:
I think your making the right decision, especially if your keen on breeding in the future. Will you still plan to teach him to drive ?

I see he is sporting his winter coat :)

elizabeth.conder:
I will have to see if I can. I would definitely like to! Yes and they look completely ridiculous. It is amazing to me how long and thick they get. This is one of my favorite pictures that I show people when they ask why my minis are so fat. I sometimes have to really convince them that this is the same horse only a few weeks apart

Ryan:
Thats a great Pic comparison !!!  Had you showed me them individually , I would have said not the same horse either.

Its crazy how quickly winter coats grow. I only wish my big horses grew a coat like the little ones, Id think twice about rugging them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version