Author Topic: Horse leg problem  (Read 1762 times)

Offline elizabeth.conder

Horse leg problem
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

I don’t post a lot but I do read everything that is posted and visit multiple times a day. I really enjoy this forum. I have a question about my little stallion. He is a two year old and I’ve had him for about a year. He comes from driving lines and so my intention was to train him to drive and keep him as a herdsire. Last winter we went through a very rough time as I tried to get him to behave and finally over the summer he has really started listening. Then I realized something was going on with his hind end. I knew he was a little cowhocked. But suddenly his Hicks were basically touching. I tried several different things but it didn’t help. I then had to go away for college and thankfully found a place to board my minis. I have a farrier working on him and I had a chiropractor out today to work on him. Apparently he was pretty out of line. I was just curious if any of y’all have had something like this happen? And what else can I do?
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Horse leg problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
If they didn't offer suggestions as to how it happened, I'll venture a guess he was playing to hard and hurt himself.
Sounds like he'll probably come right with adjustment and good farrier care.  Cow hocked is some what common in driving horses, as long as it's mild it not a bad thing, as it seems to help them drive up under themselves and move out.    I'll venture a guess that hill work and low cavaletti's would be helpful just like they are with stifle issues, as they strengthen the hind end.
Also good balanced diet to be sure he gets all he needs to build strong bone and muscle.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
TOTALLY agree!  I know of tons of successful driving horses (Champions and more) that are cow hocked. Lots of times, this is what turns them from a Halter show horse to a career driving horse in show homes.

I'm also a fan of taking him backwards over low cavaletti's as it further strengthens the hip and leg muscles.  Good diet, and it sounds like between the good farrier care and the chiropractor, he may do just fine, and turn into a good driving horse for you.

I'm also thinking he probably hurt himself, if this wasn't evident before.  If he was a little cow-hocked before, and you say he came from driving lines, then this is probably his perfect inheritance and may have been a trait he inherited.

In YOUR future, if you want to show in other than driving, you may have to decide on a different stallion, to keep those perfect legs and be successful in halter, etc.  But for now, look at your mares with a critical eye, and see if they have straight legs for halter, or if you may need to pursue using a different stallion for them.  You can always do an "outside" breeding for a stud fee, which is certainly cheaper than purchasing another stallion for that goal.

Keep us posted!  We're excited to hear how he comes along!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »
I definitely will let y’all know if the chiropractor helps it. If not I plan on gelding him. Don’t know where I’ll go after that. I might look at buying a different stallion or just using an outside stallion. One of my mates is halter bred and one is more driving I think. My other little mare I might just train as a therapy mini.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:18:06 PM »
I agree with both responses and would be definitely trying some hill work and cavalettis.

The only thing I wanted to add was that he is still very young, so he is still growing.

Keep us posted on how he is going .

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
How did you go with the Chiro ?

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
She said he was pretty out of line. She did quite a bit with him, but I’m not seeing any change yet. She thinks she will be able to tell by early December if he will grow out of it. At this point I don’t really think he will. I will keep my working with him and see what happens. I have my eyes on another stallion who has been shown and excelled as well has produced a grand champion filly, in case he doesn’t straighten out. I tried to post pictures earlier but my phone wouldn’t work with me.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
Fingers crossed for you :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
Sure do hope you see some improvement. Please keep us updated on his progress.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 06:26:16 PM »
For sure!  We're all praying! ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
Here’s a pic from midsummer

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
And one from last week after the farrier had worked with as well as the chiropractor

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
He looks much better in the second Picture. As mentioned earlier in the thread try taking him backwards over small cavalettis and if you have any hills , try taking him up and down them as they will help to strengthen his muscles.

Have you got any recent full body pics of him?  If so could you post them.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »
He looks much better in the second Picture. As mentioned earlier in the thread try taking him backwards over small cavalettis and if you have any hills , try taking him up and down them as they will help to strengthen his muscles.
Ok, so I would have suggested the opposite...  Forward over the cavaletti and backwards hillwork; although either probably accomplish similar results.   

I'm not too sure that hills are why my foals are so strong in the leg, we are on slope, everything is up and downhill; ok, so not steep, nor tall, but all a slope.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
The slope your talking about Chanda would definitely be the reason for being so strong in the leg. Even if its not a huge angle , moving up and down it and also the balance at a stand still.