Author Topic: Willow  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Willow
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:35:18 AM »
Hi!
A few days ago when grooming Willow I spotted that she had a large udder, and lately she has been very big in the belly.
I've been keeping an eye on her and her udder is getting bigger. However, we are thinking it could be a phantom pregnancy.

In April this year we thought she was ready to foal, then she got laminitis pretty bad and the vet said the foal would have died.
Its been 8 months since then, and she is showing signs of being pregnant.
I did have my stallion Toby and thinking back I had him tethered to a post a few times (on a long rope) and there was an electric fence that wasn't on, he would walk straight under it into the paddock to eat, and the other horses would hang around him, so he very well could have bred her then. But that would have been after she got laminitis. So she would only be 8 months pregnant. Which is why we are thinking it could be a phantom? But I am still treating her as though she's pregnant just incase, and I am being very cautious not to let her on green grass to trigger another bout of laminitis.

What do you all think?
The first 3 photos are from the 5th of this month.
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Carly Rae

Re: Willow
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:36:16 AM »
These are from today.
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:42:45 AM »
Well well!! She certainly has an udder going on. Her belly looks dropped to me. Its hard to say if its phantom or not without being able to touch her in person and without having a pregnancy test done. But being that you do have a stallion on the property anything is possible! I would be preparing for a wee one just in case!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »
I'd have to agree, that udder is certainly there, and you know those boys! 

I think you're wise being prepared, and taking care of her as if she's pregnant.  Certainly could be!

Keep us posted, and we'll be praying she stays healthy, and that a new little one is on its way for you!   ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
I also agree and think your doing the right thing. I just bumped her old thread so we can compare Pics.

Like in the last thread, I dont think she is massive , but that is certainly a big udder she has going on there, so being prepared that she is pregnant is the best way to go.

I cant stress enough to limit her grass intake at this time. Pregnant mares can trigger laminitic episodes.

Fingers crossed theres a little one on the way :) ;pray

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 07:05:45 AM »
Congratulations on how she looks, Carly!! I must say, you've done a fantastic job of getting her into a nice condition. 🙆🙆🙆🙆🙆🙆.

I figure that by the time you read this, you'll probably be updating with an announcement. Either the foal is here or you're dusting off the sleeping bag.

You've been with us for quite awhile, and aren't as green as you used to be. Trust your instincts, keep her in this great shape, gather up you foaling kit and get some sleep while you can.

Blessings from your friend in North Carolina.

Julie
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
Hows she travelling Carly ? :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
Yes anxiously awaiting news!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:36:10 AM »
DITTO!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
Just got a text from Carly to say that the other day she felt the foal kicking.

She took her mum out this morning and they could see the foal kicking without even trying to feel for it.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
What does everyone think ?

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
I say that belly looks pointy and at, or a bit in front of, center. Fairly slab sided, with a bit of indentation beside tail. Mostly full bag with a bit of wax and milk. Very inward looking eye.

I say, don't go anywhere. Pull up a cot and a thermos. Saying prayers here for an uneventful arrival!
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »
I agree too Julie, Carly is keeping a very close eye on her. That belly is definitely dropping compared to the last Pic.

;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray

Offline Anna

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 02:54:11 AM »
Ooooo foal alert! I agree with everyone Carly - don't take your eyes off her for any reason. Good luck!  ;pray

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
DITTO THAT!!!  Certainly praying for a safe delivery of a healthy little one!  Make the coffee, get out the toothpicks and keep us posted!!!   ;pray ;pray